JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I am looking for input on potential home made heat sink designs for AR barrels.
I am beginning building a upper that will get abused with high round count / heavy firing schedule and have been toying with the idea of barrel heat sinks.
I am aware of the JP enterprise heat sink and am a fan of the design and also aware of its shortcomings; for this upper build accuracy is not paramount, cooling is prioritized.

Unfortunately I am going to be using a heavy chrome lined barrel that has a diameter of larger than .750 near the throat so the JP will not work. So I have turned to custom design.
Does anyone have any ideas that they have dreamed up?

I am going to be using a 1" diameter barrel and up to a 1.8" inside diameter hand guard.

I have considered scraping the whole idea and just using cheap chrome lined barrels that are disposable but figured i would pick the minds of some fellow gun nerds first.

Here's a couple links to potential ideas

^wrap around coil style heat sink (lacks barrel adhesion, and can't find in aluminum)

^ solid heat sink (would need to be lathed out to fit 1" barrel profile, along with some sort of clamping design)

023E9D68-A569-4ACE-8C63-8E6F127AD1D9.jpeg 57EF8856-396A-4DAE-B5FC-12636402CED2.jpeg F2F12F64-88AE-4142-8FE6-25483CADDC80.jpeg

Hmm, an interesting engineering problem...

How much of a concern is weight? Will you be shooting from a bench or running around with this? And how long is the barrel?

Any reason you don't want to go with a fluted barrel instead?

Last Edited:
Barrels can be swapped out pretty easy.

If you think you may be shooting barrels out I would look at SOLGW, buy the barrel once, shoot it out and they will get you another.

Hmm, an interesting engineering problem...

How much of a concern is weight? Will you be shooting from a bench or running around with this? And how long is the barrel?

Any reason you don't want to go with a fluted barrel instead?
Not terribly concerned with weight, but I dont want to strap more than about 1-2lbs on if possible.

I'll be running a 20" barrel, and would like it light enough to be able to lug around.

Fluted barrels offer a better heat dissipation than round barrels but not significantly so.
They would also reduce the barrel surface area in contact with any form of heat sink applied to it; there by reducing the effects of the fluting and the heat sink.

For use between shooting sessions, put a fan on the bottom of a magazine housing

Bruce
Yeah I saw these and they do work well but I was hoping to find an active (during use) cooling design. I even thought about 3d printing in high temp resin a picatiny mount for a small fan that stays pointed at the heat sink 😂
Would be goofy as all hell but would work

I have one of these mini air pumps that I use for back packing and it runs around 2 hours on a charge and it has significant air output. Now I just need a pic rail mount lol

Get one of these and save some $$$. :p

Made of heat resistant and flame resistant split leather, all sewed by Kevlar stitching, provide extremely high heat protection up to 932°F(500℃).

Milling it flat sounds a lot less complicated. The heatsinks are only $7 each. It's not worth the effort, and you get more surface area with the store bought heatsinks.
I dunno. Turning grooves 0.125" deep from a 0.936 barrel can be done pretty quickly on a good CNC lathe. And this would have the smallest outside diameter of 0.686" which is still larger than pencil profile 0.625. And that's just for the straight parts where you can go down that deep. It'll look a bit wonky but doable. Could even turn the gas block portion down to 0.750 and then do govt profile from gas block to muzzle and cover the fins with a handguard...

Edit the $7 heatsinks are probably extruded aluminum and might melt.

Just an odd thought, but instead of squaring the barrel, just go with a straight profile. You could then spec the sink clamping surface to match the barrel diameter.

Also....wonder if it would benefit from using an interface like Cryo Paste or other thermal paste/grease (used for heat transfer from a computer CPU's lid to its heatsink). The tolerances between the sink and the barrel would have to be fairly tight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top