JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What 'Condition' do you carry in?

• NO round in the Chamber, Safety ON

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • NO round in the Chamber, Safety OFF

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • NO round in the Chamber, NO Safety

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • ONE in the Chamber, Safety ON

Votes: 63 32.5%
  • ONE in the Chamber, Safety OFF

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • ONE in the Chamber, NO Safety

Votes: 97 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Depends on the Gun

Votes: 39 20.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
Well, this has been talked about quite a lot and everyone has a different way for personal reasons.

Just thought this thread would give some possible talking points.

I normally carry with one in the chamber and no safety or with the safety off.

Looking at carrying a 1911 now and will go with one in the chamber, hammer cocked and the safety on. A big reason for that is because the holster is set up for that configuration. Otherwise, I am not a fan of using a Safety ever, including when I target shoot - I figure you should never muzzle sweep anyone (loaded or not) and as long as my finger isn't in the trigger guard the gun is safe.

Now my kid is grown and I didn't always keep the gun loaded because of her so I personally can understand wanting one more layer of protection for little ones, but others without that issue I don't quite get why they do not carry a loaded gun.

Please, share opinions and play nice;):cool::D

I dont see a point in carrying if you don't have one in the chamber. That extra half second to rack the slide could cost your life and negate having the weapon with you in the first place. That being said, loaded chamber or not, you should be consistent to prevent negligent discharges. I was in a pawn shop a few weeks ago when the guy behind the counter was showing me his Glock 27/ holster combo. He pointed the gun at his brother ( who also works there) and pulled the trigger. Yup, you know it ...BANG. Luckily it missed his brother and went through the door behind him. He said, " I never have it chambered", "I don't know how that happened". Aint going back there no more. o_O

Last Edited:
Cocked and locked is the safest way to carry a 1911. It is a bit to get used to and its understandable to not trust mechanical safeties, but there is redundancy with the grip safety. Just keep it clean.

I used to have to carry with an empty chamber and drills showed how difficult it can be to charge the weapon before firing. I don't believe in it personally because the idea is that if you're drawing, you NEED it NOW.

I do not like relying on a safety.
Keeping my finger off the trigger has been practiced often enough that it is a muscle memory.
Also , muzzle control is practiced.
Many of my guns have no mechanical safety *, so I have to shoot and handle my guns this way. ( *other than "half-cock" )

Growing up my Dad kept his pistol with a loaded chamber and empty chamber.
He also taught me to respect what a firearm can do , and how not to abuse the power of life and death you have by owning a gun.
This worked in our house.

When carrying or hunting I will keep a round chambered.
If while hunting and the ground or other conditions seem unstable etc ... I will clear my rifle or unprime.

At home , the "house gun" is usually not chambered.
I do not believe that the sound of my shotgun being "racked" will scare the badguy away , but then again it might and I'd rather not shoot anyone ever again.
As said above , this works in my house , as long as you are safe in yours , do what you want in your house.
Andy
*Edit to add the all important word "trigger" in my first sentence.
Ooops ... slinks off red faced LOL

Last Edited:
One in the chamber, safety on.
In drills, I see no difference in total elapsed time, from go (or beep) to first round fired whether the safety is on or not. So I figure not using the safety would be somewhat negligent of me.

I only have two handguns right now.

Beretta 92A1 - 1 in the chamber and safety/de-cock engaged. Holstered with trigger covered.

S&W Model 36 (snub nose 38 special) - Since it's a revolver I always have one in the chamber and no safety. I don't own a holster which covers the trigger but the Bianchi belt holster I got with it has a thumb break which keeps it secured and the hammer from moving.

Last Edited:
S&W Model 36 - Since it's a revolver I always have one in the chamber and no safety. I don't own a holster which covers the trigger but the Bianchi belt holster I got with it has a thumb break which keeps it secured and the hammer from moving.

Good point with the revolver; I was wondering who would bring that up first:).

I agree and had the same type of holster - wierd with an exposed trigger but the holster strap kept the hammer down so it was safe.

Revolver-no
1911-cocked and locked
Pocket Pistol-safety on and holstered.
IWB-yes safety on.

Always one in the pipe.

I don't disagree with anyone who carries safety off or no safety and wouldn't be afraid to do it myself.

My muscle memory would probably be making a wear spot on the left rear of the slide on a Glock :s0141:

I know...

I'll be the one of first meals fooling with my safety when the zombies come.

Revolver-no
1911-cocked and locked
Pocket Pistol-safety on and holstered.
IWB-yes safety on.

Always one in the pipe.

I don't disagree with anyone who carries safety off or no safety and wouldn't be afraid to do it myself.

My muscle memory would probably be making a wear spot on the left rear of the slide on a Glock :s0141:

I know...

I'll be the one of first meals fooling with my safety when the zombies come.

Have dealt with a 92fs type safety that is on safe in then 'down' position since 4 years old - I still sweep the safety on guns that don't have them.

I am hoping the transition to a 1911 won't be too unnatural, and the holster I have for it makes it the natural way to draw and unsafety the gun so I have hope or I wouldn't even be bothering.

It's also part of the reason I'm not a fan of the striker guns (I'll admit I seem to shoot just fine groups with them) they just don't seem right without a hammer:oops:.

Everything I own had one in the chamber. I don't want to be in a position where I grab one of mine to defend myself and not know what condition it's in. I am the only one that goes in my gun safe I am the only one that touches my guns. If someone were to break in my house and I make it to my gun safe I can put up a hell of a fight at the safe door with minimal effort

Well, this has been talked about quite a lot and everyone has a different way for personal reasons.

Just thought this thread would give some possible talking points.

I normally carry with one in the chamber and no safety or with the safety off.

Looking at carrying a 1911 now and will go with one in the chamber, hammer cocked and the safety on. A big reason for that is because the holster is set up for that configuration. Otherwise, I am not a fan of using a Safety ever, including when I target shoot - I figure you should never muzzle sweep anyone (loaded or not) and as long as my finger isn't in the trigger guard the gun is safe.

Now my kid is grown and I didn't always keep the gun loaded because of her so I personally can understand wanting one more layer of protection for little ones, but others without that issue I don't quite get why they do not carry a loaded gun.

Please, share opinions and play nice;):cool::D
A 1911 is a great option for a defensive handgun. I have carried one off and on for 20 plus years. Cooked and locked is the best way to carry. With training (empty of course) practice unholstering while using your thumb to click off the safety. As the muzzle rises to target the click should happen. When I grab my 1911 my thumb automatically rides the top of the safety when the gun reaches the target the safety is off. It's all about muscle memory. Most of the time I don't even think about the safety it just happens. The only time I consciously think about the safety is when I haven't carried my 1911 for a couple of weeks and I take her out to go to the range

Like most have posted with the 1911's I carry loaded chamber/hammer cocked! Some times with the thumb safety on some times off! The big thing for me is muscle memory compels me to thumb the safety ether way, so it doesn't really matter! For a wheel gun, as long as the hammer rides cocked or at least half cocked, I keep all cylinders full! For the Glock, loaded, and the Beretta 92 is loaded with every thing off and hammer down! Most of this is/was training so it is ingrained in me!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top