JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mongoose: "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir? Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya Da Da."

Snake: "va te faire enculer espece de gros tas de merde, j'en ai ras-le cul de vos conneries, merde!!! je rentre!!!"

Anyone here ever use those little .22 rat shot rounds on a critter? I've had some lying around for decades, and shot a few pieces of cardboard. Not terribly impressed.

I also have some CCI .357 magnums with shot visible through the plastic. Would a head shot with one of those smoke a 3-4 foot rattler?

Anyone here ever use those little .22 rat shot rounds on a critter? I've had some lying around for decades, and shot a few pieces of cardboard. Not terribly impressed.

I also have some CCI .357 magnums with shot visible through the plastic. Would a head shot with one of those smoke a 3-4 foot rattler?

Trouble is, some of these rattlers are a bit large for the .22 LR with "rat shot" to be immediately effective. It takes more than 2-3 rounds of this fodder to "do the job".

I tried the .22 ones. They were worthless. I guess if you put the muzzle an inch from the critter they might kill it. From even 5 feet they seemed to do almost nothing. Ended up throwing the rest of the box I had out. The larger ones like the .38 /357 and 44 I found worked great for rats at close range. Made hamburger out of them in the barn without causing damage to the building.

Figured they'd be more effective. Hesitant to break up my set of 6 just for a test. I'm guessing they're just as loud as a regular round? That might be unnerving in AZ to hear that next door.

Figured they'd be more effective. Hesitant to break up my set of 6 just for a test. I'm guessing they're just as loud as a regular round? That might be unnerving in AZ to hear that next door.
Yes they needed ear protection when I was using them on the rats. Especially since I was doing it inside a building. Seemed far less recoil though. Pattern spreads of course very fast too. I found they would kill at even 20 feet or so but often the spread made it seem like they had no effect. It was that often none of the shot hit them. If even a couple did it would stop them long enough to kill them. This was with the large Norwegian barn rats.

Speaking of snakes, I saw my sister-in-law trying to shed her skin the other day. (Believe me, there isn't enough "eye bleach" on earth that will help me now)! :s0095:Hell, at this point she could use all the help she can get. (Have you ever seen a garbage scow in a dress)?

Last Edited:
This is why God created snake shot in .44 Special capsules. (These work wonders)!

These do work well, but...

A friend of mine has a little bit of a snake problem in the gorge. He carries a Charter Arms Bulldog loaded with .44 snake shot. He has found that shooting these shotshell loads in a light revolver, the capsules are jumping crimp in his lightweight revolver, binding it up. Apparently it's a known problem, and a suggested cure is to flow a little nail polish around the crimp to glue the shot capsule in place. it worked for him.

Growing up in the Snake River area. I remember dad always carried Blackhawk 44 w snake shot when we were out Deer hunting. Didn't need it often. We could get rattles off of dead ones on the road. He would stop and tell us to go check. Watch out around the warm rock piles.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top