JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or…

C51EB3B0-2133-4723-A217-8EE2B97F450C.jpeg

It's only a crime against property.
I swear this guy in the vid seems to cover a lot of what's going on currently. He basically says that you are being subjected to an armed robbery and calling it a car jacking doesn't change the fact that if a guy uses lethal force to physically take something from you, you can use lethal force to protect yourself so are not simply protecting property.

Many are making the news

What are your best practices?

From oregonlive.com
carjacking - oregonlive.com
oregonlive › topic › carjacking

3 hours ago ... Portland man jailed on attempted murder charges after carjacking spree ... use of a motor vehicle, possession of methamphetamine and robbery.

20 hours ago ... Portland man jailed on attempted murder charges after carjacking spree, ... Massive cargo ship hauling luxury cars to US sinks in mid-Atlantic after fire.

Portland man jailed on attempted murder charges after carjacking ...

3 hours ago ... A Portland man was jailed Monday on charges of attempted murder, robbery and assault after he went on an armed carjacking spree in Clackamas ...

4 days ago ... Man arrested after police chase, driving car into Tualatin convenience store, authorities say ... Teen arrested in armed SE Portland carjacking, police say.

4 days ago ... A gunman who opened fire inside a Tumwater, Washington, Walmart and injured at least two people during carjacking attempts was fatally shot by one of two ...

Edit update to add:
Have witnessed 3 attempted carjackings in last 2.5years. All had knives. One driver was stabbed and taken away by ambulance. We trapped one guy in a back yard and cops arrested him. All 3 were done in a time of transition as person was getting out of/into vehicle. I should also mention that all three were regular cars and imo not targeted for value or looks etc.

My advice is:

1) remember your car can be a weapon, best escape method, and also cover (whether real or perceived by assailant), and concealment. Don't get out of the car for pretty much anything as it can be a ruse. Fe one of the 3 carjackings was a perp rolled his truck (probably stolen) and tried to take the car of a person stopping to help. Also the now common tactic of kids trying to lure you out of the car saying something is wrong with it etc.

2) Be aware of the possible modes of attempted carjacking especially going to and getting in or out of vehicle. This is when u are most vulnerable imo. Live in condition yellow. If u want to be really safe do what Clint smith suggests look under your car, trunk, back seat before u get in (thats too much for me but I do try to be super aware of my surroundings and almost never park next to vans with no windows).

3) as others said above lock car and start it immediately upon entering. We had a lady about a month and a half ago who dropped their kid off at school. She was driving a rental car. After she stopped a man opened the trunk and started looking for things to steal. This was when the car was running and driver was in driver seat. Crims are brave now because they know nothing will happen if they get caught.

4). Do exactly what u are suggesting here, have a plan for each anticipated situation (Fe mob, attacked when getting in, attacked at a stoplight by someone running from a crime scene, a shooter who is trying to get a getaway car etc). To me the key is identifying the threat early and taking preventative action. And as always don't let your pride or ego or emotion rule your actions. Set that stuff aside and make wise decisions not emotional decisions.

5) be able to put a firearm into action quickly if needed. Also I suggest having pepper spray available also because in some situations such as crazy homeless person might get you out of there with a minimum of consequences/liability to you. We carry a small Pom spray on our person and have a big bear spray in the car (fwiw).

Edit: I should mention the above is from perspective of living in a near-lawless city like Portland etc but may be overkill in rural areas -although some things still apply such as having your radar constantly searching the horizon for threats (Col. Jeff Cooper's words).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top