JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too bad you can't provide a reference. Having spent 15 years working on vector borne disease, either in public health programs or medical research, I thought your statement that there were over 100 deaths each year in Florida due to mosquito transmitted diseases sounded unbelievably high, which is why I asked you to provide your source. Either your memory is faulty or your source was all wet.

In the US the principal mosquito borne viruses are Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EE), St. Louis Encepahalitis (SLE), Western Equine Encephalitis (WEE), LaCrosse Encephalitis (LAC), and West Nile Virus (WNV).

Nationwide, approximate figures for these diseases are as follows: there are about 10 cases of EE annually with an average of 3 deaths. The number of SLE cases varies widely from year to year but averages 135 cases. With an approximate fatality rate of 10% that would be about 13 deaths/year nationwide. WEE is very rare with fewer than 16 cases/year over the last 60 years. There are about 90 cases/year of LAC with only infrequent fatalities in children under 16. WNV is most common with 232 deaths in 39 states in 2002.

So, you see it is mathematically impossible for mosquitoes to be responsible for over 100 human deaths each year in FL alone.

I'm not saying they are not. I am just questioning the assertion that mosquito borne diseases cause over 100 human deaths each year in FL.

illnesses-from-rare-mosquito-borne-disease-are-up-officials-say-28674182

Re your "Either your memory was faulty or your source was all wet"--
Or both.
Sounds like you know a lot more about this subject than either I or my sources.
Cheers,
Carol

Bear with me on this.... :rolleyes:

Bear menu.jpg

Re your "Either your memory was faulty or your source was all wet"--
Or both.
Sounds like you know a lot more about this subject than either I or my sources.
Cheers,
Carol
I was able to find some FL specific data in the report from the FL Dept of Health below. There are 3 reportable mosquito borne diseases in the state, malaria, dengue fever, and West Nile. In 2018 (most recent data available) there were 87 cases of Dengue. Only 1 was acquired in FL. The rest were due to foreign travel, primarily to Cuba. There were no deaths due to Dengue between 2014 and 2018.

There were 58 cases of malaria, 57 acquired overseas and 1 locally through a bone marrow transplant, There were no fatal cases in 2018.

2018 was an outbreak year for WNV. There were 39 cases and 4 deaths.

I am not trying to minimize the importance of these diseases. The main reason we have so few cases is because of public health programs. Something to consider is the possibility of the reintroduction of yellow fever to the US because of the large number of migrants coming across the southern border without health screening. YF is still endemic in S. America and the vector, Aedes aegypti, is common in the southern US.

Ive walked right up on black bear in the woods , and they ran crashing through the brush to avoid me , maybe the big guy was rabid
The little bears are "normally" afraid of humans. A lot of people who are not hunting them will run across one of these bears and see the thing run away. They are still very unpredictable critters. This is FAR from being the first time one of these critters killed a human. Often when one does attack and is of course killed, they find no reason for it to do what it did. The big cats are normally VERY afraid of humans too. They can be very hard to even find in the wild. Now and then one has been known to go after a human. Again often after the cat is killed they find nothing wrong with it.

"If you dress like a flower you are likely to be treated like a flower."

Yep. I was working about 100 feet up on a crane once, when a honeybee spent some time investigating my yellow hard hat. I didn't know they flew that high.

I think being killed by a bear is one of the worst ways to die. They'll eat you while you're still alive.

Last Edited:
I set my tent up in the Bob Marshall wilderness last weekend on top of fresh scat and next to berry bushes (it was dark, I was tired). I should've been next to a water source for ultimate riskiness.

Bear attacks are still incredibly rare, and bear spray is still the best option.

Last Edited:
Most who have not lived around there don't really know what that area looks like. I lived in AZ for a long time and a LOT of people who had not used to think when you said AZ you lived in or around the Sonoran Desert. Many had no idea a lot of the state looks a lot like parts of W WA. Even have great snow to ski and such in large parts.
Knowing the area this happened was made me think no way in hell would I have been there and not have had protection from exactly what happened to this guy. The attacks are very rare but the animals have been there for a LONG time and people want to live amongst them.
yes but the sanora deaert actually has bears or did at one time, even grizzlys

not all desert though
A LOT of the state is not but, many who have never lived there think of desert when they hear AZ. The place this attack happened is not even close to desert yet look how many want to talk about the desert that has zero to do with what happened. Does not matter if the larger Browns lived in the state before my time, it was not one of them that killed this poor guy. He was in an area of the state that is very pretty but, is home to the little Bears. Bears who normally will avoid humans. Those little skittish Bears can and do kill people though. Seems people still want to drag this all over the place for some reason I don't get. Bottom line when I lived there I did not go unarmed for just this reason. There was always a chance of running into one of these critters who decide I looked like a meal.

A LOT of the state is not but, many who have never lived there think of desert when they hear AZ. The place this attack happened is not even close to desert yet look how many want to talk about the desert that has zero to do with what happened. Does not matter if the larger Browns lived in the state before my time, it was not one of them that killed this poor guy. He was in an area of the state that is very pretty but, is home to the little Bears. Bears who normally will avoid humans. Those little skittish Bears can and do kill people though. Seems people still want to drag this all over the place for some reason I don't get. Bottom line when I lived there I did not go unarmed for just this reason. There was always a chance of running into one of these critters who decide I looked like a meal.
Little bears?

Upcoming Events

Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top