JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
E17BF96A-259F-4272-B138-53AB00731A8F.jpeg

Thinking about something like the Panzer AR-12:
Since I no longer hunt, I downsized to a Springfield XD9 and a pellet rifle for the pesky racoons.
I do hike my area daily and a jogger only 1/2 mile from here was attacked by a mama black bear day before yesterday. We probably saw that same bear and cub in our yard last Saturday.
Although I'm walking on paved roads, there are plenty of woods and often dense growth near the road, so I ordered a bell for my backpack. :) Wife says get bear spray -- might do that but I also started looking at semi-auto 12 gauge shotguns ( gas operated, not pump).
Hard to think of something more likely to stop a charging bear, or convince it to turn around anyway. Will it freak out neighbors who see me walking with it? Possibly. I wear the 9mm on my hip ready to go, but obviously not as visible as a shotgun.

define black bear country

is this the attack?
she punched it in the nose and it ran off
"Wildlife officers killed and removed an adult sow black bear found where the attack occurred. Two small cubs were transported to a wildlife rehabilitation facility, WDFW said."

we have Black Bear in the Lewis River Valley, I've seen their prints down by my stream and they show up at the camp grounds every now and then
in this area, they average around 150 lbs
I've not heard of a dangerous encounter out here in the 24 years I've been here
IF I had to carry for Black Bear, it would be a 4" .357 loaded with 180 gn Buffalo Bore in my Alaskan cross draw rig, outside my rain jacket

have you used your pellet rifle on a Raccoon? I had an encounter with a 30 lbs raccoon last night off my porch
2 .22 Mini Mag in the chest and it growled and charged me
8 more at point blank range to kill it
forum members tell me it was probably rabid

Thinking about something like the Panzer AR-12:
Since I no longer hunt, I downsized to a Springfield XD9 and a pellet rifle for the pesky racoons.
I do hike my area daily and a jogger only 1/2 mile from here was attacked by a mama black bear day before yesterday. We probably saw that same bear and cub in our yard last Saturday.
Although I'm walking on paved roads, there are plenty of woods and often dense growth near the road, so I ordered a bell for my backpack. :) Wife says get bear spray -- might do that but I also started looking at semi-auto 12 gauge shotguns ( gas operated, not pump).
Hard to think of something more likely to stop a charging bear, or convince it to turn around anyway. Will it freak out neighbors who see me walking with it? Possibly. I wear the 9mm on my hip ready to go, but obviously not as visible as a shotgun.

[/URL]
The 9mmP seems VERY light for a charrrrrrrging bear... How about a .357 or a .44 if you can handle/control either one?...

define black bear country

is this the attack?
she punched it in the nose and it ran off
"Wildlife officers killed and removed an adult sow black bear found where the attack occurred. Two small cubs were transported to a wildlife rehabilitation facility, WDFW said."

we have Black Bear in the Lewis River Valley, I've seen their prints down by my stream and they show up at the camp grounds every now and then
in this area, they average around 150 lbs
I've not heard of a dangerous encounter out here in the 24 years I've been here
IF I had to carry for Black Bear, it would be a 4" .357 loaded with 180 gn Buffalo Bore in my Alaskan cross draw rig, outside my rain jacket

have you used your pellet rifle on a Raccoon? I had an encounter with a 30 lbs raccoon last night off my porch
2 .22 Mini Mag in the chest and it growled and charged me
8 more at point blank range to kill it
forum members tell me it was probably rabid
Them coons can be crazy, they will even attack a bear on occasion... And they do require a few .22LR to stop them... Rabid? Maybe but certainly not necessarily IME...

Them coons can be crazy, they will even attack a bear on occasion... And they do require a few .22LR to stop them... Rabid? Maybe but certainly not necessarily IME...
My brother swears by .38 special for raccoons. I do not like using .22 on them. It feels cruel as non-lethal shots can easily occur.

My brother swears by .38 special for raccoons. I do not like using .22 on them. It feels cruel as non-lethal shots can easily occur.
Untrue. The 22lr is very deadly. In my younger, crazier days, with super crazy friends, I personally watched a Mark 2 Pistol kill a dear with a single shot to the melon using hollow point rounds. Dear was probably 150-170 pounds.

Untrue. The 22lr is very deadly. In my younger, crazier days, with super crazy friends, I personally watched a Mark 2 Pistol kill a dear with a single shot to the melon using hollow point rounds. Dear was probably 150-170 pounds.
Shot placement only works if you don't have an underpowered round. I have shot a raccoon in what should have been a kill shot to the head that just made the sucker bleed and run. It took several poorly placed shots to take him down as I wasn't going to leave an animal to bleed to death. I no longer trust .22 to be up to par as the rimfire ammo has failed me. (CCI Standard, BTW) The shot felt weak, it didn't go through the skull. Since then I moved to .32 S&W long. Weak, Yes. supresses well, Yes. Not rimfire, yes. I prefer being more confident the shot will kill and yes, I tend to go overkill, out of kindness.

Shot placement only works if you don't have an underpowered round. I have shot a raccoon in what should have been a kill shot to the head that just made the sucker bleed and run. It took several poorly placed shots to take him down as I wasn't going to leave an animal to bleed to death. I no longer trust .22 to be up to par as the rimfire ammo has failed me. (CCI Standard, BTW) The shot felt weak, it didn't go through the skull. Since then I moved to .32 S&W long. Weak, Yes. supresses well, Yes. Not rimfire, yes. I prefer being more confident the shot will kill and yes, I tend to go overkill, out of kindness.
I don't consider the 22 to be underpowered. It works for me just fine

I don't consider the 22 to be underpowered. It works for me just fine
I wouldn't even hesitate to conceal carry a quality 22 to be honest. They are super accurate and none of your shots will miss. As our buddy John Correia says on advanced protection you tube channel "first person with shots on target usually wins the gun battle."

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top