JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What 'Condition' do you carry in?

• NO round in the Chamber, Safety ON

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • NO round in the Chamber, Safety OFF

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • NO round in the Chamber, NO Safety

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • ONE in the Chamber, Safety ON

Votes: 63 32.5%
  • ONE in the Chamber, Safety OFF

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • ONE in the Chamber, NO Safety

Votes: 97 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Depends on the Gun

Votes: 39 20.1%

• Total voters
This is the very reason is why DA/SA pistols were invented.

Anyone still relying on a SA pistols these days is pretty much relying on an antique for protection.

You betcha, it's still capable of sending a round downrange. After all that's what it's all about. Focus on the skill, not the implement. Age doesn't make my pistol (or me) any less lethal. Sounds like you believe the gun counter sales b.s.

Double action pistols evolved, as to why? I can't say, I just know I have no problem with either.

Last Edited:
You betcha, it's still capable of sending a round downrange. After all that's what it's all about. Focus on the skill, not the implement. Age doesn't make my pistol (or me) any less lethal. Sounds like you believe the gun counter sales b.s.

Double action pistols evolved, as to why? I can't say, I just know I have no problem with either.
Yea, it's like saying manual transmission vehicles and these things called "knives" are antiques also.
lol
Yea, carry chambered or you'll be a six foot deep antique with a cherry headstone on top.

Its just another one of those things that makes absolutely no difference that people get worked up about. I dont carry one in the chamber so if I have to pull a gun out I know to take that extra 1/2 second and rack the slide back. Its not going to make me late for a gun fight.

Personally, I think Jeff Cooper was a jackass.

Its just another one of those things that makes absolutely no difference that people get worked up about. I dont carry one in the chamber so if I have to pull a gun out I know to take that extra 1/2 second and rack the slide back. Its not going to make me late for a gun fight.

Preach it. He was on the scene way before there even was Call of Duty!

Well I think the important thing in this case is practicing the one handed rack and observing what you can use when you only have one hand.
Belt; shoe sole, counter, etc.

Just the same if you get shot or stabbed in one arm/hand.

Short-stroking a pistol slide can be the last mistake you make. Darwin and Murphy make a formidable team. I don't know a single professional who carries a firearm that is not immediately ready to run.

Some people will not let facts change their ideas.

Blessed is he who knows the difference.

IMO it's less about a fast draw or shaving 0.5 seconds from your draw to ready and more about 90% of failures in a simi-auto that can happen are when chambering the first round.

In my mind I'd rather have a 99.9% chance of at least one round that will fire, even if the 2nd jams and I have to clear it.

As I've said before though, it is dealers choice and if you would rather rack under pressure then only you know if that's best for you.;)

Some make the decision to carry with one in the chamber, some do not for a variety or reasons, that is entirely up to that person and should not be judged! I carry in condition 1 all the time regardless of conditions and that's my choice! Given that If the time ever comes, I want the least chances of failure possible!

the way a pro carries a gun and the way I carry a gun coulldnt be more different. lots of hostering and unholstering and ggetting left unattended in a glove box.

Doc points to something I have seen a lot of over the years, Short Stroking!!! It happens many times during a normal practice, Imagine your life depending on that EXTRA action, No a chance in hell for me!

If there is any scenario in which a bad guy is even close to you, much less in contact with you, you will NOT NOT NOT be able to charge a round into the chamber.

Unless you're carrying a Nambu or a Colt Single Action, everyone must carry with a round in the chamber!!!

BS. Most of the police in the world and most of the military in the world for that matter carry empty chamber safety off and for most of the 20th century in this country that was the most common and accepted carry mode in the US as well. The cock and lock thing is the result of one man popularizing the concept. One mans word is not Gospel. It might be an accepted carry practice but it certainly is not the only viable carry method.

My word is absolutely not gospel. (EDIT: I just realized you were talking about Col. Cooper, not me. But you have to admit he was pretty awesome!) It is just my opinion, even though stated very strongly.

Military officials around the world mandating that their soldiers carry without a round in the chamber has ZERO bearing on a concealed carrier. Especially since, when it comes to handling a handgun, a concealed carrier should be much more skilled than the average soldier around the world.

And don't even start with police training and how amazingly skilled with a pistol is the average cop.

Last Edited:
You betcha, it's still capable of sending a round downrange. After all that's what it's all about.

That is a silly statement to make. A muzzleloading single shot flintlock pistol can send a round downrange too.

It is something called progress.

That is a silly statement to make. A muzzleloading single shot flintlock pistol can send a round downrange too.

It is something called progress.

Oddly enough one of the pistols I shoot the most accurately is a .54 caliber single shot cap lock pistol , I built. :)

While even I who loves black powder firearms would not suggest using a muzzle loading pistol or even a cap and ball revolver as a carry gun , one needs to remember that just 'casue its old , dosen't mean it won't still kill or work as intended 100 plus years ago.

Whatever you pick for a carry gun , it should be a gun that you can carry , operate and hit with.
All without any undone thought on your part.
Which means that it might be different than what works for someone else.
What is "right" for you , may be "wrong" for me.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top