JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What 'Condition' do you carry in?

• NO round in the Chamber, Safety ON

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • NO round in the Chamber, Safety OFF

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • NO round in the Chamber, NO Safety

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • ONE in the Chamber, Safety ON

Votes: 63 32.5%
  • ONE in the Chamber, Safety OFF

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • ONE in the Chamber, NO Safety

Votes: 97 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Depends on the Gun

Votes: 39 20.1%

• Total voters
Man, "the best answer" to that generic question is so subjective. And very personal.

If I were LEO (again) in the kind of job where open carry was the norm, I'd keep one in the chamber in a holstered pistol on my belt. But that's not how I earn my income anymore.

My civilian personal carry policy in this century involves cars, trucks, motor boats, kayaks, bikes, pockets, backpacks, drybags, shirts, jackets, etc., all maintaining 100% concealment. So it's no longer how I carry a weapon, but which one, why and where. And it differs.

Being I only have ONE handgun, it is in the safe when not strapped to me! When that is is not for public dissemination. It is still in condition one in the holster and the extra mags are next to it. When I'm home my SD of choice is a loaded 18+inch barreled 12 Ga. at my right hand when I'm sitting here( Most of the time I'm home).

Warning , a little bit off topic.
The question was asked a few posts ago about storing a firearm while its loaded. ( as in Why? )
I will sometimes keep a loaded muzzleloader around during hunting season. ( not capped or primed )
If I do this I take a piece of red patching cloth and slide it under the ramrod near the muzzle to remind me that it is loaded.

Just throwing this idea out there and not suggesting that anyone store their gun loaded.
But IF you do , maybe mark it somehow as a reminder ...
Again sorry for being a bit off topic.
Andy

Last Edited:
you guys can do what you want but I think storing a loaded firearms is a recipe for disaster.

(not referring to unprimed muzzleloaders...)

if the sidearm is in my CC rotation then it's most certainly chambered. If it's not on my person, then it is indeed securely locked away in the secret place where it's not accessible to anyone other than the wife or myself.

Storage details intentionally not disclosed...

you guys can do what you want but I think storing a loaded firearms is a recipe for disaster.

Frequently manipulating a firearm also carries risks. For example, bullet set-back. Or just getting distracted when loading or unloading.

"Every gun is loaded." There is no point in trying to make that not so. If you really follow that rule, there should be no danger in storing a gun loaded - or at least, no more risk than the alternative.

Anyway, the ruling class always wants us to store our guns unloaded, making them effectively a club. Reason enough to do the opposite... :)

Anyway, the ruling class always wants us to store our guns unloaded, making them effectively a club. Reason enough to do the opposite...

maybe if gun owners never "accidentally" shot their children the ruling class wouldnt have anything to bring up...

Im not telling anyone what to do, Im just saying it opens up some possibilities for something to go wrong.

if the sidearm is in my CC rotation then it's most certainly chambered. If it's not on my person, then it is indeed securely locked away in the secret place where it's not accessible to anyone other than the wife or myself.

Storage details intentionally not disclosed...

Frequently manipulating a firearm also carries risks. For example, bullet set-back. Or just getting distracted when loading or unloading.

"Every gun is loaded." There is no point in trying to make that not so. If you really follow that rule, there should be no danger in storing a gun loaded - or at least, no more risk than the alternative.

Anyway, the ruling class always wants us to store our guns unloaded, making them effectively a club. Reason enough to do the opposite... :)

^^ That's pretty much sums up everything I do and would say.

It doesn't bother me if other people do it differently, as my daily life and situation is likely different from a lot of others.

maybe if gun owners never "accidentally" shot their children the ruling class wouldnt have anything to bring up...

Im not telling anyone what to do, Im just saying it opens up some possibilities for something to go wrong.

I personally think, and did as a parent, that kids completely change the whole equation.

Mine is grown now so my practices have changed but my CC is always with me or locked up - not that my girl would ever touch my gun (I wish she was more pro gun:oops:), but she has a BF and friends over often so I take the same precautions as I did when she was younger at those times. Again, just in case.

I think we all can agree that IF everyone treated evey gun as if it was loaded all the time every time , then there might be fewer mishaps.

I fall into the why go there camp.
Yes I check every gun that I handle , to see if its loaded.
And you bet I watch my muzzle.
If I store my firearms unloaded , then its just a little extra insurance that no mishaps will happen.

This works for me ... In your house , your rules.
Andy

yeah.... it might work out if your single but if even just one other person has access to your gun then you have no control at all of that gun or any idea whats happened to that gun in your absence... like if someone unloaded it.

like I said, it just opens up many doors of disaster.

Only guns I store loaded are guns that I CC. No reason to unload and reload for me. They ether have cheap holsters and/or safeties on.

Same. I have a young child at home and have a biometric safe that I keep bolted to a wall in my room that stores the key to my safe and CC firearms.

If anyone is interested this safe works great and can be had for a small amount of cash on amazon. For those concerned about an EMP strike, there is a back up key entry into the safe.

https://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-AX112...qid=1475121333&sr=8-6&keywords=biometric+safe

Most importantly, parents we all need to teach our children about how to handle firearms. Of course the lessons need to be age appropriate. For example, my daughter is currently 5 and I regularly test her on what to do if she sees a firearm- mine or someone else's. She's trained to not touch the firearm and to tell me where she saw it immediately.This is the most important safety step in ensuring the safety of your family if you have firearms in your house and definitely if you and or anyone else that regularly visits the home regularly carry consistently. Furthermore, I believe it's important to train children how to operate the firearms and to actually take them to the range so they better understand what these "fun looking toys" do.

I don't understand why someone would place a rifle into a safe that is loaded. If security and handiness is a concern leave the magazines loaded in the same area.

I think those quick access safes are appropriate for loaded storage, I don't consider those actually storing a firearm like a conventional safe containing multiple guns.

I think we all can agree that IF everyone treated evey gun as if it was loaded all the time every time , then there might be fewer mishaps.

I fall into the why go there camp.
Yes I check every gun that I handle , to see if its loaded.
And you bet I watch my muzzle.
If I store my firearms unloaded , then its just a little extra insurance that no mishaps will happen.

This works for me ... In your house , your rules.
Andy
My daughter was in Bass Pro a while back and every time the counter guy handed her a weapon ( even if it was an immediate exchange from two or three choices she would open the chamber and every time her muzzle was in control and finger off the trigger I WAS A PROUD PAPA of my 30+ year old daughter!

I'll side track a little. I've always carried knives - it was pretty simple to teach my toddler (when she was one) that it was something not to ever touch, especially with the assisted openers that have a good chance of opening if dropped.

Now I will also say not all kids are that trainable and you have to adjust your safety practices based on your own circumstances.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top