JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just got email from Botac on eBay.
34 bucks light cheap lancer plate carrier.
no plates but for 34 bucks it can sit in the trunk of the car with some ammo after you put some mag pouch on it.View attachment 511557

Now you buy some level III+ or level iV plates. Level III+ so it will stop m193 rounds since III plates can be defeated by m193 rounds.

Gear maker here, with an old 1960s Singer home machine that's rated for "light industrial use"....

Hate to tell you guys but....

There's a reason good quality carriers can be more expensive.

Fabrics. Anywhere from $15 a yard at the more affordable range (500D Cordura) to $25 a yard, if not more (Specialty fabrics, usually licensed camouflage fabrics in 1000D Cordura or heavier like 1650 Ballistic Nylon) to $60 a yard for DuPont's Hypalon fabric (used for rafts/inflatables!)... And that's retail prices. Wholesale can be much lower, but means must make a lot more gear to use.

Webbing, anywhere from $1.00 a yard to $5 a yard, again, depending on type and usage. Retail yet again.

Thread, price varies, but ideally one wants a Nylon 6.6 Tex 70 or size 69 thread, bonded. Not available in most sewing stores in the Mil Spec colors. Often have to go off colors (Khaki, Sand, or Black). Guttermann is a good reliable brand for Tex 70 thread. Coats & Clark is a brand to AVOID for outdoor gear. Their thread breaks far too easily, and unravels far too easily as well.

Needle size; 16-18 for Tex 70 thread, regardless of fabric weight.

Buckles, Loops, Tri-Glides, Tablers, Slides, etc... varies in price, and in sources. Cheap stuff from overseas MAY work, but they may also break easier and not last long outdoors. ITW-Nexus, Duraflex/National Molding are good brands. Metal hardware is tossup. If Ebay info says "from China/Hong Kong", avoid because its often a low quality steel or aluminum or blackened brass. If source is either US, Taiwan or UK, should be OK.
Velcro, again, it depends. Good brand is Velcro(tm), other is if sourced from US for US Mil Spec contracts. If sourced from China, Taiwan, or anywhere else, toss up. Techniques exists for sewing hook and loop without fraying thread.

Now, these are just the raw materials.

How many hours of work, and the quality of the workmanship is really important to consider. A full rigger shop or gear maker shop such as that of Tactical Tailor, Eagle Industries, Dana Designs/Mystery Ranch, Gregory, would have several different machines for different purposes, often with specific jigs set up, this makes assembling the gear MUCH faster than having a person do all the work on one machine. But it also means increased man-hours because you now have an operator per machine, and it is more like an assembly line with specific operators and specific steps at each stage. Unlike shops in China, Vietnam, or any other 3rd world sweat shop, the US gear makers tend to have specific experienced sewing machine operators and stricter quality control requirements. Of course, contract gear is not always the best, top-shelf, premium materials and workmanship...but it is usually to a minimum specified level, and some approved Commercial Off-The-Shelf gear goes beyond that.

Economy of scale, quality of workmanship, quality of materials all come together to make certain items much more expensive than what you get from overseas for the most part.

I'll be the first to admit, I got into making my own gear because I didn't want to pay premium prices for quality that's not always better than surplus :rolleyes::oops: But it has made me painfully aware of how hard it is to get good quality gear at a set price point, and be competitive with what's on the market. This is why I tend to make things for very specific, niche markets like the Redball magazine pouches/rigs for Hi Point 9mm carbines, or in configurations that are not offered anymore like an ALICE chest rig replica of a rig rumored to be used by USMC, or a mixture of both ALICE and MOLLE on a plate carrier (OD plate carrier shown earlier in this thread).

Wow, sorry for writing an article on gear making :eek: :cool:

TL/DR, gear quality depends greatly on who makes them, and what materials are the gear made of, not always on prices. :cool:

Last Edited:
I'm looking to get a chest rig to carry some extra AR mags and probably an IFAK for when I go out to the range. What are some decent brands that fit well and arent super cumbersome and also doesn't break the bank? It doesn't have to have the option for plates but if it's a decent deal and a good company I wouldn't mind the option off adding some protection.

Spiritus Systems

I think overall the question here is how to you plan to use it. if it is just from convenience on the range and you have no plan on using it for other reasons then any of the suggestions above would work as is and are great suggestions. I personally think the following; (and this is just my 2c)

1. if your going to invest money into it then I would suggest that you train with it as well. teach yourself the mechanics of using a Chest rig or Plate carrier.
2. Think about your overall goal and invest and train towards that (this might actually be #1)
3. Set it up how you would use it. I have mine setup different then others due to what I think I might use mine for and have invested in gear that I feel will stand up to my use model.
4. have fun with it and get use to using it :)

52938281_307452296579916_4427975775957811200_n.jpg 52939563_2112003875555007_4942698748498149376_n.jpg View attachment 552315

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top