JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even if I had a registered SBR receiver, I would still be moving forward with this Firearm project. I would like to get this thread back on topic. If you would like to carry on with further discussion regarding Form 1 builds please take that discussion here or to one of the other Form 1 or SBR threads.

This thread also welcomes BATF Fanboi club members to espouse their support for BATF extortion fees.

Even if I had a registered SBR receiver, I would still be moving forward with this Firearm project. I would like to get this thread back on topic. If you would like to carry on with further discussion regarding Form 1 builds please take that discussion here or to one of the other Form 1 or SBR threads.

According to your opening statement, it's been on topic the entire time. You asked for BATF fanbois to state their support, a few did and defended their position. I also recall a finances related, self imposed spending deep freeze so frankly, I'm not sure it's wise to pursue any projects at this time.

I'm going to back up team fanboi again and state that since this isn't a pistol, it's not concealable anyway per letter of the law as I understand it. You're much better off keeping out of any gray areas and getting an SBR lower registered. Build it any way you like and if it happened to be you legally make a rifle unintentionally, you're not gonna spend any time in club fed. If you did end up there over a technicality, that $200 would look pretty cheap.

According to your opening statement, it's been on topic the entire time. You asked for BATF fanbois to state their support, a few did and defended their position. I also recall a finances related, self imposed spending deep freeze so frankly, I'm not sure it's wise to pursue any projects at this time.

I'm going to back up team fanboi again and state that since this isn't a pistol, it's not concealable anyway per letter of the law as I understand it. You're much better off keeping out of any gray areas and getting an SBR lower registered. Build it any way you like and if it happened to be you legally make a rifle unintentionally, you're not gonna spend any time in club fed. If you did end up there over a technicality, that $200 would look pretty cheap.
Touche, fixed it.

Spending freeze isn't going very well I have spent $310 between four different NWFA members, $160 at Cabelas and $40ish at Bimart and the month isn't even half over yet. I am trying to do projects that can make use of parts I have on hand or can trade for. I have everything I need for this project except for possibly a 9mm barrel in the right length.

Spending freeze isn't going very well I have spent $310 between four different NWFA members, $160 at Cabelas and $40ish at Bimart and the month isn't even half over yet. I am trying to do projects that can make use of parts I have on hand or can trade for. I have everything I need for this project except for possibly a 9mm barrel in the right length.
Another $85 was committed to go out the door as I found a NWFA member with a 9mm barrel in the ideal length for my Firearm project.

Let's recap that we'll buy a $200 trigger, a $500 optic, another $200 barrel, PLUS a spare, a $50 BCG (wtf), a $250 rail, a $100 muzzle device to go with the $1k supressor which you will pay $200 for anyway but the $200 fee for an SBR is where the line is drawn. Makes sense.
One of those things is not like the other! That being the 200$ paid to a non-elected federal agency that can arbitrarily limit Constitutional Rights!

I purchased a suppressor last March (which I still haven't been approved for), so I've gone against my principles for the sake of a device I really want. As such I don't want to come across as hypocritical.

However, just because I sold my soul doesn't mean I'm going to pile on someone else who is sticking to their principles!

@arakboss Your project makes no sense to me, but I'm with you on standing your ground and doing everything you can to subvert unconstitutional restrictions! 👍

One of those things is not like the other! That being the 200$ paid to a non-elected federal agency that can arbitrarily limit Constitutional Rights!

I purchased a suppressor last March (which I still haven't been approved for), so I've gone against my principles for the sake of a device I really want. As such I don't want to come across as hypocritical.

However, just because I sold my soul doesn't mean I'm going to pile on someone else who is sticking to their principles!

@arakboss Your project makes no sense to me, but I'm with you on standing your ground and doing everything you can to subvert unconstitutional restrictions! 👍
Regarding your tax stamp payment for suppressor. That is one item that is near impossible to duplicate and legally own without a tax stamp.

Most of the benefits of an SBR are easily and legally achieved with a pistol or Firearm. I don't see the value in a SBR tax stamp for that reason.

Comments like this are why I keep asking for an eye roll reaction. This'll have to do :rolleyes:

Comments like this are why I keep asking for an eye roll reaction. This'll have to do :rolleyes:
I hope you get it!

In the meantime, I will keep hoping for a "derailed thread" reaction. For when people visit a thread called "AR Firearm Project…" and then turn it into a tax-stamp shaming session lol

Live and let live!

I am adding a second part to this Firearm (26+ OAL two hand operation) project. Instead of starting another thread I will include details and progress of this upper only firearm here. I had mentioned this idea in another old thread and that idea was to make an operational firearm from an AR upper only with no lower receiver.

I have looked into the legality of this and believe it will be necessary to build this as a "Firearm". It will not have a stock so it can't be a rifle. It will be designed to operate with two hands so it can't be a pistol. That leaves the catagory of AOW if it's under 26 inches OAL or a Firearm if it's over 26 inches in OAL. Barrel length will only be important to OAL. I think most know how I feel about NFA tax stamps so I will be running this set up as a "Firearm".

The upper only firearm will be a single shot breech loader.
I will use a right hand side charging upper with 20 inch 223 wylde barrel and no extension tube. I'm still working on ideas for the triggering mechanism to drive the firing pin but I am leaning towards something really simple. One hand will be used to hold the upper and the second hand will be used to drive the firing pin. A piece of rod attached to the firing pin would probably be sufficient to work the firing pin back and forth.

I am expecting very little accuracy from this set up so all live fire testing will be done at my cabin's local cinder pit. I may test the firing pin operation with some deactivated primers.

It's a pretty much useless project that will be free to nearly free for me to build. I will have some enjoy making something unique but still legal.

I am adding a second part to this Firearm (26+ OAL two hand operation) project. Instead of starting another thread I will include details and progress of this upper only firearm here. I had mentioned this idea in another old thread and that idea was to make an operational firearm from an AR upper only with no lower receiver.

I have looked into the legality of this and believe it will be necessary to build this as a "Firearm". It will not have a stock so it can't be a rifle. It will be designed to operate with two hands so it can't be a pistol. That leaves the catagory of AOW if it's under 26 inches OAL or a Firearm if it's over 26 inches in OAL. Barrel length will only be important to OAL. I think most know how I feel about NFA tax stamps so I will be running this set up as a "Firearm".

The upper only firearm will be a single shot breech loader.
I will use a right hand side charging upper with 20 inch 223 wylde barrel and no extension tube. I'm still working on ideas for the triggering mechanism to drive the firing pin but I am leaning towards something really simple. One hand will be used to hold the upper and the second hand will be used to drive the firing pin. A piece of rod attached to the firing pin would probably be sufficient to work the firing pin back and forth.

I am expecting very little accuracy from this set up so all live fire testing will be done at my cabin's local cinder pit. I may test the firing pin operation with some deactivated primers.

It's a pretty much useless project that will be free to nearly free for me to build. I will have some enjoy making something unique but still legal.
Here is a mock up of what I had in mind. Measured without trigger mechanism I get 27.25 inches and with trigger mechanism pushed all the way into firing pin, I get 29.25 inches. Plenty safe to qualify as "Firearm".

20220211_092832.jpg

20220211_092859.jpg

20220211_092847.jpg

This will probably be limited to shooting from the hip (cowboy style). A steel bolt might make a better firing pin driver. Before I carve out the A2 grip to fit the penlight I think I will head down to Ace and see if I can find a bolt that will fit nicely down the middle of the BCG. Then I can grind the grip end of the bolt with square sides to fit snug inside the A2 grip. Not sure how I complete the final attachment of the bolt to grip but you can rest assured it will be full ghetto.

1644602901789.png

Last Edited:
Here is a mock up of what I had in mind. Measured without trigger mechanism I get 27.25 inches and with trigger mechanism pushed all the way into firing pin, I get 29.25 inches. Plenty safe to qualify as "Firearm".

View attachment 1129222

View attachment 1129220

View attachment 1129221

This will probably be limited to shooting from the hip (cowboy style). A steel bolt might make a better firing pin driver. Before I carve out the A2 grip to fit the penlight I think I will head down to Ace and see if I can find a bolt that will fit nicely down the middle of the BCG. Then I can grind the grip end of the bolt with square sides to fit snug inside the A2 grip. Not sure how I complete the final attachment of the bolt to grip but you can rest assured it will be full ghetto.

View attachment 1129224
Are you being serious or are you just joking around here?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top