JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking about something like the Panzer AR-12:
Since I no longer hunt, I downsized to a Springfield XD9 and a pellet rifle for the pesky racoons.
I do hike my area daily and a jogger only 1/2 mile from here was attacked by a mama black bear day before yesterday. We probably saw that same bear and cub in our yard last Saturday.
Although I'm walking on paved roads, there are plenty of woods and often dense growth near the road, so I ordered a bell for my backpack. :) Wife says get bear spray -- might do that but I also started looking at semi-auto 12 gauge shotguns ( gas operated, not pump).
Hard to think of something more likely to stop a charging bear, or convince it to turn around anyway. Will it freak out neighbors who see me walking with it? Possibly. I wear the 9mm on my hip ready to go, but obviously not as visible as a shotgun.

Been walking , camping , and hunting in black bear country for over 20 years now..
Haven't had an issue with them .
As a general rule....they don't want to bother with you.
Also worth understanding here is that I won't go all "Timothy Treadwell " with 'em either....:eek: :D

Please notice , I said as a general rule...there are always exceptions ...as noted in the OP.

A shotgun with slugs ought to do the trick ...as well as a large bore revolver or pistol , loaded with some hard cast bullets or other deep penetrating bullets.
If I was concerned about what neighbors thought ....I'd go with the large bore handgun and proper bullet selection...and lots of practice.
Andy

A loyal dog is more valuable than any weapon in bear country. Any size and breed.
I'm assuming you mean to distract and confuse the bear since he , at first, may not know how big the dog is, how many there are, whether they are free to chase --- or may not know what a dog is ( probably not the case here on the suburb/country fringe).
As opposed to being a sacrificial lamb.

A dog is a good idea assuming it is well behaved and trained .
I would suggest a medium to large size dog ...if one wants it for an outdoor companion.
Less potential to end up as a snack for something.

Dogs are great....big or little....with that said...some little dogs have "little dog syndrome" ...
'Cause they are little some owners don't train them well.
Or....
The little dog thinks he is a big , bad MF'er...and takes every unknown as a challenge .

I have owned both large and small dogs.....as I said dogs are great.
They can provide companionship , an early warning alarm , be used to pack their own food , etc....
They are at their best when they are well loved and trained.
Andy

Last Edited:
Dogs are great....big or little....with that said...some little dogs have "little dog syndrome" ...
Where 'cause they are little some owners don't train them well.
Or....
The little dog thinks he is a big , bad MF'er...and takes every unknown as a challenge.
I would reference the Jack Russell terrier into the little dog syndrome group. It is like the Honey Badger of canines, it just doesn't give three sheets.

Oh look! A wounded 450# Gemsbok! I think that I will chase and bay it!

Jack, the Cat, treed the bear twice. When Jack's human needed help in the house, the bear was able to escape.
1659711441736.png
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5067912.stm Archived

I vote for bear spray, situational awareness, and Jack...if he has returned from his Big 5 African Safari.

Thinking about something like the Panzer AR-12:
Since I no longer hunt, I downsized to a Springfield XD9 and a pellet rifle for the pesky racoons.
I do hike my area daily and a jogger only 1/2 mile from here was attacked by a mama black bear day before yesterday. We probably saw that same bear and cub in our yard last Saturday.
Although I'm walking on paved roads, there are plenty of woods and often dense growth near the road, so I ordered a bell for my backpack. :) Wife says get bear spray -- might do that but I also started looking at semi-auto 12 gauge shotguns ( gas operated, not pump).
Hard to think of something more likely to stop a charging bear, or convince it to turn around anyway. Will it freak out neighbors who see me walking with it? Possibly. I wear the 9mm on my hip ready to go, but obviously not as visible as a shotgun.

Get a large caliber revolver (.357 mag minimum) or get a 10mm. I've been thinking seriously about a 10mm for hiking in grizzly country, which I do nearly every year at Glacier National Park. Since Montana carry law is very accommodating and the NPS follows local state law now, it really makes sense.

Personally in bear country I like a ruger redhawk loaded with 454 Casull. It is substantially lighter than a 12 gauge to carry.

as an owner of an Olde English Bulldogge, My female, who passed on was really far superior to a gun when it came to facing a mountain lion. She put fear into that cat. And after seeing what she did to raccoons, (I had to hold her back from attacking the Puma) my money would have been on an injured dog and a dead puma if she had gotten at it. My male is a grand old man and his days of bear deterrent are behind him, but those dogs are amazingly loyal and tough. Remarkably fast and agile which they don't look like at first glance. And I have never met a dog smarter than that female. For reference, I grew up with border collies. My male is no dunce, but that girl was a special kind of smart. The only downsides really are they live in the 10-16 year range and they are tough to train and stubborn. They are fiercely loyal but incredibly hierarchical.

There have only been 19 documented black bear attacks in Wa since 1970 including this one in Whatcom county. You are more likely to be accosted by a human with bad intentions and your 9mm pistol is fine. If you feel the need to step it up a bit, a 10mm auto or a 4" .357mag wheel gun would be good choices. I hunt/fish/hike in black bear country all the time and usually pack a 4" .357 mag with 158gr xtp handloads.

There have only been 19 documented black bear attacks in Wa since 1970 including this one in Whatcom county. You are more likely to be accosted by a human with bad intentions and your 9mm pistol is fine. If you feel the need to step it up a bit, a 10mm auto or a 4" .357mag wheel gun would be good choices. I hunt/fish/hike in black bear country all the time and usually pack a 4" .357 mag with 158gr xtp handloads.
True, but it's also true that it's more likely something occurs if you're in that area. For example, you're more like to be attacked by a shark if you regularly swim in the ocean then the guy that never goes to the beach,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top