JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know some police officers and they know a lot more about guns than I ever will. Maybe we are friends because we share the same interests. Some of the videos I see of officers handling guns are cringe-worthy, particularly when there are a number of them all with weapons drawn.

I'm guessing that the officer didn't want the guy drawing on him. That being said, I once was asked to remove my sidearm off by an officer . I was extremely angry, almost irrational, at the time. Probably more so than the guy in the article. However, the officer just had me unholster and hand him the revolver before he unloaded it and stuck it in his car for a few while the situation played out....Before anyone shouts "what 'bout yer rights", I can't blame him one bit under the circumstances and I willfully obliged.
"Officer safety" issue..

If an officer ever asks me if I have a gun the answer is always no. Whether I have one on me (99.99% of the time) or not.

Just cause an individual works in LE doesn't mean they're proficient with handling a gun. Especially one they are unfamiliar with. Sprinkle the scenario with a little stress and…….

I carry appendix so it wouldn't be a leg wound if that were to happen to me. More than likely I'd bleed out (femoral) or never walk again due to the damage to the pelvic girdle. But my wife would get some decent money…. So that's a positive.

If an officer ever asks me if I have a gun the answer is always no. Whether I have one on me (99.99% of the time) or not.

Just cause an individual works in LE doesn't mean they're proficient with handling a gun. Especially one they are unfamiliar with. Sprinkle the scenario with a little stress and…….

I carry appendix so it wouldn't be a leg wound if that were to happen to me. More than likely I'd bleed out (femoral) or never walk again due to the damage to the pelvic girdle. But my wife would get some decent money…. So that's a positive.
So Washington is a "duty to inform" state, but only if asked. Not sure where you live or laws there if they differ.

In any case, my question is, how do you see that playing out if you're asked, you reply no when in fact you are, then for one reason or another it is determined by the cop that you lied about carrying?

Not attacking you or being passive aggressive. I'm honestly just curious what that would look like for you. Or maybe you've already experienced it...

So Washington is a "duty to inform" state, but only if asked. Not sure where you live or laws there if they differ.

In any case, my question is, how do you see that playing out if you're asked, you reply no when in fact you are, then for one reason or another it is determined by the cop that you lied about carrying?

Not attacking you or being passive aggressive. I'm honestly just curious what that would look like for you. Or maybe you've already experienced it...
If I'm going to be searched then I would obviously inform them. Until that point it's none of their concern.

I follow the law (for the most part) and have no concerns about interactions with LE. I carry a full size Glock and have had conversations with multiple officers and have never had an issue.

With that being said if I am forced to use my firearm then I would immediately inform LE that I have it on my person when they arrive. Ideally I would have already made the call to dispatch giving my location, description, and what took place, along with that fact I was in possession of a firearm.

I have been pulled over and when your plates or your drivers license gets ran it will automatically notify LE that you have a CHL. Normally they will ask if there is anything on you or in the vehicle at which point I politely say not at this point and time.

Know the laws. Knowing your rights, probable cause, reasonable suspicion and case law goes a decent distance in interacting with LE. This is coming from someone who respects LE in a great way.

Last Edited:

Understanding exactly what the law says is important. Don't lie to them, but don't share unnecessarily either.

Do I need to inform law enforcement that I am carrying a concealed weapon?
You are not statutorily required to inform law enforcement you are carrying a weapon in the state of Washington, but you must present your permit if requested.

1. In most city limits it is illegal to discharge your firearm to defend property. A dog is property, so if the other dog isn't attacking you, use pepper spray, or your boot!

2. I've already decided that if I'm ever in a situation where an officer needs to take a gun off of me, I will remind him/her that the weapon is hot, and ask he/she to remove the firearm by un-clipping the holster and taking the entire rig

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top