JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you going to open carry on the 19th?

• Total voters

We need NUMBERS THAT IS IT JUST A WHOLE CRAP LOAD OF WELL BEHAVED PEOPLE STANDING AROUND HOLDING SIGNS OFFERING THEIR POINT OF VIEW.

NOT what the media will call GUN NUTS PACKING HEAT.

500 people screaming and yelling packing AR's and AK's just exactly what the media would love to put on the 5:00 5:30 6:00 and 11:00 news WITH THEIR VOICE OVER COMMENTS.

While I personally don't think open carrying AR-15s will help our cause, specifically because the media WILL cover it the way they covered the two young men in Portland - "OMG! BLACK GUNS! And they claim they're just exercising their rights..." But if you feel like carrying, well, whatever floats your boat. I think it would be more effective with wood-stock rifles, not black-polymer, but again, whatever. I'm not going to open carry.

But a big "yes" to the signs. Thoughtful signs, not ones that are designed to inflame - and be calm and polite. Any "chants" should be "positive" chants, done calmly, not screaming angrily. We want this group to be seen as "responsible, calm, concerned citizens speaking for their rights" not "a bunch of screaming gun nuts."

I'll just chime in with my two cents on this. First everyone make sure you know the law. There are time place and method restrictions that have been on the books for these places. I am assuming that we are coming together to show support for the inherent rights that are referred to in the second amendment and not to show off hardware. We are also coming together to send a message to our elected representatives (not leaders, I have never voted for a leader) that we do represent a sizable voting block and are active. Finally, we will be judged by those who are at home and there will be more at home then at the capital. The point being made by the poster warning against open carry is we do not want to look like these guys

nsm+border.jpg

or these guys

panthersatcapitol.jpg

because we will be lumped in with them and our voice opinions and message will be cast aside just like their's because they showed themselves to be not representative of everyday Americans but extremists. And the fear that is being used by our opposition will well up in those people at home watching this on the news and there support and vote will belong to that opposition. We must be thoughtful in our action and responsible with our firearms. Know the law and think beyond the knee jerk reaction to get into someone's face over a issue you are passionate about and think long term. As for me the allows for concealed carry in Olympia at the capital mall, and I will make the decision whether I want to or not and if someone asks if I am carrying (especially the media) I'll let them know it's my right to do so legally and it is none of there concern if I am.

By the way maybe you are an extremist and maybe you want to be in everyone's face to spark the revolution. 1. take a breath and 2. maybe sit this one out if that's what you going for. We aren't there yet, and this is an attempt exercise the rights of free speech and freedom to assemble to protect the right to keep and bear arms, not the reverse.

panthersatcapitol.jpg

Last Edited:
Please forgive me for drawing this parallel. If you were to simply participate in a gay pride march, any outside observers would assume you support gay rights. Dressing like a drag queen and making out with another similarly fancy individual would do nothing to further the cause. It only further alienates anyone who already opposed or was on the fence about the issue at hand. All I'm saying is that your attendance IS support. Open carry won't likely be a positive addition. No one's "in the closet" about their support of 2A if they choose not to carry.
...and no, I've never been in any parades:s0114:.

I'll be there in spirit. My student-level income doesn't afford me the gas to drive to Olympia.

All points made here are, for the most part, highly intelligent and well thought out. The message we should be sending to the world is one of unity and respect, and instead we sit her squabbling over who is right or wrong about whether or not to carry, and beyond that, concealed or open.

As someone who grew up with guns and had my rights taken away and I had to file not only a petition for vacating and sealing of my records but also a petition to have my rights reinstated, I am loathe to lose them again. Please don't do anything (carrying or not) that would jeopardize the future of gun rights for others. If you're going to do something stupid (like point your barrel towards people, imbibing while carrying, or other obvious signs of a lack of gun safety knowledge and respect) I would ask that you stay at home and participate in spirit. If that means that you go up in the mountain and pop off a few thousand rounds, then so be it, at least you aren't making the rest of us look bad. As for those that are attending, please look nice. I don't mean wear a suit.... but let's not look like a bunch of gun-crazy hicks from the sticks. Also, those that are carrying signs instead of guns.... please make sure your message is peaceful and well constructed. Don't play the finger pointing game. We're not there to point the blame at anyone, we're there to support our rights. And please spell check.... I don't want the next meme I see to be about the ignorance of gun owners.....

