JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What 'Condition' do you carry in?

• NO round in the Chamber, Safety ON

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • NO round in the Chamber, Safety OFF

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • NO round in the Chamber, NO Safety

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • ONE in the Chamber, Safety ON

Votes: 63 32.5%
  • ONE in the Chamber, Safety OFF

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • ONE in the Chamber, NO Safety

Votes: 97 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Depends on the Gun

Votes: 39 20.1%

• Total voters
My EDC is a G30 or G19.4, with a G43 BUG: always a round chambered, obviously no safety.

In my Army service days at first a 1911 a round chambered cocked & locked safety on, my latter service days a 92F a round chambered safety off and half-cocked.

Always ready to rock! o_O

Looking at carrying a 1911 now and will go with one in the chamber, hammer cocked and the safety on. A big reason for that is because the holster is set up for that configuration. Otherwise, I am not a fan of using a Safety ever, including when I target shoot - I figure you should never muzzle sweep anyone (loaded or not) and as long as my finger isn't in the trigger guard the gun is safe.
one in the chamber, safety on, 1911...

with the 1911 one could conceivably carry with the safety off but if it ever got bumped to the 'on' position I would just hope that wouldn't be the one time you needed it and your muscle memory wasn't programmed to take it off safe. The 1911 is super natural to disengage the safety on the draw.

One in the tube and safety on. I never want to rely on a half cock notch, or full cocked notch and safety off. I've seen way to much hammer/sear fatigue, and the heat treated metal chips out. MIM hammer cocking notches fail all the time! Its scary :(

If it has a safety, please do use it.
Sure the 1911 does have the grip safety. But I'm just also not keen on relying on a MIM .055 wide x .090 tab of metal...But that's they still make all metal replacement parts.

I selected "other".

I'm trending towards one in the chamber, safety on. I don't have my CHL yet, it's in process.

I had not given consideration to not having my off hand available to rack, as others above had mentioned.

This site is a wealth of info - thanks all!

Whichever decision I make, it will be permanent, that's the best way to develope muscle memory.

I carry a G26 and used to leave the chamber empty, but after reading articles on defensive shooting and watch youtube videos of shootings and robberies that went out the window.
Now it's loaded ready to fire as soon as it's pulled.

What happens when you only have one hand?

When seconds count......

I carry a G26 and used to leave the chamber empty, but after reading articles on defensive shooting and watch youtube videos of shootings and robberies that went out the window.
Now it's loaded ready to fire as soon as it's pulled.

What happens when you only have one hand?

When seconds count......
There are a couple of ways to rack the slide on a semi auto . my preference is the rear sights on the jeans pocket..probably wouldnt hurt for people to practice doing so.....just saying

There are a couple of ways to rack the slide on a semi auto . my preference is the rear sights on the jeans pocket..probably wouldnt hurt for people to practice doing so.....just saying
this is a great tactic to be familiar with, but the problem with 99% of most 1911's (as the topic of this thread...) is they are all coming with snag free Novak style rear sights. The problem with these sights is they are snag free in the wrong direction and prevent rear sight racking. They can be replaced though with the same Novak style sight thats been notched for one handed racking...
Trijicon HD Night Sight Set 1911 Novak Cut Steel Matte 3-Dot Tritium (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1583519668/trijicon-hd-night-sight-set-1911-novak-cut-steel-matte-3-dot-tritium-green-with-front-dot-outline)

og%2Fproduct%2Fcache%2F1%2Fimage%2F500x500%2F9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95%2Fc%2Fa%2Fca128y_1.jpg

I love the sights on my sig226 tacops they are actually made to do exactly what we talked about they have a hook like profile that is perfect to grab your pocket with. If your sights don't have something like this or are snag free then other options are available like putting the frame between your thighs and racking the slide with one hand

On the thought of it all I think we could all spend a little more time practicing the what ifs and trying to think outside the box a little bit. I was sitting here thinking to myself that there are so many situations we could get into that we are just not ready for and we'll have to make due on the fly. I truly hope for all our sakes that none of us ever have to execute what we have planned for

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top