JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
so, When I do the background check my name isn't attached to the serial #?
(edit)
A quick search told me no..... I guess I always assumed it was registration. Ya learn something new every day. This time, it was something useful.
THANKS!

Yes & no.

The ATF would have to pull the 4473's following a crime/investigating a crime.

Which is moot, as in Oregon spouses can transfer directly without 4473. Provisio being both age & non prohibited person.

There is no direct searchable database with serial #'s attached to individuals.

In WA there is no need to do a formal FFL transfer between spouses or family members, so long as they are legally eligible to own a firearm.
Old but and about money still true nowdays about guns, what's yours, is hers and what is hers is hers.
This is true - I've had to buy many a new gun because my wife took a shine to the one I already had.

1693706935895.png

Aloha, Mark

PS......

1693707128784.png

both the OSP and the FFL keeps a database.
Not really a registry, persay.

When I think of registry, to me it sounds like on TV shows where an officer calls in a serial number & gets a response "...yah that handgun is registered to whoever".

Not how it works in Oregon. AFAIK. Haven't directly had interaction with LE where such would come up. Have had minimal direct interaction with LE overall in life, just traffic stops & a few call ins regarding suspicious persons, psych/safety (likely drugs) call ins.

So even if an investigation would not involve the ATF doing a trace following a defensive gun use, AND the firearm in question was initially sold to a spouse. I'd figure their attorney would respond accordingly & all legalese something along the lines of "doesn't matter "- just more legalese like.

Who would do the trace? Local PD, Sheriff, OSP? Dunno. Wouldn't matter in OP's question regardless.

-As of this writing anyways...

Not really a registry, persay.

When I think of registry, to me it sounds like on TV shows where an officer calls in a serial number & gets a response "...yah that handgun is registered to whoever".
A database is a registry.
Buy a gun thru an FFL, leave the gun on the street or give it to a criminal and soon enough you will get a knock on the door. Thats not possible without a registry...

A database is a registry.
Buy a gun thru an FFL, leave the gun on the street or give it to a criminal and soon enough you will get a knock on the door. Thats not possible without a registry...
True, & absolutely shouldn't be. But is. Should actually be illegal, thought it was. However still is.

My thoughts on OP's question were in regards to some States where there is an actual defined registry. Approval/Permission slip/permit required to purchase X firearm with Y serial # kind of thing.

Don't know if Oregon's stayed permit to purchase law goes that far or not, however I believe other states systems currently do. Defined serial #'s to specific individuals. Registry.

In oregon you can give your wife a gun without a 4473, so if there was a need to provide details of ownership, you could say you gave it to her.

True, & absolutely shouldn't be. But is. Should actually be illegal, thought it was. However still is.

My thoughts on OP's question were in regards to some States where there is an actual defined registry. Approval/Permission slip/permit required to purchase X firearm with Y serial # kind of thing.

Don't know if Oregon's stayed permit to purchase law goes that far or not, however I believe other states systems currently do. Defined serial #'s to specific individuals. Registry.
Its how it works in every state, the "no registry" thing is a huge feel good deception for gun rights, it may take longer to trace a gun in some cases but so what, the last person who purchased it thru a dealer will get the knock on the door.

As far as the subject, In Oregon, a person can carry, borrow, use at will any gun still owned by an immediate family member. (I cant recall if they have to abide in the same house... IIRC no, but Id look that up first. )

As far as I know the new [stayed] permit to purchase doesn't change anything regarding transferring or possession of guns. The new purchase permit doesn't track the purchase, just authorizes it. Whats interesting is on its own the purchase permit is yet another registry, not of the gun, but of the person goes into that registry of approved gun buyers (which is public).

A chain of custody search is what we have now, Munufacturer> Wholesaler> dealer> you. Registration is different though I will agree it does feel the same. As in "they" know you've (me) got that gun(s).

A chain of custody search is what we have now, Munufacturer> Wholesaler> dealer> you. Registration is different though I will agree it does feel the same. As in "they" know you've (me) got that gun(s).
All they did was break the registration list up into separate components, is still a registry. It sure does "feel" good to "believe" its not a registry, yet every gun owner knows they are liable for transferring a registered gun under the table.
Just another anit gun deception lie, its a registry and they pulled that one over on us and we approved.

RE: Registry. I sold an LCP to a woman at/through Ticklicker in Salem a few years ago. It was seized from her boyfriend who was prohibited from owning. OSP contacted me here is Montana to find out how he got it. So, yes....OSP keeps a data base. They dug a little harder and confirmed the transfer through Ticklicker. And....the OSP woman was fairly brusque with me.... for a minute....

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews