JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone here ever use those little .22 rat shot rounds on a critter? I've had some lying around for decades, and shot a few pieces of cardboard. Not terribly impressed.

I also have some CCI .357 magnums with shot visible through the plastic. Would a head shot with one of those smoke a 3-4 foot rattler?

I watched my Dad kill a rattler with his Hi Standard 22 Mag years ago, loaded with snake shot. The snake actually lunged at the shot, which took most of it's head off, the second shot removed what was left. Whole thing left me impressed and I had to get one of those guns for myself

Anyone here ever use those little .22 rat shot rounds on a critter? I've had some lying around for decades, and shot a few pieces of cardboard. Not terribly impressed.

I also have some CCI .357 magnums with shot visible through the plastic. Would a head shot with one of those smoke a 3-4 foot rattler?

Yeah, prolly would, but ya'd have a might rare time a gittin' all a them shot back OUT'n thet snake afore ya skin 'im an' toss 'im inter th' stewpot. Gooder idear is ta git gud 'nuff wit' yer twennyrytooful an' git 'im in th' haid. Ain't 'nuff ta eat up thar ta matter none.

Yeah, prolly would, but ya'd have a might rare time a gittin' all a them shot back OUT'n thet snake afore ya skin 'im an' toss 'im inter th' stewpot. Gooder idear is ta git gud 'nuff wit' yer twennyrytooful an' git 'im in th' haid. Ain't 'nuff ta eat up thar ta matter none.

I have learned to speak redneck. (It pays to understand and speak a second language).

I lived in Arizona. I was on my dad's ranch once, south of Tucson, when still in my teens and came across a pissed off rattler rattling away at me. Being a city boy I thought I'd use my movie-wisdom and dispatch said snake with my pistol. I emptied the magazine at it and did nothing but piss the snake off more. Ended up using a big heavy rock to squish it. So much for city kids playing cowboy.

Hey Huck it sounds like you needed some shooting lessons. :eek:o_O
I used to work for Yavapai County Road Dept., and we were working down around Walnut Creek one summer, I was on a 10 wheeler dump truck and had just pulled up and was waiting my turn to be loaded when this 4 footer came sliding by, I don't particularly have any love lost on rattlers, so I crawled down out of the truck and started looking for some rocks, and wouldn't you know it all I could find was decomposed granite, and some mud clods, my buddy was on the loader that day and saw what I was up to and came over with that 966 Cat, and proceeded to chase it down with the loader bucket. He rolled the bucket so the edge was pointing down and lowered it toward that snake, it promptly struck several times and made that bucket ring like a gong. He finally got him to hold still and then cut it in half, now that's a good snake killer! :eek::cool::D
Gabby

Last Edited:
Yes but born in Lewiston , hell's canyon area, Snake River. Many Rattlesnakes in that area.
We like the snakes here in Scappoose, they eat the bugs and small critters. We get along with the bats fine as well. :)

Killed me some snakes at McCormack park (with a shovel) on the Oxbow pool just below Brownlee dam, and on the Imnaha River w .38spcl snakeshot. Each year we have firefighters that have snakebite in the Wenaha drainage, and sometimes railroad employees get bit down in the valley where the line comes up from Umatilla N.F. towards Kamela. And on the Powder River below and around Thief Valley Reservoir. Campers and fishers have to beware. Buffalo Peak Golf Course you don't go chasing your golf ball out of bounds. All these rattlers are typically small ones but they can still put a hurt on ya. Dogs and children especially.

Yes but born in Lewiston , hell's canyon area, Snake River. Many Rattlesnakes in that area.
We like the snakes here in Scappoose, they eat the bugs and small critters. We get along with the bats fine as well. :)

I still don't get your worry about a law in AZ, since you don't live there.

Living where you do I'd be carrying snake loads 24-7-365.
I never saw a rattler I didn't want to kill. There are plenty gopher snakes and garter snakes to take care of rodents, we have a bat colony that live in the siding on our cabin.
It's bad here in SW OR, so far the snakes we've seen and killed were less than 24", with itty bitty rattles that make more of a hissing sound than a real rattle, which blends right in with my Tinnitus!

We live off the beaten path and end up killing 1 or 2 a year, I don't go looking for them but if they try to move in with us and stay,they get evicted minus their heads! :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top