JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
That's all well and good, but if someone is threatening you, you don't let them harm you. There are limits.
My thoughts were something like this: Instead of honking the horn and immediately setting the poor bastage on red alert, one could have said good morning brother...Im heading in and am going to make some nice hot coffee; can I bring you some?

Now why do I have the arrogance to suggest such a radical idea? Because I have done something very similar. My first response was negative, but then overwhelming compassion came out of me and it was not my doing...I believe God gave that to me. The result was a good conversation, and exchange of names, a small prayer together, a hug, and the $40 in my wallet given to that person because whatsoever I did to the least of these, I did it for God.

Someone was put in front of me that morning, and it just worked out thay way.

Interesting interaction that brings to mind the question "How does one deal with the mentally impaired" who may not process reasonable requests in the same way that a normal person may?

No matter what you must decide how you can control the situation...
It falls upon you to :
Be situational aware...
Be able to read other person's body language...
Judge quickly another person's intent...
Be able to disengage and retreat if necessary...
Use clear , concise , commands , under stress...all while appearing non-threatening and non-confrontational...
Put forth a non-aggressive , but "I still am not a victim" posture...
Be willing to do what is necessary to survive the encounter...be it verbal de-escalation , Putting a object between you and the other person , "breaking contact" or having to use force...

All of the above is difficult to learn and master...and even then mistakes will be made.
And any of the above can be thrown "out of wack" by a disturbed or mentally challenged person...
It will be helpful to remember that every situation is different and that there is no one solution , to all of life's little ills....
Andy

"How does one deal with the mentally impaired"
In a loud and defiant manner. I laugh when I see people actually engaging in conversation with the sign carriers on the corners or other 'homeless' in Bend. Once they have them hooked the drone on and on until money is handed to them.

My thoughts were something like this: Instead of honking the horn and immediately setting the poor bastage on red alert, one could have said good morning brother...Im heading in and am going to make some nice hot coffee; can I bring you some?

Now why do I have the arrogance to suggest such a radical idea? Because I have done something very similar. My first response was negative, but then overwhelming compassion came out of me and it was not my doing...I believe God gave that to me. The result was a good conversation, and exchange of names, a small prayer together, a hug, and the $40 in my wallet given to that person because whatsoever I did to the least of these, I did it for God.

.Thank you.
I urge compassion first, though the initial reaction may be revulsion.
Meanwhile, on the homeless forums, he posted, "Sleeping guy threatened by Pastor with car and gun."
I wasn't there, so am not really qualified to comment, but nevertheless have opened my mouth to insert both boots.
My initial reaction to this story is, seek another line of work.

Read my post. We minister as much as we can to all who come and we go out and find the. The church, this church, has always been a spiritual battleground. Bible says so. Secondly, a 65 year old church member had his life altered mentally and physically just steps from my encounter. His skull was crushed. He walks with a walker. Homeless guy got one year in jail and was a repeat offender. Same place different encounter HG named Eric. Yes, I know his name and have talked to him. HG Eric went off and chased one of our young men around the building. How charming to think the HG would welcome tea or coffee brought to his bedside. The city has Whitebird and Cahoots. We taxpayers have non police help with those who don't want a cup of coffee. Glad you have one good story. Next time take the person to the eatery and sit face to face while they eat. Just saying it works. I do it. They don't need my money. They need my help. Those that accept receive. Ask a drug counselor if you should hand a potential addict cash? Some will say of course. Majority say, no way.

OP quoted "The devil goes to church too"

May want to consider the devil preaches at church too; Joel Osteen, Keneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Rick Warren...all sell outs, and these are just a fraction of the visible ones. A large church out in Happy Valley just had their pastor of many years, leave so him and his wife could focus on their multi-level marketing and John Maxwell leadership scam courses.

But...we can know a tree by its fruit

If you can train your mind to be calmer under stress than you are less likely to make a mistake or otherwise do something questionable.
An easy way to introduce stress into your training is to add a timing element to your range time. For instance, place target and give yourself 10 seconds to pull your weapon and get 7 shots on target...It certainly worked in adding stress to qualifying for my dept.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads