JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have seen people hand feeding deer, elk, racoons, squirrels & other assorted critters

Watch the vid sometime of that idiot feeding the racoons the case of hot dogs.
Racoons??? Those things terrify me. I just look at the fangs and claws and know that I never would want to tangle with one. I've yelled at them, but was holding a gun at the time and very ready to shoot if it charged me.

Most common animal death in Florida, land of alligators, giant pythons, poisonous snakes, sharks, bears, wild boar, and cougars? Not any of those. Its mosquitoes via the many diseases they spread, including various kinds of encephylitis. Mosquitoes are the major animal cause of death worldwide, with malaria alone being responsible for millions
Mosquitoes may be the most significant animal cause of human death worldwide, but not in Florida. Malaria and yellow fever (the big killers) have been eradicated from the United States (other than foreign travel related cases). Fatal cases of encephalitis are relatively rare in humans. More of a problem in horses.

Mosquitoes may be the most significant animal cause of human death worldwide, but not in Florida. Malaria and yellow fever (the big killers) have been eradicated from the United States (other than foreign travel related cases). Fatal cases of encephalitis are relatively rare in humans. More of a problem in horses.
The source I read put deaths from mosquito-transmitted diseases in Florida at greater than 100/year. Everything other animal caused death rate was more like one or two a year or less. The deaths were from encephalitis, of which there are many kinds, and other stuff less common than malaria or yellow fever worldwide. A trivial death rate compared to worldwide because of malaria and various tropical diseases elsewhere, lack of mosquito control, and lack of access to modern medicine including preventative drugs and medicines for malaria.

WTF? You tube puts out some really sick stuff to all and this they block kids from?
Indeed, how else are kids to know what dangers exist and what could happen to them? Eddie Eagle is a terrorist yet public schools are a genitals mutilation conduit.
It makes you wonder.. not long ago on utoob I searched the most viewed channels, A-Z, and 9/10 the most viewed channels are of small children.

I would like to know the name of your source, please.
Didn't take notes. Found several relevant articles on the internet, but read without realizing I was going to include highlights in a post a few days later from memory. So do your own search. Sorry. Note that many reports only include big glamorous animals, not insects or spiders or ticks. Many include only attacks, not running into the animals on the road. Some include arthropods, ie insects, spiders, ticks, etc as a single category. Some are reports for one year and many are averages over varying periods of years. This gives some variability, especially for things like bear attacks if they are only none to three a year, for example.

They are pretty bad in Florida. Those things will eat your face off.

Didn't take notes. Found several relevant articles on the internet, but read without realizing I was going to include highlights in a post a few days later from memory. So do your own search. Sorry. Note that many reports only include big glamorous animals, not insects or spiders or ticks. Many include only attacks, not running into the animals on the road. Some include arthropods, ie insects, spiders, ticks, etc as a single category. Some are reports for one year and many are averages over varying periods of years. This gives some variability, especially for things like bear attacks if they are only none to three a year, for example.
The old line from old days of news, "if it bleeds it leads" is why. People being done in from things they catch from bugs is not fast or spectacular. So it often is not worth a news splash. So (using made up numbers) say 100 people die from different things they got from bugs bites most news will not care. Let ONE person get mauled by some large animal and of course it makes a nice splash for news. Think of it like people being killed on the roads. How many die every day this way and nothing. Yet if a bus full of people goes off a cliff and a lot of them die at one time? Now its national news. Human nature. :s0092:

The old line from old days of news, "if it bleeds it leads" is why. People being done in from things they catch from bugs is not fast or spectacular. So it often is not worth a news splash. So (using made up numbers) say 100 people die from different things they got from bugs bites most news will not care. Let ONE person get mauled by some large animal and of course it makes a nice splash for news. Think of it like people being killed on the roads. How many die every day this way and nothing. Yet if a bus full of people goes off a cliff and a lot of them die at one time? Now its national news. Human nature. :s0092:
Right. Death from massive hornet attack or allergic reaction to bee stings, are rapid and obvious. likewise for scorpions. And often for spiders. But you are not likely to know that a particular mosquito or tick has infected you, and the disease only manifests some time later. Only after science developed did we even understand the connection between certain insects and certain diseases. However, we sometimes got around the problem with culture. For example, after malaria and the relevant mosquito spread to Europe, people learned that villages located near swamps suffered many deaths from disease. And military lore included the idea of avoiding camping in such places because of "bad air," which was true in a way. Air full of mosquitoes carrying diseases is certainly bad air.

Didn't take notes. Found several relevant articles on the internet, but read without realizing I was going to include highlights in a post a few days later from memory. So do your own search. Sorry
Too bad you can't provide a reference. Having spent 15 years working on vector borne disease, either in public health programs or medical research, I thought your statement that there were over 100 deaths each year in Florida due to mosquito transmitted diseases sounded unbelievably high, which is why I asked you to provide your source. Either your memory is faulty or your source was all wet.

In the US the principal mosquito borne viruses are Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EE), St. Louis Encepahalitis (SLE), Western Equine Encephalitis (WEE), LaCrosse Encephalitis (LAC), and West Nile Virus (WNV).

Nationwide, approximate figures for these diseases are as follows: there are about 10 cases of EE annually with an average of 3 deaths. The number of SLE cases varies widely from year to year but averages 135 cases. With an approximate fatality rate of 10% that would be about 13 deaths/year nationwide. WEE is very rare with fewer than 16 cases/year over the last 60 years. There are about 90 cases/year of LAC with only infrequent fatalities in children under 16. WNV is most common with 232 deaths in 39 states in 2002.

So, you see it is mathematically impossible for mosquitoes to be responsible for over 100 human deaths each year in FL alone.

They are pretty bad in Florida. Those things will eat your face off.
I'm not saying they are not. I am just questioning the assertion that mosquito borne diseases cause over 100 human deaths each year in FL.

illnesses-from-rare-mosquito-borne-disease-are-up-officials-say-28674182

Last Edited:
No matter how much they try to teach people who live around critters like this not to do this, there is always a lot of people who do it anyway. Thinking its "cute" to see the critters come by. Its all cute and fun until the food runs out and or the critters lose any fear of humans. Then someone gets hurt and the critters are shot.
Just like the bison in Yellowstone. They are not cute furry domesticated woodland creatures. Idiots get stomped because they do not give animals their due credit.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top