That's my $0.02....

The point Mark is trying to make is that the libs and the media need to see responsible,normal people who own and carry guns. By letting them portray us as extremists, and acting like it, we will only feed into the stereotype that Feinstein and the rest of the mongrels want to portray us as to further their agenda.

Oh I won't be confronting ya'all folks with your guns on display. I won't be there, because of all the open carry nuts. Good luck. Especially good luck to any non-nuts that decide to openly carry a firearm down there. I hope you don't wind up suffering for the stupidity of others. Lord knows, all of us responsible gun owners will suffer a PR hit from the "Armed Gun Rights Protesters March on State Capitol" headlines. Know your audience. Perception is important.

First off I would like to say that I have been very mature and respectful on this thread that I have started and in the replies I have posted. I have not done any name calling, bullying or any of that sort.

But now you have to start with the name calling and being very rude!

Everyone please remember that it is not just about the "assault rifles" being taken away and here is why, If they ban the "assault rifles" that just opens the gates for them to ban all guns.

That is why I am going to to be open carrying on the 19th.

I want to make another thing clear is that I am not a hard core open carrier that goes out with a rifle just to get attention and I do not believe it is a good idea for some one to walk around with rifle as it is just unnecessary and is not worth the trouble it causes, but who am I to judge some one who does do so? I will just not let it bug me and keep my opinions to myself cause it is there choice if they want to do that.

I have never opened carried a riffle and I never will.

Like I said in my original post I conceal carry 98% of the time. When I do open carry it is usually in the summer camping and going for walks in my neighborhood or just whenever the mood strikes.

When I do open carry on the 19th it will just be my pistol and nothing more!

Concealed carry is not allowed on military installations in the US unless your rate is MA or MOS MP. Firearms are kept in the armory and signed out before going to the range of field exercise. Personal arms have to be kept in a safe at home or in the base armory. It depends on the bases commanding officer what the regulations are on firearms. Now in a theater of war all sailors and marines are required to keep their weapons on them and full accountability at all times. We always had our weapons in condition four and clearing barrels were at all galleys. NO ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGES! OR CAPTAINS MAST. Furthermore, could not have accidental discharge in condition four. Soldiers were allow ed to put their weapons on the deck while eating but Marines, Sailor, and Seabees could not take their weapons off them while in the galley. Military requirements regarding firerams is much more restrictive then civilians, at least that has been my experience.......... OEF veteran

Why are we just talking modern firearms? (Assault weapon needs to be a banned word) we need a few people rock shotguns, long distance rifles, sbr's and cans

I'll be there in spirit. My student-level income doesn't afford me the gas to drive to Olympia.

All points made here are, for the most part, highly intelligent and well thought out. The message we should be sending to the world is one of unity and respect, and instead we sit her squabbling over who is right or wrong about whether or not to carry, and beyond that, concealed or open.

As someone who grew up with guns and had my rights taken away and I had to file not only a petition for vacating and sealing of my records but also a petition to have my rights reinstated, I am loathe to lose them again. Please don't do anything (carrying or not) that would jeopardize the future of gun rights for others. If you're going to do something stupid (like point your barrel towards people, imbibing while carrying, or other obvious signs of a lack of gun safety knowledge and respect) I would ask that you stay at home and participate in spirit. If that means that you go up in the mountain and pop off a few thousand rounds, then so be it, at least you aren't making the rest of us look bad. As for those that are attending, please look nice. I don't mean wear a suit.... but let's not look like a bunch of gun-crazy hicks from the sticks. Also, those that are carrying signs instead of guns.... please make sure your message is peaceful and well constructed. Don't play the finger pointing game. We're not there to point the blame at anyone, we're there to support our rights. And please spell check.... I don't want the next meme I see to be about the ignorance of gun owners.....

That's my $0.02....

Eternal, if you can make it to Portland, you could ride with me to Salem. While, not your state, you could still show solidarity. Don't know your economic situation but, offering you an option.

If you want to choose to not exercise your rights then that is fine, but you need to quit bullying people who choose to exercise thier right given to them by the second amendment!

Agreed, thank you. I never trust anyone that speaks on behalf of others. I will do as I please. I happen to have a different take than those who find open carry distasteful. That is fine, but I WILL be carrying my unloaded rifle. I'll be the guy in black slacks and a tie. If you want to come over and spit on me in destain, feel free, I'm very friendly.

I have NO problem with the open carry of a side arm for personal protection, even at this event. I dont have a problem with AR15s and AK 47s hanging on a shoulder, however with the amount of armed citizens that will be there I seriously doubt you will need them for personal protection. And if you are a doing it to prove a point..... you simply are not that bright.
So If you bring your "Black Rifles" and they ban them you should step back, look in the mirror and say "self..... though we made a point we hurt our cause and now look at where we are."
If you dont need it at the capitol for defense or offense then you no better than these kids with these coffee can exhuast pipes that scream LOOK AT ME!!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!!!
Oh brother! :s0112:

I'm looking forward to all the open carry! It gonna be awesome for show and tell, meet to peeps, do some networking.

Too many of you are playing there game of political correctness. This is are country too! We have the right to open carry. Those who feel its not for them, great! But it's still are right and those who want shall. This is our rally!

Eternal, if you can make it to Portland, you could ride with me to Salem. While, not your state, you could still show solidarity. Don't know your economic situation but, offering you an option.

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, until I know what my tax return will be (waiting on school to process how much I can claim for education costs for tuition after financial aid) and whether or not I will get one, I can't afford gas for anything more than to go get gas, go to school, go buy food, or sit in the driveway (engine off) :p

So instead, I wrote my governor as well as Biden a little message through their online contact options. Not that I expect either of them to ever see it themselves.... but it's something.

I'll just chime in with my two cents on this. First everyone make sure you know the law. There are time place and method restrictions that have been on the books for these places. As someone who prosecutes those that violate the law I will tell you now I don't particularly care why you violate the law and ignorance is not a defense. I am assuming that we are coming together to show support for the inherent rights that are referred to in the second amendment and not to show off hardware. We are also coming together to send a message to our elected representatives (not leaders, I have never voted for a leader) that we do represent a sizable voting block and are active. Finally, we will be judged by those who are at home and there will be more at home then at the capital. The point being made by the poster warning against open carry is we do not want to look like these guys

nsm+border.jpg

or these guys

because we will be lumped in with them and our voice opinions and message will be cast aside just like their's because they showed themselves to be not representative of everyday Americans but extremists. And the fear that is being used by our opposition will well up in those people at home watching this on the news and there support and vote will belong to that opposition. We must be thoughtful in our action and responsible with our firearms. Know the law and think beyond the knee jerk reaction to get into someone’s face over a issue you are passionate about and think long term. As for me the allows for concealed carry in Olympia at the capital mall, and I will make the decision whether I want to or not and if someone asks if I am carrying (especially the media) I'll let them know it's my right to do so legally and it is none of there concern if I am.

By the way maybe you are an extremist and maybe you want to be in everyone’s face to spark the revolution. 1. take a breath and 2. maybe sit this one out if that's what you going for. We aren't there yet, and this is an attempt exercise the rights of free speech and freedom to assemble to protect the right to keep and bear arms, not the reverse.

Then, if you are a DA/PA, you would also know..you cannot conceal on the capitol grounds without a CPL, but you can OC, Rifle or pistol, without any permit from the King. Eh?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top