JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
No rules saying you can't reply/post in older threads, the above noted 'related posts' section is for exactly that.

Understanding an older thread is older is probably a really good thing to have in mind when replying - responding to a question the OP asked years ago is probably not worth it, but if your reply is a question, sure, if your reply is adding to the conversation, then sure :)

I agree and I would say well beyond "inflated" in some cases. 120% of retail price for a regular used gun is common, and lately I have seen some asking for 200-300% of new retail price. I don't know what they r expecting, why would anyone pay twice as much for a used gun as a new one? Makes no sense to me. I know it's not against the rules to do that, just seems like a colossal waste of time for all.

Last Edited:
MSRP is often a couple hundred above or below price gun sells for new in stores. Usually above. So stating MSRP in ads would be less meaningful than one might think. To see what the real new price is, I consider only listings from stores that actually have the gun in stock.

If a new gun is available new in local gun stores for $800, I figure the warranty is worth at least $100 to me. For a modern semi auto where recent models are actually better than older models, I'm probably only going to get interested in a used in the box excellent condition for about $500, as I'd almost always be willing to pay $200 to be the only owner. Add $30 transfer fee and hassles of arrangements to meet if its a private transfer. In addition if its a semi auto with night sights sights may have lost most of their shine after a few years. What might make me pay more than $500? Accessories thrown in essentially free. Such as a good holster or two, extra grips, extra mags, ammo. But otherwise, new laws have made it just not very attractive to me to buy used guns from private parties vs the new versions in stores for guns in current production where the new versions are better than the old or at least equal.

If we're talking about a SW revolver, say a pre-lock 629, though, those are better than any 629 SW makes these days and they aren't making any more. So they have their own market which is generally at to somewhat above the prices for new 629s with locks. For SW revolvers with locks, I would discount heavily for used versions since they are making more and they arent nearly as good as pre-lock smiths. Likewise for other SW revolvers.

Model names and numbers can be very deceptive. Most egregious is SW's use of very similar model numbers for very different revolvers. Ill use 629s as the example, but the same applies to other models, though dash numbers at which various changes were made differ.

In .44mag the 629 no dash had a pinned barrel, recessed cylinder chambers, the firing pin on the hammer, no lock, and a beautiful fit and finish. These guns had amazingly smooth trigger pulls and generally amazing accuracy. By the 629-6 there had been major redesigns that use cheaper metal on some parts, omit pinned barrel and recessed cylinder chambers, move firing pin from hammer to gun frame, and redesign entire gun so it can be cranked out with a crude fit and finish and less hand labor. The 629-6 is a vastly inferior gun to the 629 no dash, and is similar in appearance but quite different in design and quality. But by calling them all 629s SW is projecting the image that the 629-6 is the same gun and just as good as the no dash. I just looked at the SW website and there is no info in the specs now on the dash number at all. Until recently the website specs gave the real model number including the dash variant.

For SW 629s some people, especially collectors, really love the earliest ones, the no dashes with pinned barrels and recessed cylinder chambers. But some of us appreciate the "endurance package" that was added by the 629-3 and 629-4. However it was downhill from there. The 629-5 added MIM parts and moved the firing pin to the frame. And the 629-6 added the notorious lock. So for a used 629-4 or lower in excellent condition the price is normally substantially above new price of current models because they aren't the same gun at all, with the current models being relative POSs. Still as good or better than current production Rugers and every other .44 except for inability to handle .44mag +P, which requires much heavier guns. But relative POS compared with the older 629s.

Sometimes I see people trying to sell 629-6 or later 629s for higher than new prices. Dream on. The 629-6 or later POS is just a used version of the current production POSs. It is worthy only of a price seriously under the current model new prices.

I think people sometimes see 'old" SW revolvers selling for over new prices and think their used POS SW revolver with a lock should sell for higher than new prices too. No. There is one market for pre- lock Smiths which takes into account that they are way better than current production guns and they aren't making any that good any more. And there is another market for post-lock Smiths. And if you have a used post-lock gun its just a used version of the current inferior models that sells at a discount from new guns. Of course you might sell the gun at an outrageous price because someone is ignorant. I'm talking about what I would consider fair prices on both sides of the deal by two knowledgeable parties.

@The Heretic has the answer to your problems. If you think a thread is too old to be relevant to you, add the thread to your ignore list. This is an underutilized feature for complainers.
You've got that right! It takes so much more effort to get on a thread and whine and complain about why a person shouldn't post on and old thread. SEE, that took a lot of effort! That little wheel on the mouse? Or the back button? Use them, use them frequently if needed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top