JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
More.....BEAR news.

1691186682564.png

BUT, But, but....the article was lacking in the handgun's description.

Aloha, Mark

I had a call just outside of silverton about 10 years ago where the bear took the folks fridge out into the front yard and had himself a snack....of course the home owner didn't own a firearm. But I made that the bears last meal!

More.....BEAR news.

View attachment 1465095

BUT, But, but....the article was lacking in the handgun's description.

Aloha, Mark
I noticed that, too.

What kind of handgun? What caliber?

And did they keep the meat?

Oregon you can keep the meat if they have caused you damage. Those that don't want to keep it I have a list of names of people that can use it and they get the meat. If no ones wants it they go to the homeless shelter or the local tribe

i am a voracious reader i go to the antique store and buy old issues of Outdoor life and Field and Stream. i love reading the storys of the old days, very eye opening compared to todays belief's and practices. love the old advertisements' the most, compare the prices, and what products are still with us today. these magazines date to the 40s & 50s. very entertaining.
I still have a copy of The Biography of a Grizzly I got when I was like 7 years old.
I should dig that out.

Oregon you can keep the meat if they have caused you damage. Those that don't want to keep it I have a list of names of people that can use it and they get the meat. If no ones wants it they go to the homeless shelter or the local tribe
Never had bear meat. Is it even worth keeping?
I have this theory that carnivores don't make for tasty steaks, because they're not meant to be eaten.
Anyone had bear or wolf? Taste like chicken, or an old foot?

Never had bear meat. Is the meat even worth keeping?
I have this theory that carnivores don't make for tasty steaks, because they're not meant to be eaten.
I've had bear and mountain lion meat. Both were delicious.

But I've heard that bear meat can taste bad, depending on what they've been eating.

Lion meat smells funny when it's being browned in a skillet. I've used it in stir-fry and in stew. To me, it tasted like very high quality beef.

The bear meat was made into sausage. Very tasty that way. I'm hoping to have a nice roast someday.

Since they're predators, the meat has to be thoroughly cooked to kill off any parasites they picked up from their prey.

Depends. Black bear is usually pretty good. Kind of tastes like venison but a bit sweeter and kinda greasy. Grizzly... it more depends on the season and what it's been feeding on. During the fish runs... it's nasty as all get out. Kind of a rotting fish type flavor that's pretty rough trying to choke down... if you have the stones for it. I think you would have a difficult time even making any kind of palatable sausage out of it.

Let's just say I don't take bears home for the kids.....it's recommended to freeze it for 30 days to kill the trig. Although it's rare I'd still freeze and cook properly

Bear ham...bear bacon are both good...as are bear ribs...roast and sausage.

However...
As noted with grizzly bear...black bears feeding on fish...or if they have been raiding garbage sites.....yuck.
Andy

Edit to add....
If y'all ever do decide to go bear hunting....and get one....
Be advised , when field dressing a bear ..they look similar to humans.
Andy

Last Edited:
Bear ham...bear bacon are both good...as are bear ribs...roast and sausage.

However...
As noted with grizzly bear...black bears feeding on fish...or if they have been raiding garbage sites.....yuck.
Andy

Edit to add....
If y'all ever do decide to go bear hunting....and get one....
Be advised , when field dressing a bear ..they look similar to humans.
Andy
Are you saying you've field dressed humans by comparison Andy? 😱

If you dress like a flower you are likely to be treated like a flower.
This makes for an excellent metaphor...:D
Andy

Especially when standing near a wall…..

Get it? A "wall-flower"? :s0025: :s0168:

I was going to make a joke asking if a bear chits in the woods, but given the OP subject and the possible composition of the chit, so……

:s0131:

i only ate one bear, it had been feeding on Huckelberrys, delicious! kind of like a cross between venison and pork only sweeter. field dressing that bear smelled kind of funky but the meat had that Huckelberry taste. i am sure one that was feeding on Blackberrys would be just as good.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews