JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Re phone imo it's only good for documentation. Documenting the situation (eg video) or for police report (ie calling 911, which is just documenting the situation around here). 911 or calling someone to bail you out will do nothing in the seconds of the altercation. In PDx it can literally be 1.5 hours before cops arrive. Fe one stabbing I called 911, paramedics showed up after 45 min, no cops at all.

Edc should always be with you but does not have the advantages listed in post #112 above. For example someone approaches your vehicle with a handgun, multiple perps roll up ina car (common in Pdx), a distraction technique by three thugs to steal your car (also common), mob situation, etc etc . If you have a truck gun you have an advantage in those situations over just your edc. Hopefully it will also give you an advantage over the perp(s) vs edc is more likely to get you evenly matched against the perp (see quote below). 1986 dade shooting may give an example, 2 perps with rifles vs lots of cops who mainly had edcs. Also barrier penetration (ie perps car) or chance of perps having armor may be factors. Chance of a mass shooter situation a truck gun woudl also be an advantage over edc (if you happen to be in or near your vehicle).

But of course your best tool may well be the vehicle. Could be a weapon or means of escape. But since you never know when or how the attack occurs I wouldn't count on it. You could be boxed in (Fe in traffic perps stop in front of you and get out, car right behind you). All imo and Pdx experience which includes witnessing 3 car jackings, 2 stabbings, 1 attack on me, etc.
View attachment 1856344
Cell is to call someone to pick you up. Preventing a possible dangerous walk. EDC is your best bet to survive being someplace maybe you shouldn't have been. I get it. I was ambushed once while delivering pizzas years ago. Two guys literally jumped out of a bush and tried to rob me. The only guns I had were my teenage noodle arms, but you work with what you got.

Cell is to call someone to pick you up. Preventing a possible dangerous walk. EDC is your best bet to survive being someplace maybe you shouldn't have been. I get it. I was ambushed once while delivering pizzas years ago. Two guys literally jumped out of a bush and tried to rob me. The only guns I had were my teenage noodle arms, but you work with what you got.
Shoulda split the 'za with 'em.

Noodles make you fat.

What is the purpose of a truck gun?

I sometimes have to drive in States where I don't have a permit to carry. What if something serious happens, like a power grid failure, and I'm 60 miles from home? The trunk gun becomes my "get home gun". . .

If I'm away from home and staying a night or two in a motel, I can take my trunk gun into the hotel room with me, load it up, and have it handy. . . Just in case. Doing just that save us around 30 years ago in Wendover Utah, when 3 A*holes tried to kick in our motel room door. They saw I was armed and departed very quickly. . .

Not taking any chances

tru.JPG

I sometimes have to drive in States where I don't have a permit to carry. What if something serious happens, like a power grid failure, and I'm 60 miles from home? The trunk gun becomes my "get home gun". . .

If I'm away from home and staying a night or two in a motel, I can take my trunk gun into the hotel room with me, load it up, and have it handy. . . Just in case. Doing just that save us around 30 years ago in Wendover Utah, when 3 A*holes tried to kick in our motel room door. They saw I was armed and departed very quickly. . .
They saw you were armed before they kicked in the door? Super criminals out there.

No, I went to the window to see what was going on and they saw I was holding a Glock 19.
When I hear "truck gun" I think of a gun that is left in a vehicle…. Normally some form of rifle/AR "pistol." Not a pistol that is taken with someone on a road trip for self protection (that's just being smart). I take a gun everywhere I go. Which voids MY need for a "truck gun."

Normally it's individuals who have some concept of "fighting" with their pistol back to their truck to get higher firepower. So they can get into the fight or "save the day" in an active shooter event. It gets instagram like though. So there's that….

Last Edited:
When I hear "truck gun" I think of a gun that is left in a vehicle…. Normally some form of rifle/AR "pistol." Not a pistol that is taken with someone on a road trip for self protection (that's just being smart). I take a gun everywhere I go. Which voids MY need for a "truck gun."

Normally it's individuals who have some concept of "fighting" with their pistol back to their truck to get higher firepower. So they can get into the fight or "save the day" in an active shooter event. It gets instagram like though. So there's that….
Well so far no one here who has a truck gun has indicated they do so because of the scenario you described in your second paragraph.

There have been quite a few members who have given solid reasoning as to why they have a truck gun. Perhaps you are overthinking it?

For what its worth, I don't keep any guns in my family van, especially since I have a 3-going on 4 year old, and an 18 month old. what's in the van however.. are vehicle emergency stuff, tools, stroller.

If I'm going shooting, I bring the guns with me.
Edit my father used to bring his .40SW SW40VE in a Galco holster, placed under his seat when going to sketchy places and on long trips.

Back when I was a kid truck gun meant....
A rifle or shotgun kept there for a quick impromptu hunt , like after school or work.
I still think of that term in this way.
If I were to keep a truck gun...I'd keep a shotgun or a .22 rifle for this reason.

With that said...
I understand that the term "truck gun" has taken on a new meaning for many folks.
Things being as they are nowadays...and many folks here at NWFA are far more "defensive minded" than I am.

In any event..for me...
If I were to keep a truck gun for defensive use....It would be some sort of shotgun .
Said shotgun would do double duty as a hunting gun.
Also a mixture of shotgun loads...Buck shot , Slugs...Birdshot / Small game loads.

And as mentioned above many times....
Keeping the truck gun safe and secure , yet accessible .... is of extreme importance.
I haven't found a way that meets all three for me and my truck...so I don't have a truck gun.
Andy

Well so far no one here who has a truck gun has indicated they do so because of the scenario you described in your second paragraph.

There have been quite a few members who have given solid reasoning as to why they have a truck gun. Perhaps you are overthinking it?
Maybe you're right and I have the incorrect idea/image of the "truck gun" being discussed here.

Exactly right Andy. I had a '65 Chevy Pickup that someone before me had taken out the behind the seat gas tank and put a easy rider rifle rack in it's place. My H&R single shot 12 ga, Remington 22 rifle and Trout fishing pole lived back there. Back then out of sight, out of mind was good enough. The bench seat had a saddle blanket cover on it with the pouches across the front chock a block full of ammo, maps and who knows what all.

I've thought about keeping a long gun in my travel trailer, but not really in my truck. If you're concerned your little peeshooter is too small, carry a bigger one.

With regards to vehicle guns, at least in Oregon; (WA is different) https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_166.250

"(a)Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(b)If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B)The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

(c)If the vehicle is a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle or a snowmobile, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)The handgun is in a locked container within or affixed to the vehicle; or

(B)The handgun is equipped with a trigger lock or other locking mechanism that prevents the discharge of the firearm.
"

It does seem that Oregon police/lawyers/DAs don't have anything to charge a person with, for having a rifle in the vehicle... but counties and cities do have ability to prohibit the open carry of loaded firearms by persons not licensed to conceal carry handguns..

except I think that Oregon court case here
Has pretty much declard that your vehicle is a "public place" on the public streets :rolleyes: sure wish they'd do the same and bust all the derelict RVs/campers on public streets for violating ordinances related to public spaces :rolleyes:

With regards to vehicle guns, at least in Oregon; (WA is different) https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_166.250
Since I can be in one of a couple different States, my Truck/Trunk gun is a small semi-auto pistol with 10 round or less magazines. The gun and mags are unloaded, and locked in a box.

If I'm in my home State or one that allows me to carry, I'll have a CCW gun with me.

I live just a few miles from the Oregon/Washington border, so we travel down to Oregon a lot. I'm not legal to carry there. Oregon has earthquakes, volcanos, ANTIFA/BLM idiots, and a zillion homeless wack-jobs. If something major happened, it's good to know that I have a gun in the trunk, with the get-home bag.

Since I can be in one of a couple different States, my Truck/Trunk gun is a small semi-auto pistol with 10 round or less magazines. The gun and mags are unloaded, and locked in a box.

If I'm in my home State or one that allows me to carry, I'll have a CCW gun with me.

I live just a few miles from the Oregon/Washington border, so we travel down to Oregon a lot. I'm not legal to carry there. Oregon has earthquakes, volcanos, ANTIFA/BLM idiots, and a zillion homeless wack-jobs. If something major happened, it's good to know that I have a gun in the trunk, with the get-home bag.
Oregon permits are fairly simple to get. Some steps to Go Through, classes, certificates, application, but pretty simple process.

I have my Or and Wa. Didn't really need anywhere else, but would have taken Ca if it was possible.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top