JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I drive a manual, best anti theft devise. Millennials can't drive stick lol..
Ahem. I are wun and that's about all I drive. Millennials are well into their 30s, even 40s now and frankly, most I know do, in fact, know how to drive manually shifted vehicles. Possibly due to my profession, but all the same. I'd imagine you're referring to teens and 20-somethings?

To answer the original question, door always locked, gun on person, drive a crapbox I could replace with a 60 hour paycheck.

Ahem. I are wun and that's about all I drive. Millennials are well into their 30s, even 40s now and frankly, most I know do, in fact, know how to drive manually shifted vehicles. Possibly due to my profession, but all the same. I'd imagine you're referring to teens and 20-somethings?

To answer the original question, door always locked, gun on person, drive a crapbox I could replace with a 60 hour paycheck.
I can proudly say as a "millennial" I was taught to drive on a manual. Spent time on a super 10 transmission as well. Watch out. I'm coming to steal your ride. Haha.

I'm a Millennial and am turning 40 next week. My first car was a stick and I've driving them ever since. I've never owned a vehicle that was made in the new millennium. I'd be more upset about the loss of the cassettes than the car if I were to get jacked. Gotta have those Creedence tapes.

I really appreciate these preparedness threads on NWFA because of how they challenge me to rethink my situational awareness in urban settings.

Before, my strategy when visiting Portland was to keep my doors locked and stay in condition yellow, but now it's: 1) drive a greased-up minivan or squatted truck 2) expel any available bodily fluids at a moment's notice 3) whip out my tennis racket gun and start mag dumping 4) release the possum

I really appreciate these preparedness threads on NWFA because of how they challenge me to rethink my situational awareness in urban settings.

Before, my strategy when visiting Portland was to keep my doors locked and stay in condition yellow, but now it's: 1) drive a greased-up minivan or squatted truck 2) expel any available bodily fluids at a moment's notice 3) whip out my tennis racket gun and start mag dumping 4) release the possum
Another public service brought to you by the faithful members of NWFA…. Following steps 1-4 above should indeed keep ya safer in Portland…

I normally drive armed of course. If some scum puts a gun to my head I would of course just step out if I could. Once I am clear of the vehicle they can have it. Several years ago I bought a little 6 speed manual when my commute tripled in distance. Had no intention of buying new was looking for something a couple years old. They had several of these new cheaper. After I bought it I realized the reason is like others have mentioned. So few learned how to drive one. Got home and one kid was over who is over 35. Asked him if he wanted to drive it. He had never driven a manual. Several people at work who were his age said the same thing. I had not noticed how they had really fallen out of favor. Couple people said the same thing said here. Lots of thieves would never be able to drive off with it. :)

I swear this guy in the vid seems to cover a lot of what's going on currently. He basically says that you are being subjected to an armed robbery and calling it a car jacking doesn't change the fact that if a guy uses lethal force to physically take something from you, you can use lethal force to protect yourself so are not simply protecting property.

Generally, I agree about the use of Deadly Force when threatened with the use of Deadly Force.

However, note what the Govt says......

Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS)

Crimes Against Persons, Property, and Society

Each NIBRS offense belongs to one of three categories: Crimes Against Persons, Crimes Against Property, and Crimes Against Society. Crimes Against Persons, e.g., murder, rape, and assault, are those whose victims are always individuals. The object of Crimes Against Property, e.g., robbery, bribery, and burglary, is to obtain money, property, or some other benefit. Crimes Against Society, e.g., gambling, prostitution, and drug violations, represent society's prohibition against engaging in certain types of activity; they are typically victimless crimes in which property is not the object.
The above.....is the criteria, for counting/keeping track of the statistics in regard to "Crime in America". Aka : "The FBI Crime Stats".

My post was partially satire to point out some of the realities and some of the public sentiment(s) while keeping in mind the Political Factors (and the use of some common excuses) in today's world.

Knowing that.....
I'll leave the more complex issue of "shoot /don't shoot" as being......

Up To You.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Been car shopping lately. Rethinking the jaguar xkr
Personally I don't think it makes any difference what type of car or it's a very small risk element. I would not even factor in the type of car at all for me personally (if I thought of cars as only transportation and it didn't matter at all what type I drive then I might factor it in). If it was professional thieves targeting high end cars they are probably going to steal it when u aren't around.

From what I've seen the crims go from car to car based on what is convenient (ie they are lazy). Can they find an easy target for where they are at the moment is the biggest factor imo.

Skip to 2:25 in this video to see the one thing that is common to nearly all instances in the crazy-high carjacking rate in Chicago.

Last Edited:
RE : Speaking of a Criminal's Choice in vehicles.

Ever notice the "trends"?

Rrrrrright......
So then.....
Before purchasing a vehicle. I'd check with my insurance person. Yup....the rates can/will vary greatly. Depending on the crime stats involving your choice in vehicles.

Back in my day......
The Hondas and Toyotas were being targeted by thieves (mostly, for the parts). Car Jacking wasn't that much of a thing. I suspect that it only became more of an issue with the growth of a certain political party with their lax attitudes about crime and punishment.

Aloha, Mark

I swear this guy in the vid seems to cover a lot of what's going on currently. He basically says that you are being subjected to an armed robbery and calling it a car jacking doesn't change the fact that if a guy uses lethal force to physically take something from you, you can use lethal force to protect yourself so are not simply protecting property.

Who robs a car with a python?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top