JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get a chest rig to carry some extra AR mags and probably an IFAK for when I go out to the range. What are some decent brands that fit well and arent super cumbersome and also doesn't break the bank? It doesn't have to have the option for plates but if it's a decent deal and a good company I wouldn't mind the option off adding some protection.

Chest rig and plate carrier .
You can buy a plate carrier with out the plates and use it .
And add plates later but you can not add plates to a chest rig. MCR5Multicam__60399.1462388471.300.300.jpeg 0-650-condor-mopc-modular-operator-plate-carrier-coyote-brown.jpg these are both Condor very inexpensive I have both .they work.
I have two chest rigs and two plate carriers with plates .I would suggest getting a plate carrier and try it out and if you like it you can add plates

You can find all different kinds of chest rigs and plate carrier on eBay pretty cheap .
It's not the plate carrier that counts it's the plates that stop bullets

Don't forget, you can do a LBE instead, I prefer the shotgunner style with larger pouches, they work especially well for multi caliber rigging with out being bulky, and they work with a plate carrier if you needed!

Chest rig and plate carrier .
You can buy a plate carrier with out the plates and use it .
And add plates later but you can not add plates to a chest rig.View attachment 508462 View attachment 508463 these are both Condor very inexpensive I have both .they work.
I have two chest rigs and two plate carriers with plates .I would suggest getting a plate carrier and try it out and if you like it you can add plates
Is condor a good brand for a carrier? I've heard mixed reviews. If it's decent I'd get one and then get nice plates later on.

Is condor a good brand for a carrier? I've heard mixed reviews. If it's decent I'd get one and then get nice plates later on.

Sort of the Taurus of plate carriers. Better than nothing, works fine most of the time, but not without occasional problems and without some of the bells and whistles. I started with a Condor and after wearing it for about 4 hours with plates decided I wanted something better and upgraded to the 5.11 Tac Tec, night and day difference in comfort for me.

Condor isn't great. It's OK but it's generally not as durable as other brands.

Aloha Surplus tend to overprice armor items. Action Surplus had a few IBAs without neck or groin protectors for $100 with soft armor inserts.

@EPS Actually, there IS a chest rig that takes plates, but you'd need to attach a back plate bag to it... It's the Eagle Industries Rhodesian Recon Vest rig.. I have a modified example (no bib), it has a mesh pocket with elastic, and were it not modified, would also have a 1.5" velcro strap going up to the bib to hold the top of the plate.. I think its part of the SFLCS system, as the back plate from that is compatible.

Tactical Tailor makes good chest rigs if you can find them locally.

Plenty of gear companies do so also.

I can make custom gear if desired, here's a few different examples
OD 1000D Cordura plate carrier, fits both ALICE and MOLLE,
20170807_172019.jpg 20170807_172033.jpg 20170809_140745.jpg 20170809_140750.jpg 20170809_140800.jpg

Black Hi Point 995 chest rigs; one is on a modified slick plate carrier (modified by me)
20160714_162830.jpg 20160714_162850.jpg 20160904_173621.jpg DSCF0879.JPG
I also made a few AR15 rigs, one is a simple 6-mag split front rig with zippered pockets on the back for FAK/general purpose items, its for sale...
20170526_170231.jpg
20170526_170243.jpg
20170526_170257.jpg
20170526_170449.jpg

here is a MOLLE 3-mag pouch/cummerbund adapter prototype in Multicam. Attached to a Diamondback Tactical plate carrier (Size Large)
DSCF1615.JPG DSCF1614.JPG DSCF1616.JPG DSCF1617.JPG DSCF1618.JPG DSCF1619.JPG DSCF1620.JPG 20170810_083032.jpg

Also, Action Surplus down in Eugene has a lot of 6-mag MOLLE Bandoliers in Woodland, Coyote brown, and a few ACU examples and some DCU examples, maybe a couple Multicam... prices range from $9 to $15 depending on which colors.

Condor isn't great. It's OK but it's generally not as durable as other brands.

Aloha Surplus tend to overprice armor items. Action Surplus had a few IBAs without neck or groin protectors for $100 with soft armor inserts.

@EPS Actually, there IS a chest rig that takes plates, but you'd need to attach a back plate bag to it... It's the Eagle Industries Rhodesian Recon Vest rig.. I have a modified example (no bib), it has a mesh pocket with elastic, and were it not modified, would also have a 1.5" velcro strap going up to the bib to hold the top of the plate.. I think its part of the SFLCS system, as the back plate from that is compatible.

Tactical Tailor makes good chest rigs if you can find them locally.

Plenty of gear companies do so also.

I can make custom gear if desired, here's a few different examples
OD 1000D Cordura plate carrier, fits both ALICE and MOLLE,
View attachment 508536 View attachment 508537 View attachment 508538 View attachment 508539 View attachment 508540

Black Hi Point 995 chest rigs; one is on a modified slick plate carrier (modified by me)
View attachment 508542 View attachment 508543 View attachment 508544 View attachment 508545
I also made a few AR15 rigs, one is a simple 6-mag split front rig with zippered pockets on the back for FAK/general purpose items, its for sale...
View attachment 508558
View attachment 508559
View attachment 508560
View attachment 508561

here is a MOLLE 3-mag pouch/cummerbund adapter prototype in Multicam. Attached to a Diamondback Tactical plate carrier (Size Large)
View attachment 508547 View attachment 508546 View attachment 508549 View attachment 508550 View attachment 508551 View attachment 508552 View attachment 508553 View attachment 508541
I know there not great but compare 50 bucks or less to 250 bucks they are great.
If you got the money to buy a plate carrier for 600 bucks and put it in your closet and probably never use it .
Be my guest go for it

I bought the DBT carrier for $35 locally. I do also have an Eagle Land-CIRAS carrier in XL that I bought for $115.. there are good deals out there that's far better than the Condor ;) Just got to shop around. $100 for an used IBA with soft armor isn't bad really... if you want that specific look. There however are better designed/more comfortable carriers... armor plates themselves is what drives the costs way up... @Squash_edc ; is this just for range use? PM me, I might have some stuff we can talk about. (black 6-mag chest rig is for sale by the way ;) but I might have other things that might be better fit)

The PROBLEM is lots of these new ones coming on the market .are companies started by vets .
So they say I been there done that then I design a better way.
And add 200 bucks.
But if you put them side by side .
You can't really see a difference.
Fact is unless you are law enforcement or something like that your not useing your plate carrier every day.
And like I said it's not the carrier that stops bullets.

I'm mainly looking for something to go to the range. Plate carrier would be cool but I don't necessarily "need" one since I don't really plan on getting into a fire fight anytime soon.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews