JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah but the only way to know whether a thread matters is if justcuz chimes in to let you know you're doing it wrong.
Good thing the OP didn't say he grabbed a Glock:rolleyes:
The thread would have been covered in troll bogies.

4F881094-53CC-4107-9861-AB4FB1DE0955.gif

Last Edited:
So glad this turned out well for you and glad they got the guy. Maybe this time they'll leave him in prison where he obviously belongs.

Reading your story is making me just go over my plans in my head in the event it would happen to me. I've been startled by noises in and outside of our house before and I've made it a habit to grab the gun in my bedside quick access safe every time. I also keep my cell phone with me at all times too. The one thing I need to review though is with my wife and daughter and what to do in such a situation. Anyway, things like this are good reminders to review any plans.

Wow !
Glad you are OK, RV.
Also glad you didn't have to ventilate him, make a mess in your kitchen and go through all the legal wrangling.
(even though it would have been better for the community)

:s0155:

At exactly 9:00 PM I heard an odd noise that startled me out of a half-sleep. I did not know if I was dreaming or what but I got up (gun not in hand yet) to discover a GUY STANDING IN MY KITCHEN babbling something! I turned back into my bedroom and grabbed my CZ and flashlight and returned and he had gone out the back door. I threw on some sweats, cleared the house and called 911. They said deputies are on the way and asked I stay on the front porch and secure my weapon. The first showed up and drove past and I shined my light at him and he backed up. Two others rolled up and one walked up my driveway and about that time I heard yelling and it was the others yelling at someone to stop and one drew down on the guy over my fence toward the neighbors yard. I had already texted my neighbor but he already saw the lights and heard the commotion. Two LEOs were on top of the guy and he was out of his mind. They knew who he was and he had just got out of jail and was on parole. He now has burglary 1 and trespassing facing him. The LEOs were very professional and had no problem with me carrying my gun. They told me I handled the situation well and and I told them if he had still been in my kitchen when I returned with my gun this would probably have turned out very different. They told me I was on 'good grounds' if it had - as a known criminal who had broken in my house. After he was in the back of the LEO pickup they told me to go look at him an make a positive ID - it was him as I described him very close including the color of the shirt he had on. He was so out of his mind he looked like a caged animal and was chewing on the expanded metal cage in the back. Crazy night and what an adrenaline rush - I doubt I'll sleep tonight.

Gives me things to ponder.....I'll grab a shower, or be in the garage and not worry about having the front door unlocked or the slider to the deck/back yard unlocked. I don't keep the side arm out when I'm home, but I can access it in 5-10 seconds or so depending on where I am in our small single level home. My worry about keeping a gun at close hand is forgetting to secure it if I leave the house.

Any way, glad the intruder didn't seem to be bent on harming anyone. It could have been worse. I think it's probably a good thing you weren't forced to shoot the guy. There's good chance he was just some total loser that got out of jail, got himself all doped up and had no idea what the hell he was doing. Shooting him may have helped society but couldn't have done much good for you.

first of all glad everyone is ok
This Has not happened to us yet ,Our German Shepherd Dog has been able to shy away any insane dumb azz from attempting to do this .
we sleep very well at night with him doing his job ,

I also carry when at home FBI stats say your more likely to encounter a dumb Sh!t at home than in public, Because this is your comfort zone

Glad it turned out OK! No innocents injured, & that you did not have to defend yourself with lethal force/fear of your life.

And bad guy caught!

Honestly, couldn't ask for a better outcome, obviously aside from it not happening.

Serves as a reminder to all of us, that the evil folks are everywhere. Do what you can to mitigate the risk, and be prepared to defend your and your loved ones lives.

It'd be interesting for you to follow what exactly happens to this guy, this time.

Glad everything turned out well.

I think I read Meth use has overtaken opiate abuse last year in Oregon. The old familiar bogeyman from the 90's and early 2000's is back.

My worry about keeping a gun at close hand is forgetting to secure it if I leave the house.

I unlock the long gun safe in my bedroom when I get home to be able to access my shotgun (or give my wife that option) and lock it just before I leave. I put my keys to the car next to it so I have to be next to it before I leave to help me remember.

That's helped me never forget, so far, and I'm a forgetful guy;).

The pistol I leave on the TV stand either goes with me or goes back in the safe before I lock it. The TV is in the middle of the house so it's closer to the front door when I get an unexpected knock.

Glad the situation ended without injury to you or your family. Sounds like you handled it. The dog is a good idea, but my dog would prolly roll over on his back and try to get the intruder to run his belly. Lol. Good job my friend. But next time carry the pistol. A naked man with a gun is scary too!

Wow, happy to hear it all worked out in your favor RV without needing a defense attorney. Amazes me how these repeat offenders are slapped on the wrist and turned back out in the street to continue their life of crime.

What's most important, you handled the situation responsibly, nut job in custody, at least for the time being. I'm sure you'll follow through with the appropriate charges...

Just one note season why I carry even at home. And a lesson to all of us to rethink our responses to things that go bump in the night...

he was chewing on the patrol cars metal cage. sounds like bath salts.... or severe anemia.

Iron deficiency in diet?

I'm glad to hear you are ok! I'm thinking about my house and what I would have done as well. We have installed a security door on the front, but the back door is your standard glass patio door that isn't really secure when someone can just throw a patio chair through it. How do you secure that? I spend most of my time in my office which has a conveniently located berretta, but if I was sitting downstairs watching TV I would be hosed as I don't carry around the house. Something to consider I guess.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top