JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interested in reading y'all's responses.

Here's mine. Feel free to use my answer as a template for your response

Job?: Electrical, 99% new construction. Local 48 IBEW member.

Carry on the way to work?: Duh. If pants on, gun is on.

Carry at work?: 100%, no exceptions. Don't care what the law or company says, or in my case the customer or general contractor says. If I'm there, I'm armed.

How does your company feel about it?: in my case it's don't ask don't tell. I'm not the only one that carries at work. General consensus is company is pro gun and not asking questions, but has not taken a stance on the matter either way. As far as my union? Yeah they'd probably kick me out if they ever found out. But they're some big-time liberal controlled mob, so not shocked there.

How do you carry at work?: 90% of the time it's IWB at 4 o'clock, and my work belt wraps over my waistline. With how bulky my pouches are I have no worries or concerns of printing. On the hot summer days or when I'm rocking a little mini pouch, I tend to belly band carry. I choke it up a little so even if I am working in an awkward position and my shirt is raised, nobody can tell I'm carrying.

Do you change the way you carry based on where your job takes you?: In my situation, my answer is no. I've worked at places I'm not supposed to be carrying. Never has thrown a wrench in my system. If I'm in public I'm carrying no matter what. Don't care what your sign or your RCW says about it.

Are you worried about carrying at work?: My answer is no, because I've been doing it so long. Heck, I moved down to CA for 3 years for an apprenticeship and I carried every day, everywhere, when I lived there. And I wasn't in one of those counties that allows you to get a permit.

Looking forward to seeing your answers. The reason I posted this is because a buddy of mine was asking me about carrying at work and these were some of his questions. He works for a more liberal company and he is always really concerned about carrying at work. Majority of the questions (and answers) I typed out were questions he asked me. Wanted to see where the rest of the NWFA community stands on this subject.

62215018.jpg

Seriously though.

I do not . My daily work attire makes carrying almost pointless. I cut meat in a grocery store, so a long butcher coat with bib apron is the uniform. Open carry with a shoulder or chest rig would be the only practical way to carry a sidearm. No F'n way that's happening. If I ever start thinking that I really want to be armed at work I need to get a new job.

Yes i do most of the time, depends on the setting. General contractor, own my own business and work alone alot. Sometimes i open carry around my shop/home, sometimes concealed. Sometimes leave my gun in my bag within sight if im wearing my nailbags. I dont do big busy jobs with people crawling all over tho. I do custom work/builds on floating homes. If im out and about in life in general or picking up materials, bidding jobs etc hell yes im CC

The first rule about fight club…

There are plenty of methods to carry in discreet manner. Each person has to decide what they are willing to risk in order to do so. For some people there is little or no risk, for others it could mean their career or even jail time depending on their work.

Some people work in jobs that are very civil rights friendly and even encourage it - I remember watching a T-rex arms youtube tour of their company and employees had brought to work a PCC and left it at their desk just because they could. Other people work in jobs where even talking about guns raises eyebrows.

Work for a construction company. Boss allows and encourages me to carry. So I carry everyday. G45 appendix. Jeans and a Tshirt. I am extremely fortunate.

I have a very pro 2A boss so I have zero worries guns at work, even multiple long guns are not an uncommon sight. I carry a G19 IWB with an S&W 442 pocket BUG, but again being "made" is not not an issue. When I was in less than kosher situations I carried my G19 AIWB.

Well, my job is semi-retired and work 3 days a week behind a gun counter at a sporting goods store so yes, I carry and so does everyone else behind the gun counter. In fact, on most days, I would say a third of the employees throughout the store carry and at least half the customers on most days.

Currently I carry a G43X on my right side at 4 to 4:30 position IWB. A number of the guys open carry and the owner is ok with it.

My last full-time job I carried to and from work because if you got caught with a gun in the building it was instant termination and any other legal action, they could get you for. I never herd of any one getting caught so not sure what legal action the could really do but the threat was always there.

There were a few times I forgot to remove it before I entered the building, I just never got caught.

I pretty much live my life with the mentality that I absolutely refuse to be a victim. So yes 100% at work and everywhere I go for work. I own the place now so the boss is A-ok with it, the old owner was as well.

Yesterday i walked out of the drs office with my teenage son, turned and showed him the sticker next to the door and told him "good thing I don't carry a kbar or a beretta huh?" I still can't figure out why those places discriminate against beretta so bad :s0092: good thing I've never owned one.

Just something to consider here....

If you do carry at work and your employer has rules against it...
It may be wise to not admit to doing so.

Not saying that I am for or against carrying at one's work place , or even discussing it.

I am saying that it is important to remember that :

The internet is big place...
NWFA is a open forum with lots of visitors...
Actions have consequences...
Concealed means concealed , many here frown on "open carry" ...posting on a forum that you carry , could be seen as a form of "open carry"..as in you openly admit to carrying ....
What you post on the internet is out there...even after it may get deleted....
Andy

At my day job I work on old cars. I'm in, out, under, on top of, etc. cars all day long. Can't be banging the butt of a gun on them, either. I don't carry on my person the job, but I have my handgun close by. In my previous life I ran a rebuild shop for large corp and they imposed no carry rules. I kept it in the truck. Before that place had come under corporate ownership, I fanny packed the gun to my desk or toolbox. (yeah, that long ago :D )
At my weekend job/responsibility of maintaining our tree farm, I carry, often times openly, but that's a little different.

edit: Besides the corporate lifetime I've never had an anti gun boss. Most of them have been veterans or just good old Americans and either hunted or shot for fun. I've bought, traded, borrowed and loaned guns with my bosses since the 90's. Choice of career plays a role in this discussion, too.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads