JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No policy limit. Each is an individual item, and it doesn't go against the home owner policy; no deductible. I submitted pictures and serials for everything.
Ooooooo... that S/N and pics part is what bothered me when SF said they "needed" that...
CIS doesn't need any of that, so it's possible to be insured without having to submit., which I find more palatable.
Not making any judgements on the way you went, I just won't give up that info...

No policy limit. Each is an individual item, and it doesn't go against the home owner policy; no deductible. I submitted pictures and serials for everything.
I agree with Sobo, that's like registering your firearms with the Government
I don't know the value of my collection, but $10K would just about cover my optics only
since there has only been this fire in my area since 1890, I'm going to take the chance with my fireproof safe
but I'm now considering a used RV
convert it into a gunshop and firearm storage - plenty of room on my 5 acres to keep it
hit the key and go if needed

The La Center fire is only 4 miles away
I have a fireproof safe in the barn for most of my firearms
will only take 4 rifles and 3 pistols if we have to go
15000 rnds of ammo will be toast
Maybe buy a Enclosed trailer ( what ever size you wound need )? Then keep your gun safe and emergency supplies. in it all the time. When you have to evacuate just hook up & go

Here is some of the aftermath Resized_20200909_160213_170276070385929.jpeg

I had to evac in 2020 during a local fire. I panicked because it caught me by surprise - didn't even know there was a fire until the evac notice. Took most of my guns - the most valuable ones. Ammo got left behind.

Today I have a somewhat better plan and preps. Better organized, knowing where everything is. I would take my big truck and load it up instead of my SUV. Most of my ammo would get loaded, but the guns first. If I had enough notice (I had 15 minutes in 2020) like the three stage notices many people get, I would back the truck into the shop and pre-load the ammo so it would be ready to go. Then I would load the guns when the final notice came I would load the guns. I might just move the ammo to my kids place (20 minutes away) at the first stage notice, with their help, or find a storage facility - it depends on the situation - just move it using the truck and back it into a rental storage as the kids have no room in their garage and it would just be easier.

The guns would go to their house where I would be staying.

Most homeowners policies cap out at $2,500 for firearms unless you have a rider to insure for more.
Finally got around to checking my policy. That $10,000 figure I gave in my previous post was from years ago when I was with State Farm. My policy now only covers a little over $4,000. The amount is based on the greater of $3,000 or 1% of your Coverage A, which is the amount for the house. Yikes! That's basically a couple of rifles with scopes plus maybe a shotgun and a 1911. I'd best get to looking around for some more coverage.

A lot of my guns aren't all that valuable from a dollar standpoint but have sentimental value. As I age, I suppose that value lessens to some extent. I know my grandfather got to the point where he just wanted his guns gone so he didn't have to worry about somebody stealing them. My son will get my guns and he doesn't have the same memories for most of them that I do. Some of the previous owners passed long before he was even born.

Finally got around to checking my policy. That $10,000 figure I gave in my previous post was from years ago when I was with State Farm. My policy now only covers a little over $4,000. The amount is based on the greater of $3,000 or 1% of your Coverage A, which is the amount for the house. Yikes! That's basically a couple of rifles with scopes plus maybe a shotgun and a 1911. I'd best get to looking around for some more coverage.
:eek:

A lot of my guns aren't all that valuable from a dollar standpoint but have sentimental value. As I age, I suppose that value lessens to some extent. I know my grandfather got to the point where he just wanted his guns gone so he didn't have to worry about somebody stealing them. My son will get my guns and he doesn't have the same memories for most of them that I do. Some of the previous owners passed long before he was even born.
:(

It is a bit sad buddy, but not totally. On the plus side, my son is my constant hunting buddy. He will definitely cherish the guns and other outdoor things I leave behind that we shared together. The other stuff, I will encourage him to sell.

What really hit home with me was when my mom passed the family slides and 8mm movies along to me. I was showing them to my family and realized they really didn't know most of the people in them other than my folks. They were understandably bored. I wondered why I should bother to burden my kids with them.

It is a bit sad buddy, but not totally. On the plus side, my son is my constant hunting buddy. He will definitely cherish the guns and other outdoor things I leave behind that we shared together. The other stuff, I will encourage him to sell.

What really hit home with me was when my mom passed the family slides and 8mm movies along to me. I was showing them to my family and realized they really didn't know most of the people in them other than my folks. They were understandably bored. I wondered why I should bother to burden my kids with them.
The Grand Sobo has multiple Kodak slide carousels (maybe a 3 or 4 dozen???) and IDK how many 8mm home movies that comprise the Complete Grand Sobo Family History from just prior to his marriage to who would become us kids' mum up to about 10-15 years ago, a span of 55 to 60 years. I think I'm the only one who really cares to look at those slides and movies from time to time. I trust that when the Grand Sobo "finally packs it in" (as he refers to his ultimate demise), he will bequeath those slides and movies to me. The sad thing is, I don't think either of my kids will be the least bit interested in that stuff. I fear they will regard that family history in much the same way you discovered that your kids did...

The Grand Sobo has multiple Kodak slide carousels (maybe a 3 or 4 dozen???) and IDK how many 8mm home movies that comprise the Complete Grand Sobo Family History from just prior to his marriage to who would become us kids' mum up to about 10-15 years ago, a span of 55 to 60 years. I think I'm the only one who really cares to look at those slides and movies from time to time. I trust that when the Grand Sobo "finally packs it in" (as he refers to his ultimate demise), he will bequeath those slides and movies to me. The sad thing is, I don't think either of my kids will be the least bit interested in that stuff. I fear they will regard that family history in much the same way you discovered that your kids did...
Can't help feeling like somewhere along the line we somehow failed in passing down the family lore. But did we really? Or is it just a sign of the times?

Can't help feeling like somewhere along the line we somehow failed in passing down the family lore. But did we really? Or is it just a sign of the times?
I had the kids interested for awhile when they had school assignments about their ancestry. Since both of my kids were adopted as infants, they have no "family history" from a biological progenitor point of view. So, they relied upon us, their adoptive parents, for a family history, to include the history of their grandparents and great-grandparents. There was a flurry of interest in all of that at that time, but I sense that has passed, what with their moving into young adulthood and heading out on their own lives. I did what I could to make my family's history interesting (there's a lot of cool characters in the Sobo lineage, some very recently deceased to back 1,000 years to when Poland was a kingdom, and our very namesake), but maybe it really is just a sign of the times...

my son will inherit the property, the house on it and the fireproof safe in the barn with all my firearms
he still lives with us and works from home
there is no inventory or serial number list, only he and i know what is there
and no telling whats buried under the straw

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA