JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
<rant>

I have a general rule I try to follow of not commenting on the price/quality/etc. of an item for sale in the "for sale" thread of an item. If I think it is priced too high or there is some other problem with value or quality or whatever, I just move on and make no comments. So I am not going to point any fingers because I can just buy elsewhere. Consider this more of a helpful hint.

That said, I can't help but notice - more frequently than I think should happen - that there are firearms for sale here at inflated prices.

That used to be somewhat okay when people were willing to pay a bit more to get a firearm without the government paperwork that came with retail purchases, but that paperwork can no longer be avoided, in Oregon or WA state, whether the sale is private or not - so there is no value for anybody over retail, in a private sale IMO.

So imagine my perturbation when I see a firearm - albeit NIB - being advertised for a good $400 over advertised retail in the classifieds here.

Why should I pay even the going retail price for a firearm I can order new online for the same price and have it delivered to my LGS, knowing for certain it has never been fired, and is guaranteed to be functional? Much less another $400+?

Sorry sellers, but even if you ask retail, if I can get it new for the same price, why should I buy it from you? I know the condition of a new firearm from the factory will be NIB because it is NIB. I don't have to make an appointment with my LGS to pay for and pickup a new gun, I just walk in and give them the plastic card and walk out with my gun.

I am not talking about "custom" or "rare" guns - although whether the customization is done right or something I want is up to me as the buyer, not you, and it isn't "rare" if I can order it online, is it? I am talking about standard easy to get firearms.

Those days of asking inflated prices for private sales are gone. You are now in competition with every online seller, local gun shop, pawn shop and every other private seller to boot. Check current prices and adjust your price accordingly (i.e., give me incentive to buy from you and not online or at the local gun shop, etc.) or I will have no inclination to buy your gun.

</rant>

I really have not bothered to browse the classifieds here for just that reason. They are either just inflated or they are " bundled " with a bunch of crap for an inflated price.

Also, if there is the word custom anywhere in the add, it the remainder gets skipped. to many people think if they add $700 in crap to their G19 its worth atleast $1,200!:rolleyes:

I often want to add a link to an online sale at a retailer for cheaper than their used gun is selling for.

Look were all sorry you paid too much for your firearm, but don't try to pass off your failure to someone else. I guess if people are dumb enough to pay it, it's on them.

30rd Pmag for sale $80!

I often want to add a link to an online sale at a retailer for cheaper than their used gun is selling for.

Look were all sorry you paid too much for your firearm, but don't try to pass off your failure to someone else. I guess if people are dumb enough to pay it, it's on them.

30rd Pmag for sale $80!

I am often tempted, but I resist - bad form

Its been years since I bought used but all I can say is Im either going to get a really good deal or Im buying new. Maybe that's why its been so many years.

I think that many people think that, as the seller, they can get much more for the gun than selling it on consignment at a gun store. I can see that may be possible but universal background checks pretty much did that in. Used gun market is essentially dead, reserved mostly for hard to find items or a rare deal that really is a deal... not certain the latter are out there anymore.

<rant>
I have a general rule I try to follow of not commenting on the price/quality/etc. of an item for sale in the "for sale" thread of an item. If I think it is priced too high or there is some other problem with value or quality or whatever, I just move on and make no comments. So I am not going to point any fingers because I can just buy elsewhere. Consider this more of a helpful hint.
That said, I can't help but notice - more frequently than I think should happen - that there are firearms for sale here at inflated prices.
NFS! All the time! I can't believe what some people think their bubblegum is worth! Especially when it's been listed for months and months and months at $25 less than one could buy it anywhere else. I often wonder if they really want to sell it or are just bragging that they have it. If I am buying used it's because I'm looking for a GOOD deal!

"That used to be somewhat okay when people were willing to pay a bit more to get a firearm without the government paperwork that came with retail purchases, but that paperwork can no longer be avoided, in Oregon or WA state, whether the sale is private or not - so there is no value for anybody over retail, in a private sale IMO."

Not always the case.I've heard there are people following Constitutional law,rather than emergency actions by unelected shrews acting as Governor.

Now if I could meet one of these people,I'd pay extra for something.

A "good deal" (I translate this as,CHEAP deal) for the buyer is usually a fire sale for the seller.
Is it good form to take advantage of someones bad situation?
I don't have the answer.I've been on both ends of that.
Like the OP said,if you don't like the price,move along,go buy new.

An old saying goes something like this-You never pay too much for something,you just do it too early. (?)

I generally see those high prices you spoke of with first time posters.
Those of us with some time here would be embarrassed to post unreasonable prices unless there was a major financial crisis, and even then I highly doubt it.
I would try to sell on Armslist first.

Asking a super-high price just guarantees that I'll ignore your ad. I won't even bother with an offer because it's likely you don't even know the real value of your gun.

When I list an item, I look around online for typical going prices for that item in that condition. I always start out with a slightly higher price, I can always go down in price if I'm not getting any responses. To date, I've not failed to sell a gun I've listed here or on AL. Sometimes it takes longer than others. I've had guns sell within the hour they were listed, my longest ad for a gun was about 4 weeks. That tells me two things - my prices must be reasonable, and, I must list items people are interested in.

That said, I don't thread crap people that are asking prices that are too high - it's their issue if they can't sell, not mine. Who cares if they ask too much - they'll just end up sitting on it forever and maybe learning a valuable lesson.

I've been fortunate to find some really great deals in the classifieds here on NWFA. It's all a timing thing. Some folks list items below what they're worth and if you're lucky, you're there to snap it up!

Free market.

I've never sold a firearm but if I was going to I'd feel no shame in aiming high. If someone is willing to pay my high asking price, good for me. If it doesn't sell, I guess I'll need to lower the price accordingly. The market sets the price, not me. Remember the $79 SKS from 20 years ago? Well, thanks to all those people asking "too much" for them, they're worth quite a bit more now. If you'd bought a crate back then and sold them all today you'd be thanking all the "price gougers" that helped you make a few thousand on your small investment.
There was a time not too long ago when some might be willing to pay a premium to stay off-books. Unfortunately many refuse to bypass the recently imposed unconstitutional "emergency" BS. That kind of put a correction in the market. So I guess the same still applies as far as getting as much as you can when selling -- it's just harder to justify now.
Sorry, I come from a long line of cheapskates so I have a tendency to look at everything as an investment. I want my money working for me.

GLWS, everyone.

I love the "New in box, only fired 150 rounds thru it" Wait what? So its used? and New in box? i'm confused..

I love the For sale $500 cash and then oh but trade value $750.....Wait what? I usually loose a little when I trade for something, mostly because i'm trading for something I have been lusting after. But it seems to be the norm these days that I need to way increase my item if thinking of a trade........Hmm

I love the "New in box, only fired 150 rounds thru it" Wait what? So its used? and New in box? i'm confused..

I love the For sale $500 cash and then oh but trade value $750.....Wait what? I usually loose a little when I trade for something, mostly because i'm trading for something I have been lusting after. But it seems to be the norm these days that I need to way increase my item if thinking of a trade........Hmm

I am seeing this over on GB as well.. Or some guy selling a " new gun " but has no FFL.

I agree the law sucks and is unconstitutional, but for the time being, I am not willing to risk prison, even if it is a slight risk (which is debatable).

So sorry - no, I won't pay $400 over retail for the privilege of exposing myself to the risk of going to prison for breaking the law. Indeed, I won't pay a cent. I've got too much riding on staying out of prison.

Besides, I have yet to see one of these over priced ads not also mention that "you pay transfer fee" and/or "transfer at FFL".

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads