JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a friend who probably needs a better hearing aide. His work requires using his cell phone and computer for zoom calls. In passing in another thread @rjmt mentioned that a friend's hearing had been much improved when he got a hearing aide that attached to a box that could receive direct sound inputs from TV. Presumably also from cell phones and computers. This friend was a vet and got his new hearing aide from the VA. But presumably there are such systems available for civilians too.

Does anyone have any experience with such hearing aides?

What are the best hearing aides available for standard use such as in person conversations?

What are the best hearing aides for use with audio input such as from cell phones, computers, or TVs?

I think this conversation should happen with your friend's audiologist to get the most up to date info but I will tell you what I use. I've got phonak audeo hearing aides and they use Bluetooth technology. I stream and call with them all the time.ive had them about a year now and selected them because my audiologist told me they were the best. They cost around six grand with visits for fine tuning, so be warned.

I think this conversation should happen with your friend's audiologist to get the most up to date info but I will tell you what I use. I've got phonak audeo hearing aides and they use Bluetooth technology. I stream and call with them all the time.ive had them about a year now and selected them because my audiologist told me they were the best. They cost around six grand with visits for fine tuning, so be warned.
getting old can be expensive with needing new eyes and new ears
luckily my hearing is still good, I can hear my neighbor open a can of Coors Light from 100 yrds away
but it is quiet out here
not so happy with my new eyes, will probably upgrade
I can shoot iron sights with these new eyes, but can't see up close
can't see the adjustments on cameras, cell phone or even rifle scopes without reading glasses

Most of the top brands are cell phone compatible. They take a signal direct from your cell without any background noise. They connect directly to your computer just like wearing ear buds.
If you are completely deaf in one ear, they alter the signal that should be heard in that ear and rebroadcast it into the other ear. this allows your brain to get clues to what direction the sound came from.
The Smart phone aides are not perfect but are miles ahead of the old styles. Good Luck to your friend! DR

Mine are fully Blue Tooth and can do all the tasks your asking about! I wear the Jabra brand inner canal type that you have to recharge every night, so far battery life is quite good. I had a set of the behind the ear models and absolutely HATED them, that was a nearly $2000 mistake, Several folks I talked with told me to ether go to Costco, or a good audiologist and get properly fitted!

Bluetooth hearing aids.....talk about voices in your head! :D
Kinda freaky at first, but you get used to it! :s0155:

Actually, The sound quality is really good, almost like a good pair of ear phones, and mine have a Db limit, so really loud stuff gets blocked, and it IS adjustable, So I can rock out in the truck and not miss anything!

. . . . If you are completely deaf in one ear, they alter the signal that should be heard in that ear and rebroadcast it into the other ear. this allows your brain to get clues to what direction the sound came from. . . . DR
Thanks, that bit of info is astounding to me. Amazing what our wet-state CPU can do.

Following minor surgery to the outer canal of my left ear last May, my 'world of sound' had very little 'left side' for about six months. Very disorienting. But I wasn't completely deaf, so I bought a $32 behind-the-ear hearing amplifier off ebay. That cheap amp really did help me discern sound direction, so it greatly reduced my spacial disorientation.

Downside: Since an el-cheapo hearing amp does nothing at all to improve clarity, I could actually understand conversation and television sound better without it. A few compromised months passed like that, then suddenly (overnight) my left ear gave me back my pre-surgery level of hearing.

I don't believe in miracles, so apparently my left ear just decided, "F' this sheise". My ENT doc says that it's not at all unusual for post-surgery impaired hearing to last for months.
I like my story better.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews