JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would keep mine out of a photograph on a public forum..
I would provide it to a prospective buyer if we agreed on all other terms and they wanted to check it against a database of stolen weapons before purchase.

In theory, someone could report as stolen, however I typically buy new and/or used from FFLs directly and have a receipt to prove it so with possession being 9/10 of the law and the other 1/10 bring proof of purchase, I'm not worried about it.

Some people think they'll be financially ruined if the serial is visible it maybe their pecker will fall off? Gun owners are by nature a paranoid breed in my experience.

I'd worry about it... it's fairly easy for somebody to look up a serial number and find out your personal information or where you live.

Edit: to the laugh emoji person(s), it's happened to me. Let's hope it doesn't happen to you. The usual gaggle...

Last Edited:
Depending on the S/N length, often times providing the first few digits will
suffice through lookup to date or approx date of manufacture. It could aid
in furthering interest in the sale.

I appreciate everyone's responses it seems to be just matter of personal preference and who's comfortable posting that information.
There is zero benefit to having it. There are potential risks from additional info avail to gov agencies, to insurance fraud using its serial number, to false sales of your gun. There have been many reports on NWFA about people stealing there photos for guns (real or fake) on gunbroker. Also there are scams going on selling guns peopel don't have using your photos and serial number, Fe see below. Why take such risks for zero benefit? Makes no sense to me.

There is zero benefit to having it. There are potential risks from additional info avail to gov agencies, to insurance fraud using its serial number, to false sales of your gun. There have been many reports on NWFA about people stealing there photos for guns (real or fake) on gunbroker. Also there are scams going on selling guns peopel don't have using your photos and serial number, Fe see below. Why take such risks for zero benefit? Makes no sense to me.

I get what your saying.

I'll admit I normally position a picture in such a way that it is at least partially obscured. Why? Paranoia strikes deep ... in reality, it really doesn't matter. Force of habit for some, but the odds of it being a problem in real life isn't great. That said, I can see the argument of just making that possibility zero by hiding it.

In the off chance it is of interest. Gun Jesus' response with his thoughts:

View: https://youtu.be/ac5psNc445k?si=UscqGhqOiCH3vDmL&t=1352

I'll admit I normally position a picture in such a way that it is at least partially obscured. Why? Paranoia strikes deep ... in reality, it really doesn't matter. Force of habit for some, but the odds of it being a problem in real life isn't great. That said, I can see the argument of just making that possibility zero by hiding it.

In the off chance it is of interest. Gun Jesus' response with his thoughts:

View: https://youtu.be/ac5psNc445k?si=UscqGhqOiCH3vDmL&t=1352
I don't have reactions yet so for now 👍 Great video thanks for sharing.

I guess I'm the only person left that looks at benefit vs risk but if there is zero benefit and any risk at all why would you do it? Makes no sense. Takes maybe 5 seconds to mark out the serial # in pics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top