JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you going to open carry on the 19th?

• Total voters
I will be there, legally concealed. My aim is to make my voice heard, to finally get off my *** and protest in person something for the first time in my life. Before I always let my vote and wallet speak for me. Now I feel the need to march and peacefully assemble in order to get my message across. A smartly worded picket sign will achieve far more in this situation than slinging my AR over my shoulder. As stated earlier, I don't need to take my rights for a jog around the capital, I need to show a massed, peaceful protest that presents solidarity among gun owners to protect my rights.

Since I don't leave the house without it and in the years that it's been on my side... I'll have to say I will be carrying.

We done bubbleguming about opinions yet?

My prediction regarding media coverage will be these 3 options:
1. IF there is visible open carry with no incident;
-Footage of "gun wielding radical protesters intimidating law makers and citizens".
2. IF there is any legal infractions (pushing, shoving, etc) or negligent discharge;
-Footage of police arresting "violent gun wielding radical protesters intimidating law makers and citizens".
3. If there is NO open carry or legal infraction;
-Mention of traffic congestion in the area that may affect locals' commute times during traffic report.

My point? There will be no positive reporting even if it's a perfectly behaved group of law abiding citizens. But even the appearance of gun nuttery will be exploited and editorialized. Being polite, informed, and non-threatening will win more converts.

A little tact and respectfulness of other people's viewpoints will do much more good for our cause (or nearly any other) than flaunting our right to carry weapons in their faces.

If we're trying to convince people that we are sane, reasonable people just like them, then we should not have firearms. If you're trying to impress the other right-wing gun owners, strap up. Just know that every news report of protesters wearing guns will be designed to be as stereotypically frightening as possible to all those voters out there. The guy with dirty facial hair, a broken nose, a mullet and a beer-stained Lynyrd Skynyrd shirt who's wearing a S&W .500 on his hip and holding a sign that says "U can hav my guns whin you prye them from my cold dead fingurs fangerrs hands" Is what they're going to show on TV.

A little tact and respectfulness of other people's viewpoints will do much more good for our cause (or nearly any other) than flaunting our right to carry weapons in their faces.

If we're trying to convince people that we are sane, reasonable people just like them, then we should not have firearms. If you're trying to impress the other right-wing gun owners, strap up. Just know that every news report of protesters wearing guns will be designed to be as stereotypically frightening as possible to all those voters out there. The guy with dirty facial hair, a broken nose, a mullet and a beer-stained Lynyrd Skynyrd shirt who's wearing a S&W .500 on his hip and holding a sign that says "U can hav my guns whin you prye them from my cold dead fingurs fangerrs hands" Is what they're going to show on TV.

That's crap. This idea that you are doing something wrong by being legally armed is exactly the problem. The news may spin it but, if people are armed and there are no incidents it will show that you can posses a gun and not go on a murdering spree. Since the 30s guns have been stigmatized as criminal. You must be nefarious if you have a gun. That's bullbubblegum. It's no different than, you must be lazy and illegal if you are Hispanic, or you must be a rich racist if you are white, or you must be a gang banger thug if you are black. We need to fight this stereotype.

My prediction regarding media coverage will be these 3 options:
1. IF there is visible open carry with no incident;
-Footage of "gun wielding radical protesters intimidating law makers and citizens".
2. IF there is any legal infractions (pushing, shoving, etc) or negligent discharge;
-Footage of police arresting "violent gun wielding radical protesters intimidating law makers and citizens".
3. If there is NO open carry or legal infraction;
-Mention of traffic congestion in the area that may affect locals' commute times during traffic report.

My point? There will be no positive reporting even if it's a perfectly behaved group of law abiding citizens. But even the appearance of gun nuttery will be exploited and editorialized. Being polite, informed, and non-threatening will win more converts.

There absolutely MUST be no "INCIDENTS"...but your idea on OC is WRONG. We are talking about proclaiming our support for the 2A...a bunch of people walking around with signs, but no weapons show they have been defeated already.

What you want the camaras to show is 1000's of people demonstrating peacefully, visibly armed, and NOTHING HAPPENED! That is what the news camaras need to see.

Open carry or not, the people we hope to persuade are very stubborn. What will get their attention is numbers. Get every family and friend who supports the cause and show up in great numbers.

That's crap. This idea that you are doing something wrong by being legally armed is exactly the problem. The news may spin it but, if people are armed and there are no incidents it will show that you can posses a gun and not go on a murdering spree. Since the 30s guns have been stigmatized as criminal. You must be nefarious if you have a gun. That's bullbubblegum. It's no different than, you must be lazy and illegal if you are Hispanic, or you must be a rich racist if you are white, or you must be a gang banger thug if you are black. We need to fight this stereotype.

I agree that it's crap. It's also reality. Open carry at this demonstration will do more damage to the 2nd amendment than good.

I think I'll go with concealed and open carry, you know, just in case. Maybe if we get enough folks they will call out the national guard! Just like Kent state.

Why are we marching the capitol on a Saturday? Won't they be closed?

National Gun Appreciation Day. It's our chance as legal gun owners to show our numbers in front of an audience that matters - the lawmakers. If all goes well, and this peaceful gathering wraps up without a hitch, it may be a segway story on the evening news. On the other hand, if we rally and end up bickering with each other for four hours, and get riled up and start waving guns around you can bet your spare magazine that we will be on the front page labelled as "wacko's" and "extremist".
On the 19th we need to dress nice, play nice, and carry politely worded "family-friendly" signs. Carry as you normally would, don't make a scene, and for God's sake keep your rifles at home. In Olympia there will be a huge police prescence so it would be best to keep the law engaged in friendly conversation, as opposed to making them nervous. Hope to see you there!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top