JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guy on another forum posted this. What could have caused this?
Ammo Inc factory ammo.

DSCF6332.JPG DSCF6336.JPG

Out of battery ignition, but don't see how it would destroy the carrier group. Bolt damage appears minimal and shouldn't have had much affect on the carrier.

From the limited view of it... replace the extractor and examine all other bolt internals. Replace parts as needed. Examine the lugs for any microfractures. As long as the bolt wasn't deformed it's likely to fire just fine again.

Last Edited:
Had same thing with Remington ammo an a palmetto. They ignored me an said ARs can't have a OOB ..I call BS
Well... in the "traditional sense" when talking OOB ignition in an AR... in a properly functioning rifle... it's darn near impossible since the bolt is not fully compressed and won't allow the firing pin to extend far enough to ignite a primer.

There are variations of OOB ignitions though. IE., slam fires, high primer ignitions, extended extractor issues, and so on that are not really the same.. by definition... but the end result is the same. Ignition outside of full battery.

So... they were kinda telling the truth, but not "exactly". ;)

Well... in the "traditional sense" when talking OOB ignition in an AR... in a properly functioning rifle... it's darn near impossible since the bolt is not fully compressed and won't allow the firing pin to extend far enough to ignite a primer.

There are variations of OOB ignitions though. IE., slam fires, high primer ignitions, extended extractor issues, and so on that are not really the same.. by definition... but the end result is the same. Ignition outside of full battery.

So... they were kinda telling the truth, but not "exactly". ;)
Yup ..I always play dumb then rip em a new bubblegum with proof.. speaking of that I'm due to leave more blown up AR reviews for them. The AR isn't pleasant in detonation..AK just belly's out an put a top cover into your forehead 🤣

From the pic the bolt looks like it may have survived.
That's what I thought. The bolt looks to be in pretty decent shape... until you see the carrier. 🤣
Taking a big enough hit to do that to the carrier... you gotta guess that bolt was overstressed and likely full of micro fractures... and quite possibly distorted out of spec.

Better safe than sorry. I would junk it.

So wonder if he was having FTF problems. On blowback bolt bounce would explain it, but given how an AR works it seems like that round never fully chambered before ignition. Was he messing with lighter buffers or lowe powered springs?

My Internet Guess is over-loaded ammo.
The extractor ripped the case open because the bolt was being driven back too soon while case was still expanding in the chamber.
To me the lack of damage to the bolt and amount of damage to the carrier tells me the round was not fully in battery. Could have been bullet seated too long to chamber or possibly a chamber obstruction from a previous round like the bullet jacket in video linked above or even a loose previously blown out primer.

Ammo Inc. ammo seems to have a history of poor quality control, so I'm inclined to suspect the ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top