JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd be about as pissed at dying from a bear attack in the desert as I would dying of a rattlesnake bite on the beach.
Not much desert there:

bear.jpeg

Bruce

My take is that Arizona bears just have a much lower threshold for dealing with squatters. If that case had gotten to a court in Oregon or Washington, that guy would probably still be on that bear's land.

Last Edited:
Not much desert there:

View attachment 1439361

Bruce
Most who have not lived around there don't really know what that area looks like. I lived in AZ for a long time and a LOT of people who had not used to think when you said AZ you lived in or around the Sonoran Desert. Many had no idea a lot of the state looks a lot like parts of W WA. Even have great snow to ski and such in large parts.
Knowing the area this happened was made me think no way in hell would I have been there and not have had protection from exactly what happened to this guy. The attacks are very rare but the animals have been there for a LONG time and people want to live amongst them.

Since more people in Oregon are killed by wasps, hornets, etc than any other critter including bears:

If you know you are allergic to such stings, get an epi-pen that contains adrenalin, the antidote, and keep it with you when hiking or working outside. In allergic people the stings cause anaphylactic shock. It can be lethal.

If you have a fruit tree keep the windfall fruit picked up. Otherwise the whole area gets taken over by yellow jackets. Its bad enough when you can't harvest fruit or walk under or have lawn chair in shade under trees. It would be nice if domestic ducks, which eat flies and most insects, ate yellow jackets. They dont. They like eating grass under fruit trees and lolling under fruit trees in midday, but not if the area under the tree is full of windfall fruits and yellow jackets. Pick up windfall fruit in the early morning before yellow jackets come out. I had a dog who used to eat honeybees. She would draw back her lips and crush them between her teeth. But she didn't catch yellow jackets.

A honeybee leaves its sting in you along with some internal organs and dies. So it can sting just once. Wasps and hornets and yellow jackets can sting you repeatedly until you get them off you.

When hiking, avoid shaking or banging on trees unnecessarily lest you disturb wasp or hornet nests. I disturbed a wasp nest when hiking in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness in SW OR. They have an especially aggressive wasp species there, and they got pissed when me and my two dogs merely walked by peacefully on path under nest, about ten feet over my head. Fortunately the wasp species, while unusually aggressive, also had very weak venom, so stings hurt less than most. I took three or four stings, and the dogs a few more before running away and rubbing away wasps from myself and picking them off dogs. The dogs initial reactions were to stop under hive and try to scrape wasps off. So its good to have woods dogs properly recall-trained. If it had been a bigger wasp nest and my dogs didn't have good recall training they might have died that day.

Check an area for wasp/hornet/bee hives/nests and poisonous snakes before making camp.

I once had a favorite gardening shirt that had a flower pattern on it. This led to several honey bee stings. They would land on the shirt, then walk all over trying to figure out where I kept my pollen and nectar. Up the shirt sleeve? Down the neck? Obviously a new kind of plant but it has presented flowers, the universal signal to my kind, so the pollen and nectar must be in here somewhere. She persists until she gets into my shirt, which rubs against her back as I move, and she stings me. When gardening, its best to avoid shirts with flower patterns or that are orange, yellow, or red. If you dress like a flower you are likely to be treated like a flower.

Last Edited:
I was going to say, must be in the northern part of the state. Yep, Prescott a beautiful area and I approve of unprepared people getting mauled by bears, not so much about killing them unless their going in the freezer or smoke house.

I heard on another forum that this guy had been feeding bears. That would explain the 'unprovoked' attack.
Wouldn't surprise me. The area of the attack is Groom Creek, which is like a cheaper version of the California side of Lake Tahoe. Development with 1/4 to 3 acre homesites with various houses and cabins on many of them, along with the typical human interreactions with wildlife.

I heard on another forum that this guy had been feeding bears. That would explain the 'unprovoked' attack.
Now that is VERY possible. When I lived in that state many a resident got in trouble with local wildlife doing that. Feeding the critters to get them to come close to the home and then get attacked. Those small wild pigs we had in the SW part of the state were good for that. People would feed them to get them to come close to their homes. Then one of the family members and or the family dog would get nailed. Those things were small but they were NOT something to mess with. If this guy was feeding the local bears he certainly was playing with fire.

Now that is VERY possible. When I lived in that state many a resident got in trouble with local wildlife doing that. Feeding the critters to get them to come close to the home and then get attacked. Those small wild pigs we had in the SW part of the state were good for that. People would feed them to get them to come close to their homes. Then one of the family members and or the family dog would get nailed. Those things were small but they were NOT something to mess with. If this guy was feeding the local bears he certainly was playing with fire.
"Small wild pigs" -- peccaries?

Most who have not lived around there don't really know what that area looks like. I lived in AZ for a long time and a LOT of people who had not used to think when you said AZ you lived in or around the Sonoran Desert. Many had no idea a lot of the state looks a lot like parts of W WA. Even have great snow to ski and such in large parts.
Knowing the area this happened was made me think no way in hell would I have been there and not have had protection from exactly what happened to this guy. The attacks are very rare but the animals have been there for a LONG time and people want to live amongst them.
Meh. I've spent a combined year's worth of days climbing at Groom Creek and never had an issue with the wildlife.

This guy got very unlucky.

Meh. I've spent a combined year's worth of days climbing at Groom Creek and never had an issue with the wildlife.

This guy got very unlucky.
People live in cities like Chi town for decades and never fall victim to crime. Does not mean I will ever be without a gun. Those who choose to do so, hey its their life. :s0092:
I know and work with a LOT of people who either do not own a gun at all, or will not carry. Most of them will remain lucky and never wish they had one.
I forgot too that one poster read this guy had been feeding the bears. Now this may not be true. If he was he was not only "unlucky" he was very stupid on top of it.

That never ends well for the animals or the people! Look at the lady in Yachats and the man in Gates
No matter how much they try to teach people who live around critters like this not to do this, there is always a lot of people who do it anyway. Thinking its "cute" to see the critters come by. Its all cute and fun until the food runs out and or the critters lose any fear of humans. Then someone gets hurt and the critters are shot.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top