JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mind you these are the people our overlords want us to assimilate into society. The experience you just had is one that many people have almost daily in or around Portland or Seattle but we're I guess just supposed to put those encounters behind us? Somehow we're the dangerous ones because we decided to arm ourselves appropriately. Yet we're the predictable ones living precitable lives. The people jumping out in front of cars in the dark hours of twilight are the ones you never know what their motivation is or how far they'd go regardless of what their weapon of choice is. We used to have mental wards for people like this. The streets have become the courtyard of the asylum.
The city is the asylum now, and literally the nuts are taking over the asylum.

I recall a 1974 Ford Galaxie 500 I has with a 351 Windsor ithat would do 24 mpg on the highway, all day, everyday. That car ran like a clock. Dead silent inside. Great car,
That one sounds like a keeper, especially since by 1974 they were ladling on the smog equipment. The Windsor design was typically thriftier with fuel than the Cleveland. Yet I've owned many small block V8 Ford products of the 60's and 70's, and I can't remember one that got 24 mpg. I've owned four 65-66 Mustangs, all with the 289 V8 engine, one with 4 speed trans and highway rear axle, I've still got my mileage logs for that one from 1972, I think 19-20 mpg was the best it would get. The 66 Fairlane sedan I owned for 34 years, it had the 289 2V V8, C4 trans and highway gears, that one would do 19 mpg and that was it. Declining quality of fuel over the years may account for a small amount of that. Meaning, they may have done a little better when built than they might do 20 years later.

The 1973 and 1974 were similar to one another; I had a 74 with a 351 Windsor but never drove it much. At the same time, I had a 73 that was given to me as a gift, sort of a "kit car". It had the 400 engine, C6 trans. It had been sitting for many years with the engine disassembled; only the block was still under the hood, the rest was in the trunk, including all the new pieces to put it back together. Which I did. That car was a running fool, but of course the 400 engine was not real thrifty.

The 73-78 big Fords were pretty heavy cars. About 200-300 lbs. heavier than the 71-72's I've owned many of. The parts starting in 1973 were re-engineered, everything heavier. And those mandated crash bumpers were massive. Full-sized Ford and Lincoln shared the same chassis components.

I used to take my 66 Ford Fairlane everywhere, including places it should've never gone. Lots of shooting trips. Some day I will tell the story of how I got it back in a rocky canyon and only desperate measures got me out of there, with two six year old boys in the back seat. Anyway, I learned about shooting across the hoods of cars with that one. I was shooting a centerfire rifle, braced on a front fender, shooting across the hood. After I'd fired a number of rounds, I stopped shooting, and was looking around. That's when I noticed that the concussion of discharged cartridges had blistered little dots of paint off the hood of the car. A lot of little dots. Oops.

73 Ford kit car:
IMG_20181029_0028.jpg

74 Ford LTD:
IMG_20181029_0015.jpg

Last Edited:
That one sounds like a keeper, especially since by 1974 they were ladling on the smog equipment. The Windsor design was typically thriftier with fuel than the Cleveland. Yet I've owned many small block V8 Ford products of the 60's and 70's, and I can't remember one that got 24 mpg. I've owned four 65-66 Mustangs, all with the 289 V8 engine, one with 4 speed trans and highway rear axle, I've still got my mileage logs for that one from 1972, I think 19-20 mpg was the best it would get. The 66 Fairlane sedan I owned for 34 years, it had the 289 2V V8, C4 trans and highway gears, that one would do 19 mpg and that was it. Declining quality of fuel over the years may account for a small amount of that. Meaning, they may have done a little better when built than they might do 20 years later.

The 1973 and 1974 were similar to one another; I had a 74 with a 351 Windsor but never drove it much. At the same time, I had a 73 that was given to me as a gift, sort of a "kit car". It had the 400 engine, C6 trans. It had been sitting for many years with the engine disassembled; only the block was still under the hood, the rest was in the trunk, including all the new pieces to put it back together. Which I did. That car was a running fool, but of course the 400 engine was not real thrifty.

The 73-78 big Fords were pretty heavy cars. About 200-300 lbs. heavier than the 71-72's I've owned many of. The parts starting in 1973 were re-engineered, everything heavier. And those mandated crash bumpers were massive. Full-sized Ford and Lincoln shared the same chassis components.

I used to take my 66 Ford Fairlane everywhere, including places it should've never gone. Lots of shooting trips. Some day I will tell the story of how I got it back in a rocky canyon and only desperate measures got me out of there, with two six year old boys in the back seat. Anyway, I learned about shooting across the hoods of cars with that one. I was shooting a centerfire rifle, braced on a front fender, shooting across the hood. After I'd fired a number of rounds, I stopped shooting, and was looking around. That's when I noticed that the concussion of discharged cartridges had blistered little dots of paint off the hood of the car. A lot of little dots. Oops.

73 Fprd kit car:
View attachment 1751785

74 Ford LTD:
View attachment 1751786
Those bring back memories. My 500 was the lighter blue, blue vinyl interior, white vinyl roof, white pin-striping and even had a rear window defroster. It was a box that sat on the rear package shelf, made a helluva racket but could clear the rear window in just a few minutes.

I recall that car floated pretty well down the highway.

73 Ford kit car:
View attachment 1751785

74 Ford LTD:
View attachment 1751786
I was a Pontiac and Chevy guy in the 70s but that LTD was a great looking car. I did buy an 83 Crown Vic in around 2000 and was very happy with it. For a 302 it moved along OK. Great highway car. I would take it downtown because it had 130K miles on it and who cares if someone screws with it. :D Nobody ever cut me off in that car. I wound up giving it to a friend who had fallen on hard times, and he drove it into the ground.

The city is the asylum now, and literally the nuts are taking over the asylum.
Yep and the problem is now bigger than the capacity to take care of it. The people who voted in the do-nothings who let this problem grow to these proportions should pat themselves on the back. Must be part of "build back better."

Yep and the problem is now bigger than the capacity to take care of it. The people who voted in the do-nothings who let this problem grow to these proportions should pat themselves on the back. Must be part of "build back better."
They're generally pretty smug about it.

One more positive for the Subaru Crosstrek - a generous amount of ground clearance. This did cross my mind when looking at the Crosstrek last year. It would be easy to jump a curb to get away from a scenario.

Mistake number 1 was stopping. Get off the X. Rule number 1 is don't stop. If you're concerned that someone may need your help, first get off the bubbleguming X. You can stop a block up, strap up and walk back over there if you are actually concerned.

Quoting myself. The other day, my no. 1 daughter was visiting, she mentioned that she was taking her 2016 Jeep Cherokee in for service at the dealer. I asked her what was wrong with it. She said something about the heater, and (wait for it): The auto stop-stop feature didn't work. I asked her why she would want that feature to work and she said because the warning light on the dash kept coming on.
Update: The heater issue. It would blow, but not very hot. Turns out the vehicle was low on coolant. When she took it in, they told her the radiator had a hole in it. But guess what? When they bought that vehicle, they got sucked into the extended warranty sale. Which covered the cost of the new radiator, less $50 deductible. And I guess it's been paying for the other repairs that have been needed along the way:

It makes my heart glad to hear someone is getting something back out of one of those extended warranties. The Chrysler dealer must sell a better version than others. Car Shield is one that I hear bad things about. It is much advertised but railed against by customers. My dear old dad used to warn me against high volume advertisers.

Update: The heater issue. It would blow, but not very hot. Turns out the vehicle was low on coolant. When she took it in, they told her the radiator had a hole in it. But guess what? When they bought that vehicle, they got sucked into the extended warranty sale. Which covered the cost of the new radiator, less $50 deductible. And I guess it's been paying for the other repairs that have been needed along the way:

It makes my heart glad to hear someone is getting something back out of one of those extended warranties. The Chrysler dealer must sell a better version than others. Car Shield is one that I hear bad things about. It is much advertised but railed against by customers. My dear old dad used to warn me against high volume advertisers.
I just got what I thought was a pretty good deal on a warrantee for a convection oven. I should have read the details more carefully. The 3 year extended warrantee begins on the purchase date. The oven already has a two year warrantee. So now it seems I actually have a mediocre deal on a 1 year extended warrantee. I have something like 30 days to cancel it. Better go read at least that part. :rolleyes:

A lot of those extended car warranties have stipulations that receipts for all maintenance must be available/presented for any claim to be paid.

So if you buy and are the 2nd or 3rd owner you're basically boned unless that car came with receipts for every oil change, general maintenance or any repairs or applicable maintenance pertaining to whatever part you're needing repaired ie transmission or engine.

A coworker bought a 2013 or 14 f150 and had the extended warranty required in order for him to get financing on it. The engine failed and his claim was denied because he didn't have proof that oil changes happened at all suggested intervals since he was 2nd or 3rd owner.

Cost him like 9 grand out of pocket.

A lot of those extended car warranties have stipulations that receipts for all maintenance must be available/presented for any claim to be paid.

So if you buy and are the 2nd or 3rd owner you're basically boned unless that car came with receipts for every oil change, general maintenance or any repairs or applicable maintenance pertaining to whatever part you're needing repaired ie transmission or engine.

A coworker bought a 2013 or 14 f150 and had the extended warranty in order for him to get financing on it. The engine failed and his claim was denied because he didn't have proof that oil changes happened at all suggested intervals since he was 2nd or 3rd owner.

Cost him like 9 grand out of pocket.
9 grand seems like a lot for an F150 motor.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews