JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow!! I am so glad that everything turned out the way it did and that you are safe with no body parts stinking up your kitchen!

I think this is a reminder to all of us to check and double check your home and plan if something is to go the wrong direction. So thanks for the reminder.

When the rush settles might I recommend you devise a viable game plan in the unlikely event someone invades your home again!

YOU were extremely fortunate to experience this incident without sustaining any personal injury or anybody else being injured.

YOU were extremely fortunate there was only one and not multiple intruders!

I hope you will examine the security of your home, garage, etc., and affect appropriate repairs which includes installing appropriate security devices to preclude future intrusions.

I hope your game plan includes a telephone in your bedroom as well as a realization to remain in that room and not toddle in skives with or without a baseball bat or firearm, thus eliminating the situation where you just walked into the living room and startled not one but three intruders who might be better armed or not! Now you have a serious life threatening personal self defense problem! Shootouts never end as one imagines.

Bravado is nice, but nicely imagined scenario(s) of 'what if' can turn around instantly where you are seriously in over your head.

You left a personal position of safety and walked into an unknown area occupied by an individual (this time just one) of unknown mental capacity, strength, capability, and finally unknown armament!

Yippee, your new plan brings a gun to your leaving your room...see above about numbers of intruders and their capabilities as you stand there in skivies, at best!

Oh good the nice LE smile at your expressed bravado with your sidearm on, but are you, after startling an intruder going to shoot, possibly mortally, someone while they are wrestling with your tv? Are you ready to clean up the aftermath mess, both physical or judicial? Are you financially capable to sustain $$$$$ legal fees as well as dealing with the perbs relatives or bros harassing you, or the newspeek wanting to bring the latest of this tragedy to their viewers?

Do your research and devise a plan to keep you and yours out of harms way during a home intrusion or worse an invasion!

But i hope your plan assures you do not leave your position of safety!

Glad it turned out alright, this time!

For some reason the only time I thought I might need my EDC gun was on the extremely rare occasion that I left it at home because I was going to a couple gun free zones.

RVTECH great job! Sounds like you did everything by the book and things worked out. I live in town and worry about these things happening here. I secure the heck out of my place, but tweakers have an amazing knack for getting into houses. I have two kids and worry about your scenario happening to us and one of the kids accidentally confronting someone in the house. My wife and I sleep with out bedroom door open to this day incase we hear something odd at night. We have planned and trained for such an event. I pity anyone breaking in with my wife home! She is far more vicious than I am.

When the rush settles might I recommend you devise a viable game plan in the unlikely event someone invades your home again!

YOU were extremely fortunate to experience this incident without sustaining any personal injury or anybody else being injured.

YOU were extremely fortunate there was only one and not multiple intruders!

I hope you will examine the security of your home, garage, etc., and affect appropriate repairs which includes installing appropriate security devices to preclude future intrusions.

I hope your game plan includes a telephone in your bedroom as well as a realization to remain in that room and not toddle in skives with or without a baseball bat or firearm, thus eliminating the situation where you just walked into the living room and startled not one but three intruders who might be better armed or not! Now you have a serious life threatening personal self defense problem! Shootouts never end as one imagines.

Bravado is nice, but nicely imagined scenario(s) of 'what if' can turn around instantly where you are seriously in over your head.

You left a personal position of safety and walked into an unknown area occupied by an individual (this time just one) of unknown mental capacity, strength, capability, and finally unknown armament!

Yippee, your new plan brings a gun to your leaving your room...see above about numbers of intruders and their capabilities as you stand there in skivies, at best!

Oh good the nice LE smile at your expressed bravado with your sidearm on, but are you, after startling an intruder going to shoot, possibly mortally, someone while they are wrestling with your tv? Are you ready to clean up the aftermath mess, both physical or judicial? Are you financially capable to sustain $$$$$ legal fees as well as dealing with the perbs relatives or bros harassing you, or the newspeek wanting to bring the latest of this tragedy to their viewers?

Do your research and devise a plan to keep you and yours out of harms way during a home intrusion or worse an invasion!

But i hope your plan assures you do not leave your position of safety!

Glad it turned out alright, this time!
Hundreds of hours of tactical training have taught me that hunkering down in a "safe" spot will generally get you killed by a well armed and determined set of opponents. Your house is a known environment for you, even in the dark. Not so for an intruder. You have the advantage in the dark. My bedroom is a cul-de-sac with no immediate exit other than windows. My kids are also asleep in the house and need to be protected. My weapons are totally secure, but accessible within 5 seconds from a dead sleep. I'm going to arm my wife and myself and leave her to call 911 while I go make sure my kids are defended, in my skivvies or buck naked. I have to assume that an armed intruder intends to harm someone. I carry legal insurance for just such an eventuality. This is not bravado. It is simply reality.

Hundreds of hours of tactical training have taught me that hunkering down in a "safe" spot will generally get you killed by a well armed and determined set of opponents. Your house is a known environment for you, even in the dark. Not so for an intruder. You have the advantage in the dark. My bedroom is a cul-de-sac with no immediate exit other than windows. My kids are also asleep in the house and need to be protected. My weapons are totally secure, but accessible within 5 seconds from a dead sleep. I'm going to arm my wife and myself and leave her to call 911 while I go make sure my kids are defended, in my skivvies or buck naked. I have to assume that an armed intruder intends to harm someone. I carry legal insurance for just such an eventuality. This is not bravado. It is simply reality.

Spot on;):cool:.

Wife hunkers with a 12ga and 1911 while I clear the house.

No one can get to our kid without going past mama bear.

Kid knows hit the deck means roll off her bed and stay flat on the floor to help avoid an accidental over penetration.

Wife's got a nice nook on my side to post up in with an oak bedframe between her and the door.

You gotta practice this stuff just like you should have plans for a fire.

What one does in situations like this depends.

It can mean going and clearing your house , room to room , or it may mean hiding and securing the spot where you are at....Or any number of combinations of the two...

A good plan allows for flexibility and your ability to react , to just how the circumstances are then , in the moment , which may not be as you planned.

You need to find what works for you , which may be what someone else does or not , as the case may be.

It is not however up to me to judge your plan for your situation.
You know your house , yourself and what you are willing to do , the best.
Andy

What one does in situations like this depends.

It can mean going and clearing your house , room to room , or it may mean hiding and securing the spot where you are at....Or any number of combinations of the two...

A good plan allows for flexibility and your ability to react , to just how the circumstances are then , in the moment , which may not be as you planned.

You need to find what works for you , which may be what someone else does or not , as the case may be.

It is not however up to me to judge your plan for your situation.
You know your house , yourself and what you are willing to do , the best.
Andy

Nice;). Well said:cool:

:s0101:

Ah, nice to see you met the first criteria of my post-you devised a game plan!

"Hundreds of hours...tact-cool training" outstanding, bet that help tune your plan, eh?

JQPublic does not have the drive nor the time nor the $$$ to spend hundreds of hours facilitating tact-cool training as there are members out on this forum who profess to carry their firearm(s) daily etc., yet do not have the inclination nor the time to practice with their personal defense firearm whatsoever!

Where in your hundreds of hours tact-cool training did it tell you to leave a know safe zone and do a search and confront maneuver on unknowns with unknown armament?

If this training did advocate that posture for ordinary citizens to take, then I would worry cuz normal citizens that falls under, as one member espouses, "not in my job description!"

I am not a LE whose job description and training facilitate seek and arrest efforts! As such, my plan, thought out through reasoning and research, yet doesn't have your extensive tact-cool training, says stay put in my safe area!

Therefore, until my plan fails me, it will suffice, but your mileage may vary with execution of yours, insurance not withstanding!

Where in your hundreds of hours tact-cool training did it tell you to leave a know safe zone and do a search and confront maneuver on unknowns with unknown armament?
My "training" was not sitting in a classroom listening to war stories. It was practical, real life experience in the woods, in buildings, in village scenarios, and other situations. For 5 years I was a member of a professional paintball team. I shot 5000 rounds per week at real opponents in these scenarios. This was team on team, and individual against individual. There were no scripts and no setups. There was nobody I didn't beat consistently in a one-on-one. The sheriff and local police used our field and our facilities, and equipment like ours (semi-auto AR style weapons) for training. We beat them consistently whenever we faced off. There's no better training scenario. Law enforcement and military around the world use this style of training. This is not textbook learning. This is learning what works, in the moment, with adrenaline flowing, against real, human opponents.

Two things immediately become obvious. 1. If your opponent knows where you are and you don't move you will be dead. 2. You MUST know where your opponents are, how many, and where their attention is directed. Otherwise you will be flanked, surprised, and eliminated.

My overall plan is fairly simple - me, armed, between any bad guy(s) and my wife and daughter. If I go down, my wife, also armed, is between the bad guy(s) and our daughter. That may mean I'm in a room, with them locked (armed) in a room inside that room - on the phone with 911. I may defend in place or may leave the room - until I know the nature of what's going on, it's really hard to say. I'm okay waiting until the police get there - but I will be prepared to act if necessary. Hopefully it's never needed.

It breaks down very simple for me! I will do everything and anything to make sure my loved ones walk away from such a thing. I am very familiar with my house, shop and property. close quarter combat drills were some of my favorite in the Army.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top