JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you going to open carry on the 19th?

• Total voters
The media will hopefully show up.

The media will be there hoping to catch someone doing something stupid. If it happens, the media will portray the nut as an average gun owner representative of us all. If nothing happens but a bunch of people peaceably assembling, they will likely not even mention it on the news. We could have 10,000 people assembled and the media won't show it because it doesn't fit their agenda.

I'm not going to carry and neither should anyone else.

Carry a well thought out PG or cleaner rated sign and behave like grown ups. If this ends up on TV the last thing anyone needs is a negligent discharge or a nasty sign or screaming an yelling.

We need NUMBERS THAT IS IT JUST A WHOLE CRAP LOAD OF WELL BEHAVED PEOPLE STANDING AROUND HOLDING SIGNS OFFERING THEIR POINT OF VIEW.

NOT what the media will call GUN NUTS PACKING HEAT.

500 people screaming and yelling packing AR's and AK's just exactly what the media would love to put on the 5:00 5:30 6:00 and 11:00 news WITH THEIR VOICE OVER COMMENTS.

I'll be there but will leave if stupid breaks out

And keep in mind you can't OPEN CARRY loaded unless you have a current CHL.
This is great advise,we all should heed it

National Gun Appreciation Day. It's our chance as legal gun owners to show our numbers in front of an audience that matters - the lawmakers. If all goes well, and this peaceful gathering wraps up without a hitch, it may be a segway story on the evening news. On the other hand, if we rally and end up bickering with each other for four hours, and get riled up and start waving guns around you can bet your spare magazine that we will be on the front page labelled as "wacko's" and "extremist".
On the 19th we need to dress nice, play nice, and carry politely worded "family-friendly" signs. Carry as you normally would, don't make a scene, and for God's sake keep your rifles at home. In Olympia there will be a huge police prescence so it would be best to keep the law engaged in friendly conversation, as opposed to making them nervous. Hope to see you there!

The Oly capitol police and the WSP are very well versed on Open Carry and they have never been a problem, even with someone asking them to disarm us. They resonded, totally legal, no, we won't ask them to disarm (OC) (that was last year.

This idea that you are doing something wrong by being legally armed is exactly the problem.
No it's not the problem, or the issue. The issue is the freedom to own a particular firearm and accessories is in jeopardy. None of the anti's there will give a damn about our right to carry, 2A issues etc. Therefore keeping this in context with regard to the specific issue IS the problem and not deviating from it. Anything, no matter how slight, including OC/CC will only detract from the primary goal.

Our Oligarchs are masters at 'Public Relations' via people that were brilliant pioneers at manipulating the masses such as Edward Bernais.

The greatest motivator is of course fear, and with that comes the possibility of the failure of the status quo.

The image of people walking around with guns/rifles exposed gives them the visual stimulus to instill fear. It isn't something that is normally seen, so the reaction is negative from the majority who want stability, comfort, and false security.

With the right presentation and wording via their media they can convince the 98% that a rose pedal is a deadly weapon that should be banned.

Whatever is done by open carry people at this event, no matter how benevolent, will be twisted by the government media to benefit the control agenda. That is just the way it is; no changing that fact.

Control, where it is forcing people not to say certain things and stay in the herd aka 'political correctness', or not own firearms, is what they are about. They already have all the wealth that they could ever want (they print their own fiat money at will) so the only thing left for them to get their rocks off is social control. Slowly turning everyone into non-thinking chipped drones, bit by bit.

At least if you are into open carry/2A, know your real enemy, what they want, and how they plan on getting it done. Your 2A adversary isn't what puppet happens to be occupying the White House at any given time. That person is just an underling, a tool who follows the edicts of his masters.

The selection of the day is already taking heat because of it being MLK Day weekend.Same thing that happened a couple years back when Glenn Beck held an event that weekend. I will be armed in Salem...with high capacity poster board and semi-auto Sharpies! Someone else will need to bring the assault bongos and military-style patchouli.

This is great advise,we all should heed it

You all that agree with this statement need to quit forcing it on people that want to open carry at this event and make them think they are doing somthing wrong or illegal.

Bottom line is that people that want to open carry at this event have the wright to if they want to just as much as others who want to conceal carry or not bring a gun at all!

And if you disagree with open carry at this event you do not need to confront people who are open carrying at this even and cause a scene!

Oh I won't be confronting ya'all folks with your guns on display. I won't be there, because of all the open carry nuts. Good luck. Especially good luck to any non-nuts that decide to openly carry a firearm down there. I hope you don't wind up suffering for the stupidity of others. Lord knows, all of us responsible gun owners will suffer a PR hit from the "Armed Gun Rights Protesters March on State Capitol" headlines. Know your audience. Perception is important.

Whatever is done by open carry people at this event, no matter how benevolent, will be twisted by the government media to benefit the control agenda. That is just the way it is; no changing that fact.

Burt, you are wrong here. Last year (and the year before) when gun legislation came up in Oly, many people (300? or so) showed up to support our A1/S24 (WA version of the 2A). Most of those, including the 13 that spoke to the legislature, were Open Carrying their arms (pistols, not rifles) We had no problem with the Capitol Police, we had no problem with the Media, the only "problem child" was the spokeman for Ceasefire WA, (a transplant from NY) and he was put down by the police, and was remined, open carried firearms are totally legal in WA, including on the Capitol Grounds, no license required.

Oh I won't be confronting ya'all folks with your guns on display. I won't be there, because of all the open carry nuts. Good luck. Especially good luck to any non-nuts that decide to openly carry a firearm down there. I hope you don't wind up suffering for the stupidity of others. Lord knows, all of us responsible gun owners will suffer a PR hit from the "Armed Gun Rights Protesters March on State Capitol" headlines. Know your audience. Perception is important.

Responsible? So, If you hide your weapon like a criminal, you are a Responsibel gun owner?

So you hide your weapon as if you were ashamed to be seen as a gun owner? Why don't you come out of the closet. The more openly carried firearms that are NOT involved in criminal activity, the more people will become familiur with the concept, and fear of the unknown is a real problem. Also, with many people openly carrying their firearm, and nothing happens...when the press demonizes guns, they will just earn less credibility.

Or is it that you too have bought into the Brady lies, that "GUNS ARE INTRINSICALLY EVIL?" and have no redeaming features????

You probably would not have a problem with making full automatics illegal, after all, you do not own one, and see no need for them?????

Carry a well thought out PG or cleaner rated sign and behave like grown ups. If this ends up on TV the last thing anyone needs is a negligent discharge or a nasty sign or screaming an yelling.

We need NUMBERS THAT IS IT JUST A WHOLE CRAP LOAD OF WELL BEHAVED PEOPLE STANDING AROUND HOLDING SIGNS OFFERING THEIR POINT OF VIEW.

500 people screaming and yelling packing AR's and AK's just exactly what the media would love to put on the 5:00 5:30 6:00 and 11:00 news WITH THEIR VOICE OVER COMMENTS.

Yeah! The last thing we need to do is exercise our gun rights while fighting for our gun rights. We need to make a good impression on the media that spins everything to their advantage every chance they get so maybe they will start playing fair. Makes sense.

American Express - don't leave home without it.

I have NO problem with the open carry of a side arm for personal protection, even at this event. I dont have a problem with AR15s and AK 47s hanging on a shoulder, however with the amount of armed citizens that will be there I seriously doubt you will need them for personal protection. And if you are a doing it to prove a point..... you simply are not that bright.
So If you bring your "Black Rifles" and they ban them you should step back, look in the mirror and say "self..... though we made a point we hurt our cause and now look at where we are."
If you dont need it at the capitol for defense or offense then you no better than these kids with these coffee can exhuast pipes that scream LOOK AT ME!!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!!!

Responsible? So, If you hide your weapon like a criminal, you are a Responsibel gun owner?

So you hide your weapon as if you were ashamed to be seen as a gun owner? Why don't you come out of the closet. The more openly carried firearms that are NOT involved in criminal activity, the more people will become familiur with the concept, and fear of the unknown is a real problem. Also, with many people openly carrying their firearm, and nothing happens...when the press demonizes guns, they will just earn less credibility.

Or is it that you too have bought into the Brady lies, that "GUNS ARE INTRINSICALLY EVIL?" and have no redeaming features????

You probably would not have a problem with making full automatics illegal, after all, you do not own one, and see no need for them?????

Hard to tell where to start here.
First, I am an actively serving US service member, I carry openly when I am hunting, camping, hiking, or up in the wilderness for any reason. When I am driving my car, I have two firearms within arms reach, and when I am in public, I carry concealed for a lot of reasons. Foremost among them is that I don't want to bring attention to myself. I am not so delusional as to think that if I carry a weapon on my hip every day, eventually the waitress at Shari's will get used to it. I have too many things to do, and public perception is what it is. The idea of a world where everyone openly carries a sidearm is a failed one. That ship sailed long long ago, and will not be back. It's best to accept it.
Second, the idea of having every Joe Snuffy who can afford a .38 strapping a pistol on their hip at the bar is not one that seems safe or inviting to me.
Third, I absolutely support severe restrictions on civilian ownership of fully automatic weapons, if not an outright ban.
Fourth, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, we will not win anyone to our side of this argument by spitefully shoving our rights in their faces. That is exactly how rifle and handgun wielding protesters on the steps of the capitol building will be perceived. If we are to convince people that we are a respectful group of hobbyists and responsible self-defense minded individuals, we must show that respect and responsibility to them.

Hard to tell where to start here.
First, I am an actively serving US service member, I carry openly when I am hunting, camping, hiking, or up in the wilderness for any reason. When I am driving my car, I have two firearms within arms reach, and when I am in public, I carry concealed for a lot of reasons. Foremost among them is that I don't want to bring attention to myself. I am not so delusional as to think that if I carry a weapon on my hip every day, eventually the waitress at Shari's will get used to it. I have too many things to do, and public perception is what it is. The idea of a world where everyone openly carries a sidearm is a failed one. That ship sailed long long ago, and will not be back. It's best to accept it.
Second, the idea of having every Joe Snuffy who can afford a .38 strapping a pistol on their hip at the bar is not one that seems safe or inviting to me.
Third, I absolutely support severe restrictions on civilian ownership of fully automatic weapons, if not an outright ban.
Fourth, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, we will not win anyone to our side of this argument by spitefully shoving our rights in their faces. That is exactly how rifle and handgun wielding protesters on the steps of the capitol building will be perceived. If we are to convince people that we are a respectful group of hobbyists and responsible self-defense minded individuals, we must show that respect and responsibility to them.

I spent 8 years in the US military, and have the highest security clearance available, the background check even interviewing my relative in Canada, Germany and Sweden...but that has nothing to do with any of this.

I open carry unless the weather dictates a heavy coat. I open carryfor several reason, the biggest, in my 42 years of carry I have found, and ounce prevention is worth a pound of cure. Those that would do my or mine harm, just leave me alone. Works fine, lasts long time.

However, that is not my beef withwhat you wrote...It is your position on full auto. I personally do not own a full auto, and do not really care to...because I do not want to feed it. If someone else is purchasing the ammo, full auto is fine, buy I don't want to be the one to either buy, or load that much ammo. Same goes for a mini-gun.

IMHO: If the military has it, civilians should be able to have it...yes, that includes a fully equipped Abrams tank, or Cobra chopper, mini-gun, puff or whatever. There are two reasons for this, The first is if there ever was a foreign invader, they second is, to put the government, force will be responded to with force...That is what the 2A is all about.

And please, in the interest of all that is good and pure, use spell check before painting your sign. ;-)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top