JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My takeaways are like this in no particular order

Situational. When the (grand)kid is strapped in, that's a fight.
Just me, I am getting out of the way, try to be a good observer, but moving incase the just pop one in my general direction.
Wife, they can have her please, j/k. Gotta be interacting so she can extract herself without violence

I normally carry 4 o'clock, so once the seatbelt is in place, there no easy draw, so I have been thinking about getting one, maybe in the center console or under dash. For those who put there pistol in an in-car holder, do that after you are in/locked/started? Can that be done easily?

If you drive a lot, do you shoulder/chest carry? Can you draw while seated with Appendix carry / hip carry?

For those situation where you have to lock the pistol in the car, like going into the Post Office, can you do that while locked in and car started? In/Out?
For bad actors on mobility devices - like bicycles or skateboards, they can cover a big distance quietly - be very alert while the transition is going on. Should you loose the car with the gun in the safe, that is less bad then the bad actor getting your pistol while you are standing there.

I don't see this in too many articles, but bad actors may figure out that 1/20 carry, and coulld pat you down as they pull you out. Do you have retention in your holster. Mine is more that a pouch - have to twist - but not like cops use.

For situations where you are out of the car - like at a gas station. What, never mind, I am in OR and we don't pump our own :D

You can't out draw a gun in hand.

Do not want to escalate to more violence. Why get stabbed/slashed?

I normally like to keep my car in "show room" clean, rather than family lived-in. Minimize prowlers motivation to break in and search thru when there are better targets. But with my mom now using a walker, I have lost much of my trunk space and have more items in the car.

Just me, I am getting out of the way, try to be a good observer, but moving incase the just pop one in my general direction.
Wife, they can have her please, j/k. Gotta be interacting so she can extract herself without violence

I normally carry 4 o'clock, so once the seatbelt is in place, there no easy draw, so I have been thinking about getting one, maybe in the center console or under dash. For those who put there pistol in an in-car holder, do that after you are in/locked/started? Can that be done easily?

If you drive a lot, do you shoulder/chest carry? Can you draw while seated with Appendix carry / hip carry?

For those situation where you have to lock the pistol in the car, like going into the Post Office, can you do that while locked in and car started? In/Out?
For bad actors on mobility devices - like bicycles or skateboards, they can cover a big distance quietly - be very alert while the transition is going on. Should you loose the car with the gun in the safe, that is less bad then the bad actor getting your pistol while you are standing there.

I don't see this in too many articles, but bad actors may figure out that 1/20 carry, and coulld pat you down as they pull you out. Do you have retention in your holster. Mine is more that a pouch - have to twist - but not like cops use.

For situations where you are out of the car - like at a gas station. What, never mind, I am in OR and we don't pump our own :D

I normally like to keep my car in "show room" clean, rather than family lived-in. Minimize prowlers motivation to break in and search thru when there are better targets. But with my mom now using a walker, I have lost much of my trunk space and have more items in the car.
Re pat u down, Just my opinion but I don't think it's gonna happen just cuz they r often not smart enough and in too big of a hurry. The ones I have seen all went down lightning fast. But there was a thread about an ASP video where perp wanted to see car owner's belt to check for gun that might be interesting to watch (check for firearm is at 6:30 mark).

To me almost everyone of these real world examples comes down to early detection and avoidance.

But in the event the perp gets the drop on u then it seems to me there are quite a few choices such as 1) give him the car, 2) distract immediately and shoot, 3) pretend compliance and then shoot as soon as you have the opportunity (or make a distraction to create the opportunity), 4) drive away and hope for the best, 5) once out of the car try to disarm him, 6) blast away with something big enough such as #00 buck (or if u are accurate enough to hit CNS with something smaller) to take him out before he can shoot. I suppose you could add 7) go on the offensive and run him over but the chances of having that opportunity might be slim as they are probably going to be to the side of the car.

So it depends on situation I think, individuals training level and preferences, and their risk tolerance. I know for me I don't like #5 or #6. I do like #3 but it's totally situation-dependent I think.

I think ATF screwed us out of one of the best carjacking deterrents in the 1920's or whenever it was, the Ithaca auto and burglar:
8EF345AF-41F4-488D-A1E2-EC498D5E654A.jpeg
Load it up with #00 buck ;):p

Last Edited:

Re storage options etc. just some James Bond type stuff for fun:p
2FB95DB9-2206-47B3-867E-0372E49AEC72.jpeg EB04FDB9-840D-479F-9996-758108222CA7.jpeg
5FEAD35D-D615-4182-BA60-5DD692E98AF8.jpeg
7FC54BFA-B409-469B-96FB-B2EC5341C168.jpeg

Many are making the news

What are your best practices?

From oregonlive.com
carjacking - oregonlive.com
oregonlive › topic › carjacking

3 hours ago ... Portland man jailed on attempted murder charges after carjacking spree ... use of a motor vehicle, possession of methamphetamine and robbery.

20 hours ago ... Portland man jailed on attempted murder charges after carjacking spree, ... Massive cargo ship hauling luxury cars to US sinks in mid-Atlantic after fire.

Portland man jailed on attempted murder charges after carjacking ...

3 hours ago ... A Portland man was jailed Monday on charges of attempted murder, robbery and assault after he went on an armed carjacking spree in Clackamas ...

4 days ago ... Man arrested after police chase, driving car into Tualatin convenience store, authorities say ... Teen arrested in armed SE Portland carjacking, police say.

4 days ago ... A gunman who opened fire inside a Tumwater, Washington, Walmart and injured at least two people during carjacking attempts was fatally shot by one of two ...

Edit update to add:
Always armed with firearm! Fixed blade magnetically attached to steering column!

For me personally, my firearm is never left in the vehicle unoccupied.

Another thing to think about with "car holsters" is you are going to have to transfer a firearm from your person to the adjacent holster. Not smart IMO. If this is your plan I would suggest having extremely dark windows and be very aware of who has eyes on you. It's kind of the same theory I put on open carry.

With that being said it's a good thing you/we who daily carry consider how we draw and place our firearms/edged weapons while we drive. I drive 8+ hours a day. I carry appendix and a fixed blade on my support side. I feel for me personally it is the easiest and most comfortable position to access and use my firearm if the situation presents itself.

I like this Lyft driver's tactics.
Carjack Vid:

Gives the DB the keys, DB gets in car/closes the door, and Lyft driver draws/shoot DB thru his own car's window!
Then, the Lyft driver goes to other DB in DB's car who had put his RIFLE down, and shoots DB thru window.
Both DBs drive off and awsume asphalt temperature about a block away.

I'm surprised it was a "good shoot" for the Lyft driver as both DBs were driving away when shot, and no longer a threat.
What say you?
:s0092:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR