JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
When I see something blatantly incorrect in an add, I may post a correction or message the seller.
Other than that I think it's improper to comment. Ads are for selling, not conversing.

If I see what Heretic talks about, I just shake my head and close the page. I do wonder where some people come up with their pricing.
As far as high prices not reduced when an item has been listed for quite a while, there are certain guns that aren't popular with the majority of the members here. A gun like that might not get much attention from potential buyers, but that doesn't mean the seller needs to discount the gun to the point of nearly giving it away.

I'm new to NWFA I was gonna buy something on here, eventually, to plump up the collection. So... being new and oh so wide eyed innocent... you're saying that $700 for a stock Ruger 10/22 is too much? Thanks guys, I really dodged a bullet on that one. I'll go down to The Gun Room in Portland instead and find me a good deal. :rolleyes:

It would be so tempting upon finding a thread such as discussed here, and edit it, just to add the MSRP at the bottom of the ad ;)

But yeah, whilst it's annoying to see something sold massively overpriced, it's also part of the free trade @MaxwellEdison mentioned and the deal making that @Medic! and @Velzey referred to.

Telling the seller in public that it's over priced is bad form, which is why the forum lists it as thread crapping and doesn't allow it. See the first line i wrote in this post ;)

Unless the seller states firm, or no offers, and it *is* something i'm looking for, i will ask if they're open to offers, and go from there. Used listings are not storefronts, they're bartering opportunities.

A person could make an offer in the thread of below MSRP and list MSRP as part of the offer.

But I figure if a person is $400 above MSRP then they have some weird idea that the gun is actually worth that much for some weird reason. Plus, it wouldn't be a sincere offer.

In the case that finally prompted me to post this thread (there have been others I have observed, but nothing this egregious) I did check to make sure the gun wasn't some rare or in high demand version of the gun that I couldn't buy for much less, and I confirmed it wasn't.

I've done that, but ended up earning pee pee spankin points from you know who.
Now they just go to the permanent ignore list so I don't get tricked into looking at any of their posts in the future...capitalism or not. :rolleyes:
seriously? for wishing someone good luck?

<rant>

I have a general rule I try to follow of not commenting on the price/quality/etc. of an item for sale in the "for sale" thread of an item. If I think it is priced too high or there is some other problem with value or quality or whatever, I just move on and make no comments. So I am not going to point any fingers because I can just buy elsewhere. Consider this more of a helpful hint.

That said, I can't help but notice - more frequently than I think should happen - that there are firearms for sale here at inflated prices.

That used to be somewhat okay when people were willing to pay a bit more to get a firearm without the government paperwork that came with retail purchases, but that paperwork can no longer be avoided, in Oregon or WA state, whether the sale is private or not - so there is no value for anybody over retail, in a private sale IMO.

So imagine my perturbation when I see a firearm - albeit NIB - being advertised for a good $400 over advertised retail in the classifieds here.

Why should I pay even the going retail price for a firearm I can order new online for the same price and have it delivered to my LGS, knowing for certain it has never been fired, and is guaranteed to be functional? Much less another $400+?

Sorry sellers, but even if you ask retail, if I can get it new for the same price, why should I buy it from you? I know the condition of a new firearm from the factory will be NIB because it is NIB. I don't have to make an appointment with my LGS to pay for and pickup a new gun, I just walk in and give them the plastic card and walk out with my gun.

I am not talking about "custom" or "rare" guns - although whether the customization is done right or something I want is up to me as the buyer, not you, and it isn't "rare" if I can order it online, is it? I am talking about standard easy to get firearms.

Those days of asking inflated prices for private sales are gone. You are now in competition with every online seller, local gun shop, pawn shop and every other private seller to boot. Check current prices and adjust your price accordingly (i.e., give me incentive to buy from you and not online or at the local gun shop, etc.) or I will have no inclination to buy your gun.

</rant>
As much as I want to reply to these adds I know what it will bring so I resist. Plus, as of now it is still a free country and the sellers can ask whatever they want and we have the freedom to spend our money elsewhere.

I get calls almost every single week, "do you buy guns? I have a mossberg 500 that I want $550 for" Or they want to sell their used glock for $500 or their old beat up H&R single shot shotgun for $400. Some people are really really proud of their used stuff, lol

It's kind of like the guns listed on Buds Gun Shop that Hickok 45 has shot, people think that if he has touched them that they are the Holy Grail.... :cool:
A portion of those sales goes to charity as well, so that's part of it.

Maybe we need a auction section.
For an auction to work for a seller, there have to be enough buyers around at the moment of the auction. This site, though rather popular, still doesn't have the traffic for auction to be successful for most sellers. I'm lucky most of the time to get one interested buyer, much less two or three willing to bid up the price.

If there is 20 of the same gun you have for sale you should price it below what others are selling theirs for not above, unless you're trying to keep the wife happy because you told her you'd sell a gun you really don't want to sell.;)

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads