JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IIRC, Mongooses were imported to Florida at the turn of the last century! The rattlers wiped them out! Apparently rattlesnakes are very low drag/high speed compared to cobras!
When I was on Okinawa we saw mongooses. Apparently they we imported in the past to deal with the Habu Viper. Nasty reptiles when not inside a bottle of Habu Sake :)

Speaking of snakes, I saw my sister-in-law trying to shed her skin the other day. (Believe me, there isn't enough "eye bleach" on earth that will help me now)! :s0095:Hell, at this point she could use all the help she can get. (Have you ever seen a garbage scow in a dress)?
I think you are secretly facinsted by your voluptuous SIL :p:D

Use a shovel. Right tool for the job.

I think it's the right tool for the job if your job is to bury the snake.

upload_2017-2-5_8-14-49.jpeg

Just use a stick and hold the head down then grab right behind the head.... and they do taste very good. I took one out and gutted it skinned it and as I was cutting it into steaks it was still wiggling.

Just use a stick and hold the head down then grab right behind the head.... and they do taste very good. I took one out and gutted it skinned it and as I was cutting it into steaks it was still wiggling.

That is how MANY end up making the trip to the ER. They see that on TV and "think" it's easy. Before trying this others may want to check your insurance too. The cost of the anti venom in VERY high.

That is how MANY end up making the trip to the ER. They see that on TV and "think" it's easy. Before trying this others may want to check your insurance too. The cost of the anti venom in VERY high.

It is very easy if you take your time and do it right.I caught many of them. almost forgot I learned at Ross Allen reptile instute in Fl. just watching the handlers working the show.

It is very easy if you take your time and do it right.I caught many of them. almost forgot I learned at Ross Allen reptile instute in Fl. just watching the handlers working the show.
Anything is "easy" to those who know how to do it. Talk to any ER RN who lives in an area where these critters are found. The will laugh as they tell you about all the people who they deal with. They all saw how easy it was too. Right up until they get bit. Those without real good health insurance get another huge shock when they see the bill.

Anything is "easy" to those who know how to do it. Talk to any ER RN who lives in an area where these critters are found. The will laugh as they tell you about all the people who they deal with. They all saw how easy it was too. Right up until they get bit. Those without real good health insurance get another huge shock when they see the bill.

Darwin award time then.

I lived in Arizona. I was on my dad's ranch once, south of Tucson, when still in my teens and came across a pissed off rattler rattling away at me. Being a city boy I thought I'd use my movie-wisdom and dispatch said snake with my pistol. I emptied the magazine at it and did nothing but piss the snake off more. Ended up using a big heavy rock to squish it. So much for city kids playing cowboy.
I worked in Sahuarita at a gravel pit..we had a scrap yard where we would throw steel plates and such-every time you lifted one there was a snake,scorpion,or spider.
One learned quickly to carry a flat shovel and do a jig on the plates before lifting.

Maybe someone should hire a pack , herd , gang , whatever they are called , of Mongoose.
(Mongeese ? :D )
Anyone else read the story: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi ?
Andy
They tried Mongoose in Hawaii to control the rats left behind by ships. The rats are out at night and the mongooses are out in the day time. Now they just have 2 problems instead of one.

<broken link removed>

House Bill 2022,

Hi All,

I grew up in Tucson and even though they have some awesome gun laws there, there's some other stuff that doesn't make not a lot of sense. The law has more recently changed but the one that comes to mind for me in this situation is such: AZ law states that it is unlawful to discharge a firearm within one mile (previously 1/4 mile) of an "occupied" building... Therefore, even if you live out in the sticks and you may have wide open range in your backyard, if you have a neighbor within a mile in any direction, it would be an "unlawful discharge" to shoot a snake or other varmint on your wide open range although there are nuisance permits that can be acquired. Presumably, this bill would override the "One mile" rule.

In AZ, it is also unlawful to discharge a firearm across any county or federally maintained road and I believe any body of water also. In Arizona, this can be fairly obscure since the county maintains lots of dirt roads for open range cattle ranchers, etc. and there are cattle ponds all over those same areas.

So even though you can carry concealed without a CCW or other permit, one still has to watch his P's and Q's when shooting in AZ.

For all those who liked it , Thanks! :D
For those who commented on my post #5...
Regarding the Mongoose ... ( that's a funny opening line right there..)
It was a tongue in cheek comment , not meant to be a serious comment or idea ... :p
Andy

<broken link removed>

House Bill 2022,

A group of scientists opposed to the proposal say it endangers people by encouraging firearm use in populated areas and puts them at risk as they approach venomous snakes

that ain't no scientist worth even a half ounce of salt. He's a librul pawl a tishun. What, he thinks rats invading a suburban area aren't a danger to people, especially small ones? Diseases, destruction of food, sometimes even destroying homes with their chewing, and known to chew on young children... not a fairy tale. Our everlovin' ever "helpful" EPA have mandated the poisons in rat baits be reduced to such a low level we end up feeding the filthy vermin (I mean, the rats...) at sixteen bucks the pound for the bars. They're too wiley for traps, A strong one can't eat enough of the poison to die. Besides, poison CAN, and does, get found and eaten by cats, dogs, and young children. It won't kill them, its so weakened, but can make them pretty sick.

Firearms are already in "populated areas", dummies, as it is PEOPLE, not rats and snakes, (other than two legged ones) that will have them. So wherever they are, guns are, and are used. the small pellets being allowed don't travel far, and have very little downrange energy., and almost no chance of ricochet.
Scientists stick to SCIENCE and let normal folks decide how to deal with their problems the way WE see fit. It was a pile of such "scientists" brought us the watered down rat baits in the first place, necessitating more aggressive action.

We get big azzed Rattlers up here during the summer and they can be real fun. I find a head shot from a .22 or .223 from a ways off works wonders on them! Best when smoked for 4 hours over hickory and then slow cooked in a Dutch Oven and some Stubbs sweet and spicy BBQ sauce! Add some Red Beans and Rice and cornbread, and you got one heck of a meal!

We get big azzed Rattlers up here during the summer and they can be real fun. I find a head shot from a .22 or .223 from a ways off works wonders on them! Best when smoked for 4 hours over hickory and then slow cooked in a Dutch Oven and some Stubbs sweet and spicy BBQ sauce! Add some Red Beans and Rice and cornbread, and you got one heck of a meal!

Sounds delicious!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads