JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
More specifically, this is geared towards those with a significant other and/or children in the home. Obviously, there are a tremendous number of variables here as no two homes are the same nor are any two families. Just curious to hear what plan others have in place.

So, you're awakened to the real possibility someone has made their way into your home or are very close to doing so. Now what?

Does your significant other stay put and call the police? Do they, also armed, follow you as you begin to clear the house? Do they try to make their way to the kids if possible?

What have you taught your kids to do assuming they're old enough to understand? What's your plan if you still have infants?

We moved a couple years ago and as great as the new house is, the bedroom layout is not something I'm a huge fan of. Once we're all in bed my wife and I are at the opposite end of the house from the kids. Plus we're upstairs and they're down. There is a plan here that I give refresher courses on at least once a month, but I'm interested to hear what you all are doing that maybe I haven't considered or would work better in the new place.

Back when I had a live-in GF with a kid, the plan was: Call the cops, hold up in master bedroom. If perp comes through that door they get ventilated.

Now it's just the spousal unit and I with dogs. Anyone else in the house gets special attention.

Anyone else in the house gets special attention.
200.gif

More specifically, this is geared towards those with a significant other and/or children in the home. Obviously, there are a tremendous number of variables here as no two homes are the same nor are any two families. Just curious to hear what plan others have in place.

So, you're awakened to the real possibility someone has made their way into your home or are very close to doing so. Now what?

Does your significant other stay put and call the police? Do they, also armed, follow you as you begin to clear the house? Do they try to make their way to the kids if possible?

What have you taught your kids to do assuming they're old enough to understand? What's your plan if you still have infants?

We moved a couple years ago and as great as the new house is, the bedroom layout is not something I'm a huge fan of. Once we're all in bed my wife and I are at the opposite end of the house from the kids. Plus we're upstairs and they're down. There is a plan here that I give refresher courses on at least once a month, but I'm interested to hear what you all are doing that maybe I haven't considered or would work better in the new place.
Home invasion action plan should not start at "someone has broken in" imo. It should start at identifying the threat at the perimeter and how to deal with that (first line of defense). Also having everything you need in the most advantageous position of the house and it needs to live there (don't move those things around) because you need to operate in the dark where you can see everything outside and they can see nothing inside. So you don't want to go fumbling around for phone, gun, flashlight, night vision, whatever. Don't rely on your senses (which don't really work when your asleep) or even your dogs senses to alert you to the threat. Use cameras that alert your phone instantly as soon as someone is on the property, giving you plenty of time to respond appropriately.

Next how to slow them down from getting entry (second line of defense), Fe hardening. Stopping the threat at the first line or even the second can be as simple as shining a flashlight or using your voice (I've done both). You have such an incredibly high advantage over your opponent at both first and second line of defense.

If they get inside that means your plan sucks or your execution sucks or both but there does need to be a plan for that also of course. Here you are more even with your opponent compared to the first and second line of defense and you never want that if possible.

66BD7473-2F16-4195-9892-80484E70F064.jpeg

Last Edited:
Getting to my house involves two gates a pasture. the dogs, and then the house. There are very few that visit without calling first. We have never had anyone show up without us knowing they are outside. DR

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads