JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well! I'm 26 and finally got my own saw! Idk why it's taken me this long. I guess I've always just used my dads Stihl 029super when I needed one. But his was in the shop when I needed one and I was like "why the he!! Don't I have one of my own. So I bought an almost brand new Stihl MS290 for $250 good deal I think.

I changed the plug, filters looked good. Got a new skip tooth chain. And there's some pretty good life left on the 20" Oregon bar. Then went to work and tested it out. Cut down a 37" fir this last week and got most of my fire wood for the next year (2.5 cord) worked as expected. I don't think I had to ever pull the cord more than 5 times to get it started.

I picked up 3 new files(with a handle), got a spare chain that came on it. Bought a spare plug, got a cool original Stihl spark plug wrench and chain tightener.

What else do I need for spare parts? Am I missing anything? What would be good to keep on hand? What's the best way to store gas/oil? How much oil and mixed gas should I keep on hand? How much oil to mix with should I keep on hand? Tell me what I'm missing!

Yeah that's my little man who ALWAYS wants to help dad.

65FCD396-03C3-400D-B48A-DF8F4664F103.jpeg EB0FFF15-62CE-4FE9-AE2F-2AA117B8F062.jpeg 51D88E3C-83FB-4CBD-979A-654BA915EED3.jpeg image.jpg

Ethanol free gas mix. 40:1 to 50:1. Store in a clean container that's vented and/or not subject to excessive heat. Volume depends on frequency of use but good within 6 mos. Some cans of premix- e.g. Flex Fuel- last years. Almost worth price premium if you only cut couple times a year or don't need mix gas for other tools.

Top off bar oil with every gas fill up. Watch for excessive/lean oiling and adjust as needed.

Spare air filter. You can clean dirty ones with a spray can of Carb and choke cleaner- e.g. Berryman B-12. You'll get more life out of them with cleaner rather than blasting with air hose.

Back up bar in same length.

Old credit card to slide down the groove in the bar to get the gunk out.

A flat file to remove burrs on sides of bar. Also to take down risers on your chain.

Extra length of pull cord.

Extra bar nut.

Extra tensioning screw.

Old toothbrush or air hose to clear junk buildup around gas and oil caps.

For your boy, kid sized muffs or ear plugs on a string/neck band.

If you're going to be felling, good practice to have another saw onsite. Sucks if your saw craps out in the middle of a back cut.

Note that backup saw doesn't have to be another chainsaw. A good hand saw will work to free a stuck saw or finish a tree if needed.

I also carry my second bar and chain so that I can swap to those if I get a pinched bar.

I don't think I have had a pinch since that first time tho. Once you do it once you start carrying that extra gear. After that you just start to really learn to watch the kerf and cut more carefully.

YouTube University is you friend.

Ethanol free gas mix. 40:1 to 50:1. Store in a clean container that's vented and/or not subject to excessive heat. Volume depends on frequency of use but good within 6 mos. Some cans of premix- e.g. Flex Fuel- last years. Almost worth price premium if you only cut couple times a year or don't need mix gas for other tools.

Top off bar oil with every gas fill up. Watch for excessive/lean oiling and adjust as needed.

Spare air filter. You can clean dirty ones with a spray can of Carb and choke cleaner- e.g. Berryman B-12. You'll get more life out of them with cleaner rather than blasting with air hose.

Back up bar in same length.

Old credit card to slide down the groove in the bar to get the gunk out.

A flat file to remove burrs on sides of bar. Also to take down risers on your chain.

Extra length of pull cord.

Extra bar nut.

Extra tensioning screw.

Old toothbrush or air hose to clear junk buildup around gas and oil caps.

For your boy, kid sized muffs or ear plugs on a string/neck band.

If you're going to be felling, good practice to have another saw onsite. Sucks if your saw craps out in the middle of a back cut.
What's the tensioning screw for? For the chain tensioner?

Yes, chain happiness results from proper tension. Just a little +/-- can have an amazing effect on how your woodsie day goes.
As a rarely-use-it saw user these days, I've found a worthy product-otherwise hideously expensive-- is a synthetic high octane gas-oil premix that comes in a quart can and supposedly doesn't deteriorate over the year.
A saw-buck may be a worth while investment. I didn't realize how much sheer labor it could save, even the light weigh alloy folder. I had to cut firewood for decades before getting smart enough to realize it really was an advantage.

And beware loaning a perfectly functioning saw to itinerant saw-buddies who really DON'T know how to treat 'em..........

What else do I need for spare parts? nothing

Am I missing anything? What would be good to keep on hand?

What's the best way to store gas/oil? keep not more than three months worth. Drain saw if not and run carb dry if not going to use for two or more months.

Good price on that 290.

An often over looked item is to pop off the sprocket and grease the needle bearing behind it.

If you want to up your game then try befriending a tree faller and have him square grind you a full comp chain, it's a real game changer.

I buck 5-6 cords every summer from delivered logs….. not saying that's a lot but with that minimal use…..

2-3 extra chains (because they were sold in 2 packs)
Extra bar
2- round files
1- flat
Extra Scrench
Nylon and wire brush
Plenty of fuel mix
Even more bar oil
Carburetor rebuild kit
New air filters and sparkys
And I do enjoy the electric harbor freight chain sharpener in off season…… but a file is really all you need.
And EYES , EARS, HAND PPE….. no chaps yet.

This feels like the minimum

What else do I need for spare parts? nothing

Am I missing anything? What would be good to keep on hand?

What's the best way to store gas/oil? keep not more than three months worth. Drain saw if not and run carb dry if not going to use for two or more months.

Good price on that 290.

An often over looked item is to pop off the sprocket and grease the needle bearing behind it.

If you want to up your game then try befriending a tree faller and have him square grind you a full comp chain, it's a real game changer.
Glad to hear I got a good price. As I thought.
I need to replace the sprocket actually. So I'll make sure to grease it when I replace! Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top