JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sold a gun and the Buyer is an FFL
In the past I took my gun to a local FFL and had them ship to buyers FFL
This buyer who is an FFL wants to provide a shipping label and ship it directly to him, from me.
Is that legal? How does the transfer work.
I believe he is in AZ or Nevada

Yes, you can ship any gun directly to an FFL Dealer. Long guns can be shipped by way of USPS Postal, and handguns shipped through FedEx or UPS etc. I shipped tons firearms for my uncle working for him who had a gunshop and gunsmithing business over 40 years.

You can also send gun needing repairs directly to gun factories, and once repaired they ship it back to you at your doorstep. NO FFL needed to send in for a repair job. 👍

You will need the FFL Dealer to fax or mail you a hard copy of his or her current FFL LICENSE to put inside the box along with a photo copy of your driver's license and info on the gun on paper for them to keep on thier records by law. 👍

It's all alot easier to do than many people make it out to be. Most people are afraid of things they have no knowledge of doing instead of educating themselves if they're going to be in this stuff for a hobby. Take pics of everything you send. Including copies of the info on gun you ship and pics of the gun laying in the box BEFORE you tape it all closed
Then pics of the box taped up ready to ship.

Hope this helps you. :cool:

Last Edited:
Yes, you can ship any gun directly to an FFL Dealer. Long guns can be shipped by way of USPS Postal, and handguns shipped through FedEx or UPS etc. I shipped tons firearms for my uncle working for him who had a gunshop and gunsmithing business over 40 years.

You can also send gun needing repairs directly to gun factories, and once repaired they ship it back to you at your doorstep. NO FFL needed to send in for a repair job. 👍

You will need the FLL Dealer to fax or mail you a hard copy of his or her current FFL LICENSE to put inside the box along with a photo copy of your driver's license and info on the gun on paper for them to keep on thier records by law. 👍

It's all alot easier to do than many people make it out to be. Most people are afraid of things they have no knowledge of doing instead of educating themselves if they're going to be in this stuff for a hobby. Take pics if everything you send. Including copies of the info on gun you ship and pics of the gun laying in the box BEFORE you tape it all closed
Then pics of the box taped up ready to ship.

Hope this helps you. :cool:
Hey thanks, that is some good information. One more question, it is a handgun, is there a requirement on how it has to be shipped using FedEx or UPS, can it go ground or does it have to be expedited like overnight or air?

Just call both shippers main number and ask for current shipping rules. A FFL can ship handguns cheap through USPS. BUT, only FFL LICENSE holders can do that. Shipping costs via FFL using USPS runs about $25 at least the last one I had shipped to me was that much if you don't have a buddy that's an FFL license holder. He might charge you about $25 for his time shipping it.

Hope this helps you more. 👍

There have been some changes in the past year or so. Here are links and a brief summary for current FEDEX and UPS policies restricting who may ship firearms. Seems pretty clear-cut to me that non-FFLs are just plain SOL; however, you are welcome to review the UPS and FEDEX web sites to reach your own interpretations.

FEDEX: Only an FFL or government agency may ship a firearm via FEDEX:

Shippers with a Federal Firearm License: Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.
Nonlicensee shippers: Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.

UPS: Only shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement may ship firearm products via UPS:

UPS defines "Firearm Products" as Firearms and Firearm Parts, aside from scopes.
Direct from the UPS web site: "Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom Line for me: If an FFL holder sent me a prepaid mailing label to ship a firearm to him or her, I would use it and never mention the contents as I hand the shipping container to a FEDEX or UPS employee.

Last Edited:
I recently sold and shipped a handgun to a buyer in Arizona. I went through "ShipMyGun.com".
They confirmed the recipients FFL, emailed me a prepaid shipping label for UPS. I packed up the gun, stuck on the label and dropped it off at the UPS Customer service center. No questions asked, no hassle.
The service cost me $48; well worth the "no hassle" process.

I have used Ship My Gun with great results.
The only hiccup I have encountered is when a private party buyer selected an FFL near them that wasn't on Ship My Guns preferred FFL list.
It took a couple of extra days for SMG to verify the FFL's license and after that delay, I could print out the mailing label and get the gun on it's way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top