JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

PHOENIX (AP) - Residents in Arizona cities who spot a rat or snake in their yard will be able to shoot the animals using a small-caliber gun loaded with tiny pellets under legislation that Republicans gave initial approval Tuesday.

A group of scientists opposed to the proposal say it endangers people by encouraging firearm use in populated areas and puts them at risk as they approach venomous snakes. In Phoenix and other cities in Arizona, neighborhoods are commonly built on or near the desert.

House Bill 2022,

But..... that's not a gun! o_O:rolleyes:
When I lived there that happened to me one night. We were in a rural area but not safe for shooting. Heard the sound of a rattler. Go outside and cat has one cornered at fence. I got a flashlight and shovel and shooed the cat. When I got closer I could see it was about a 4 footer. Started wondering if I really wanted to wack it with a shovel. Got Wife with gun. Said I'm going to step up and swing. If I don't get it you shoot it. I cut it in several pieces with that one swing. Still scared me to think one that big had been around the house for who the hell knows how long. Snake shot would have been perfect for that and I bought some the next day.

I lived in Arizona. I was on my dad's ranch once, south of Tucson, when still in my teens and came across a pissed off rattler rattling away at me. Being a city boy I thought I'd use my movie-wisdom and dispatch said snake with my pistol. I emptied the magazine at it and did nothing but piss the snake off more. Ended up using a big heavy rock to squish it. So much for city kids playing cowboy.

When I lived there that happened to me one night. We were in a rural area but not safe for shooting. Heard the sound of a rattler. Go outside and cat has one cornered at fence. I got a flashlight and shovel and shooed the cat. When I got closer I could see it was about a 4 footer. Started wondering if I really wanted to wack it with a shovel. Got Wife with gun. Said I'm going to step up and swing. If I don't get it you shoot it. I cut it in several pieces with that one swing. Still scared me to think one that big had been around the house for who the hell knows how long. Snake shot would have been perfect for that and I bought some the next day.

Did you mangle it up too badly to eat it? It is delicious meat...tastes just like salt, pepper, and butter.

Did you mangle it up too badly to eat it? It is delicious meat...tastes just like salt, pepper, and butter.
I had tried it in a survival class and it tasted fine to me. Wife wanted NO part of eating it. Would have loved to save the hide as I knew how to tan it. Sadly it was no way since it was so badly damaged. The fire department there used to use CO2 fire extinguishers on them.Wished I had one as I would have used that. Then could have had a nice hide.

PHOENIX (AP) - Residents in Arizona cities who spot a rat or snake in their yard will be able to shoot the animals using a small-caliber gun loaded with tiny pellets under legislation that Republicans gave initial approval Tuesday.

A group of scientists opposed to the proposal say it endangers people by encouraging firearm use in populated areas and puts them at risk as they approach venomous snakes. In Phoenix and other cities in Arizona, neighborhoods are commonly built on or near the desert.

And in other news, cities built in the oceans or lakes are commonly built on or near islands! o_O

Fishing along a stream once I found a rattler in the middle of the trail. It wouldn't move so I though I would be clever and hold it down with my pole as I walked past.... only to get that sucker all tangled up in the line between the pole eyelets.

Looking back on my life I can see why some people believe God protects children, drunks and fools.

Maybe someone should hire a pack , herd , gang , whatever they are called , of Mongoose.
(Mongeese ? :D )
Anyone else read the story: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi ?
Andy

IIRC, Mongooses were imported to Florida at the turn of the last century! The rattlers wiped them out! Apparently rattlesnakes are very low drag/high speed compared to cobras!

I lived in Arizona. I was on my dad's ranch once, south of Tucson, when still in my teens and came across a pissed off rattler rattling away at me. Being a city boy I thought I'd use my movie-wisdom and dispatch said snake with my pistol. I emptied the magazine at it and did nothing but piss the snake off more. Ended up using a big heavy rock to squish it. So much for city kids playing cowboy.

When I was a kid I did the same thing with a pellet rifle. Dang things are pretty hard to kill with bullets. Nowadays I carry .38 snake shot and a Judge with #5 shot when I am in AZ. Only we are not allowed to shoot on the Quartzsite LTVA. We keep a shovel handy but I'm not sure I wouldn't shoot one. The last time we were there a big ol rattler got in the shade underneath the lawn chair our neighbor was in. Yikes!!! He got a shovel and herded it into a swale... not!!!!
I did catch and release a Tarantula tho. Neat critters and they eat mice that are a real problem getting into RVs on the desert.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top