JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few yrs ago I was on the hunt for a "hobby grade" rig to wear on a 3 day, no vehicles, surveying trip of a buddy's recently acquired acerage. Had to pack EVERYTHING in and out including some non-standard items (for the surveying/marking)... we weren't expecting the Taliban, but it was morell (mushroom) season and those guys can gett pretty territorial, even of you OWN the territory.

Anyway, I bought one of these:
U.S. Military Surplus MOLLE Load Bearing Vest, Used - 703770, Tactical Vests at Sportsman's Guide
...in coyote brown.

If you're not married to the chest rig idea, these are a great deal (USA made and NOT "hobby grade").

Tactical Tailor MAV OD Chest rig; no padded harness (Altho I do have an OD harness for it, it's currently on my modified MOLLE I system)
2 Large utility pouches, and an 8-mag MOLLE/ALICE pouch I sewed up myself.
DSCF1691.JPG
DSCF1692.JPG
View of the unit; 4 cells, 2 mags per cell, velcro flaps (Could have done better job on the top... :rolleyes:) both MOLLE (Ranger greenish) and ALICE (red threaded webbing) on the front. Flaps open forward instead of backwards, easier to get mags out. Prototype only for personal use.

LBT H harness rig I picked up from Aloha Surplus, collectors tell me that it's legit and I did good on it.... an alternative method of carrying mags for range use; also seems to be pretty good at spreading weight out better than the ALICE Y harness. DSCF1693.JPG DSCF1698.JPG
As picked up; DSCF1701.JPG
Blinged out for two-gun carriage, LBT triple pistol mag pouch
, 2x ALICE mag pouches, 2x canteens, USGI First aid kit box pouch, Bianchi holster on drop leg platform, field dressing/compass pouch and a strobe pouch with a SDU-5E strobe; need to get the PRC68.com's CR123 battery adapter for it so I don't have to hunt down the mercury batteries.
Realistic setup likely would remove the pistol stuff to a riggers belt, and then thats about it. I might make a lightweight split front "vest"/Cummerbund harness that has fixed pockets and D rings for the H harness to clip onto, in 1000D Cordura, same color as my OD stuff I've made. By the eay, the belt is a size Medium, it doesnt fit me, but should fit my svelte wifey fine :p

I just ordered 302 dollars worth of stuff from AMMUNITION DEPOT .
They are having a sale you can order sling packs or chest rigs .
package deals i got a pack and 22 ammo and a pack with 45 ammo and a car gun safe any order over 300 bucks free shipping so I ordered 302 dollars worth LOL

I've heard good things about this PIG Plate Carrier

Also heard nice things about this: Shellback Tactical Banshee Rifle Plate Carrier

Last time I checked, Aloha Surplus had a IOTV around the $300 mark iirc. Improved Outer Tactical Vest - Wikipedia

If thats not your deal then go with a simple LBE or any of the tac vests sold from Tactical Tailors or Blackhawks website will work. Even Airsoft gear would work if all its going to do is hold mags/accessories etc.
I like my Banshee after modding it.

I'm looking to get a chest rig to carry some extra AR mags and probably an IFAK for when I go out to the range. What are some decent brands that fit well and arent super cumbersome and also doesn't break the bank? It doesn't have to have the option for plates but if it's a decent deal and a good company I wouldn't mind the option off adding some protection.

If you make it to Western Washington (King County - I know... Ugh...) or live here already, Pantel Tactical in Renton is a Must Visit for custom gear and chest rigs amongst other things. It's a cool shop to hang out in and talk.
PANTEL TACTICAL

Why not get a US Military Fighting Load Carrier (FLC) and add whatever pouches you need? That's what I use for a hunting vest instead of a pack so I can get to my optics, snacks, radio, IFAK, etc. without having to stop and take a backpack off. They're super adjustable, and would likely fit over armor if you decide to add that later. How do you go wrong for $17, and they're actually made in this country!

Last Edited:
Why not get a US Military Fighting Load Carrier (FLC) and add whatever pouches you need? That's what I use for a hunting vest instead of a pack so I can get to my optics, snacks, radio, IFAK, etc. without having to stop and take a backpack off. How do you go wrong for $17, and they're actually made in this country!
Because to build a vest system would cost more money if going all new pouches, and because its terrible for certain body types. Its far too short in torso length to be comfortable on my type, riding more like a chest rig, and its not as comfortable as a simple chest rig or the ALICE H harness or older LBVs. The FLCs are meant to be worn with armor, and usually the armor is a bit short on the torso, so the vest has to follow its size to not interfere with the armor. However for the much bigger dudes, the armor sits very high and so does the vest. Although the vest can adjust to fit big bellies, it cannot really adjust for both big bellies and tall torsos due to the fixed height of the vest. At that point, its easier to just get a MAV or similar chest rig which can adjust where it sits to be far more comfortable and easy to get to. Here is an example I pulled from the internet on how the flc sits on a big and tall dude. The ACU, DCU, Coyote and the 2 versions of the Woodland vests are all same way.. the very first version of the FLC, from 1997 contract shown at bottom had the foresight to have adjustable height, but unfortunately its all along the lower edge (belt portion) I have two examples of the first gen MOLLE flcs, and aa 2nd gen FLC, and the combat Medic LBV shaped one, which in my opinion is a great survival/hunting/range vest.

rig4.jpg rig1.jpg 20180407_163234.jpg 20180407_163305.jpg

Because to build a vest system would cost more money if going all new pouches, and because its terrible for certain body types. Although the vest can adjust to fit big bellies, it cannot really adjust for both big bellies and tall torsos due to the fixed height of the vest.

Not true on mine. Surplus USGI pouches from eBay and so much vertical adjustment I had to cut part of the straps off. For what the OP wants, mags and IFAK, I'd guess $50 tops for everything!

What does yours look like? Here are the ones I have in addition to the 1st gen vest above. All the "vertical adjustment" on the newer vests are all on the back..do you have the drag handle right against your neck? If so, then the Mil says thats pulled too far up, its supposed to be below your nape. I guess it depends on the size of the person and his/her height. It's not really meant for real tall big dudes.... it's meant to fit the "80% of infantry" body types... not 85% of the US population ;)

For a complete MOLLE II RIfleman's vest set; pouches averaging out to $5 each at the cheapest (some stores sell some pouches for $10-20 each), you're looking at $50 minimum just for the pouches; Add in the cost of the vest, say $15 at the cheapest off Ebay.... one would be looking at $65-90 depending on condition of pouches and vest, and of course, the color scheme, with Woodland and Multicam being more pricier due to their coloring. ACU and DCU are the cheapest as far as I know..with the USMC Coyote brown vest being in between. That said, I've never seen the CB vest being worn overseas in action, only Stateside with the MARPAT uniforms and no armor for training exercises.
2x 3-mag panels
3x double mag pouches
2x grenade pouches
2x canteen pouches
1x waist pack

And this is not counting the FAK pouches, or SAW set, or accessories.

The other vest, the Combat Medic Vest...only comes with 6 pouches and the vest, but the vest itself range from $15 to $30 on ebay, and the pouches varies wildly...but as a complete set, it may run about $50-$60.

Of course it is cheaper to just get one vest, then build from that...but if one decided to buy all the pouches and accessories..then that does get expensive quickly :rolleyes:

This is sort of moot point, as OP is going to be getting a custom chest rig built to his specifications soon.

There is a reason most photos of US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan shows them putting pouches directly to their body armor...they're wearing the armor all the time, and the FLC is just in the way. There however are some pictures of the FLC being worn, mostly the 2nd and later gen ones with the integrated belts... almost none of the earlier 1st gen vest, which was indeed used by the USMC in Kosovo in 1999 or so.

DSCF1639.JPG DSCF1640.JPG DSCF1641.JPG

Just got email from Botac on eBay.
34 bucks light cheap lancer plate carrier.
no plates but for 34 bucks it can sit in the trunk of the car with some ammo after you put some mag pouch on it. s-l400.jpg

I already have a PIG magazine carrier but o got a vest which accommodates three 30 round magazines. Also has a 5 pistol mag holders and also has loops for spare shotgun shells. Also included 3 Gen2 PMAGs and 120 roounds of 5.56x45 ammo.

There is also pistol holster too but need to carry my FNX-9 with a manual safety.

9B06A5E8-3FBB-49FD-91B1-AC860216B629.jpeg 84D78DD4-B9C1-4EE4-9C49-E464FCA572C0.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads