JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't see it but my camera did. About 25 miles NE of PDX.

bear-7-28-23.jpeg

Bruce

In Washington...
The black bears around here....here as in the west side and near the border are black...as well as brownish or even a reddish color at times.
Weight is 150 - 200 odd pounds for the average bear...they can get bigger in the 400 pound range.

I have seen lots them and of course lots of their sign when hiking , hunting , camping or shooting.
I don't overly worry 'bout 'em...since I keep a clean camp and am aware of my surroundings.
This is not to say that I take 'em for granted...I have no wish to be Tim Treadwell South...:eek: :D
Andy

Maybe Arizona is different but in oregon black bears come in all sorts of colors and sizes just like people
You seemed puzzled by my loose term "small Bears. Simple search will help you. The term "Black Bear" is a species of Bear. They are not all black. There is another common species of Bear in the Americas known as Brown Bears. They also are not all brown. That species covers several known to get large Bears. Kodiak, Grizzly, even the arctic Bears are part of the same gene pool. The common "Black Bear" found in a huge portion of the US run FAR smaller than the Brown family. Many of them are lighter than many people's pet dogs. Hence my very confusing term the "smaller bears". What many seem to not want to get their head around is the smaller common bears here can and do kill humans now and then. The internet will make this pretty easy for anyone still in the dark.

In Washington...
The black bears around here....here as in the west side and near the border are black...as well as brownish or even a reddish color at times.
Weight is 150 - 200 odd pounds for the average bear...they can get bigger in the 400 pound range.

I have seen lots them and of course lots of their sign when hiking , hunting , camping or shooting.
I don't overly worry 'bout 'em...since I keep a clean camp and am aware of my surroundings.
This is not to say that I take 'em for granted...I have no wish to be Tim Treadwell South...:eek: :D
Andy
Had a couple trapse through the back yard over the past 10 or so years. Caught one on camera...

Had a couple trapse through the back yard over the past 10 or so years. Caught one on camera...

They are fun to watch. Not so fun when you see one right outside your house like that. Often when they start getting that close to humans it means someone is feeding them. This sadly will lead to many of them being put down as it helps them lose fear of humans. Have seen one up on one of the freeways here going west. First time I thought look at the size of that dog out on the road. After a second I realized that's not a dog! It trotted off and into the night. I soon heard the State Patrol being called by other drivers about it. Unlike the deer here they do seem to manage to not get hit my cars up there.

They are fun to watch. Not so fun when you see one right outside your house like that. Often when they start getting that close to humans it means someone is feeding them. This sadly will lead to many of them being put down as it helps them lose fear of humans. Have seen one up on one of the freeways here going west. First time I thought look at the size of that dog out on the road. After a second I realized that's not a dog! It trotted off and into the night. I soon heard the State Patrol being called by other drivers about it. Unlike the deer here they do seem to manage to not get hit my cars up there.
More than you know get "put down" here in oregon

Maybe that's how it is in "the big city", but black bears been roaming around here for years. I'm surprised I haven't seen more in the 50+ years I've lived in Kidnap county.
In the particular case of the video I shot, it ends where it does, because I wanted to get in a better position to continue videoing it, so I paused it and was gonna head out onto the porch.
I turned the door handle very slowly, as I didn't want to spook the bear, but that handle is a bit notchy, and as I turned it, it let the quietest "click" and that's all it took.
It was like a scene out of Bugs Bunny...that bear spun around in a circle 3 times and shot off into the woods, quicker than $h!t!

I tried to get out there to continue the video, but it all happened too fast, so the video ends where it ends.
It's been by a couple more times, but I haven't seen it in quite a few years now.
The moral of this story? Leave the .45 and the bear spray at home. Next time you go into the woods, pack along an old Schlage door handle.
Turns out, bear's more scared of one of those than anything else! :s0140:

Maybe that's how it is in "the big city", but black bears been roaming around here for years. I'm surprised I haven't seen more in the 50+ years I've lived in Kidnap county.
In the particular case of the video I shot, it ends where it does, because I wanted to get in a better position to continue videoing it, so I paused it and was gonna head out onto the porch.
I turned the door handle very slowly, as I didn't want to spook the bear, but that handle is a bit notchy, and as I turned it, it let the quietest "click" and that's all it took.
It was like a scene out of Bugs Bunny...that bear spun around in a circle 3 times and shot off into the woods, quicker than $h!t!

I tried to get out there to continue the video, but it all happened too fast, so the video ends where it ends.
It's been by a couple more times, but I haven't seen it in quite a few years now.
The moral of this story? Leave the .45 and the bear spray at home. Next time you go into the woods, pack along an old Schlage door handle.
Turns out, bear's more scared of one of those than anything else! :s0140:
That is actually very good. A bear that afraid of humans is just what you want. Hopefully no one will start feeding it to make it lose that fear and it can have a good life. The morons feeding them cause a lot of them to be killed.

all this bear talk has me going to my bookshelf and digging out old books. read The Ben LILLY LEGEND by J Frank Dobie. one of the greatest bear hunters of all time. other books by Dobie The Song of the Coyote.

i am a voracious reader i go to the antique store and buy old issues of Outdoor life and Field and Stream. i love reading the storys of the old days, very eye opening compared to todays belief's and practices. love the old advertisements' the most, compare the prices, and what products are still with us today. these magazines date to the 40s & 50s. very entertaining.

People underestimate bears as a threat. Even a small bear will f u up in a hurry, not to mention the monsters that are out there. I killed a 400# boar last week, just the power they have is incredible
The stuff I've seen bears do is both impressive and scary. Out-of-this-world strength compared to their size

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews