JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Amen. Still, it's a responsibility thing on the part of dog owners to know the breed and to train them well.

Just like children.
Kinda like gun ownership.

Personally, I've had far worse luck with labs and Chihuahuas.

Theodore's a sweetheart, service animal trained: 1514251382562-777779517.jpg
Macabre is a Christmas princess: 1514251417139-660800482.jpg

I am okay with pit bulls. Most dogs that attack are called pitbulls regardless of what they really are. Just like to the press every gun is an AR15 or an AK 47. Most people can't accurately tell a pitbull from numerous other breeds. Now I have two Olde English Bulldogges that could beat up pit bulls and take their lunch money, but they would rather snuggle someone. They are remarkably docile and good with kids, but my male is 85lbs of lean muscle. Unless you are a squirrel he is harmless.

Seems like an upstanding citizen and pet owner.

"Bell County Sheriff's Department said they discovered the dogs belonged to Johnny Dale Lankford, 42, who was already being held in the Bell County Detention Center on charges from Friday, December 22nd for assault 2nd degree, domestic violence, unlawful imprisonment 2nd degree and a bench warrant."

The topic was about having a plan.

Not a slim chance to convince people to stray from their opposing opinion(s), there is no tangible way to predict what an injury-capable dog might or might not do, there is no way to control how some people employ their injury-capable dogs, and good luck expecting the local jurisdiction to enforce the laws regarding pets....

Have a plan! :s0013:

If any known threat can close the distance of @ 50 meters in @ 2 or 3 seconds, then it should be obvious that people cannot afford to let their guard down; particularly if they know an injury-capable threat is in the vic.

Being unwilling to change mission when a possible threat introduces itself, is a recepie for disaster.

Being unwilling to run family members through threat drills is another recepie for disaster.

Giving up the utopian nice-neighbor personality and confronting possible threats isn't fun, but teaching a neighbor to respect what is not theirs and securing their pets is my definition of "loving your neighbor".

The irony is staggering; a handyman must have a license, bond, and insurance to work in Oregon, but nothing similar to own a fast running 35+ pounds carnivore with teeth?

Have a plan, we are on our own.

other than a puppy nipping and learning wrong from right from their master, i was raised on the notion that a dog doesnt get to bite without consequence (when its not provoked...and its not the dogs fault ) a dog was always a tool growing up on a farm and if it decided it was going to be a dog that bites, it gets "taken care of"

i cant count on one hand how many dogs ive had to "take care of" as a young boy.

a year or two ago i got bit by my MILs dog unprovoked.

i even started a thread about it.

it took 150% of everything i had to not drag that SOB outside and put a bullet in it....

not my dog. not my decision.

the dog went un disciplined after this incident

i made it perfectly clear to my inlaws that their POS dog is no longer allowed in the same room as my kids or we will not be visiting... works out as good as i could have hoped.

To compare the breed of Pit Bulls to guns is somewhat of a false comparison, a neglected gun left on it's own won't suddenly be "set off" and attack someone all on it's own. I don't know if there has ever been a case recorded of a poorly trained or neglected gun running around terrorizing a neighborhood or intentionally escaping/overpowering it's owner's retention or escaping it's case and mauling another dog, kid, or delivery guy.
Like the Chow and some other breeds, the Pit Bull was created to fight and to keep fighting and keep on fighting until it wins or dies, or to intimidate. They do what they do because people made them that way. Their behavior traits have been bred-in over many years to the point that they can't be trusted in situations that the dog, not a passer by or it's owner, finds stressful. They, unlike say the German Shepherd, are generally too independently aggressive for even training as war dogs (at least as they are currently used). The only way to correct that purposely bred-in trait is to breed it out of them over the course of many, many generations.
Otherwise it's like owning a thoroughbred Arabian and being surprised that it tends to be high-strung, skittish and likes to run.

(just my strongly held personal opinion, but you can consider it worth the paper it's written on if you like.)

Last Edited:
OK, so as far as a plan, I keep my distance from humans and animals alike that I don't know. I carry a Shield 9mm if I'm awake along with a Benchmade Infidel on my strong side. Plan is to go for my Shield, and if that fails or I'm in full guard use my right arm as bait/defense (I'm a leftie) and draw the Infidel with my left and go for an eye.

To compare the breed of Pit Bulls to guns is somewhat of a false comparison, a neglected gun left on it's own won't suddenly be "set off" and attack someone all on it's own. I don't know if there has ever been a case recorded of a poorly trained or neglected gun running around terrorizing a neighborhood or intentionally escaping/overpowering it's owner's retention or escaping it's case and mauling another dog, kid, or delivery guy.
Like the Chow and some other breeds, the Pit Bull was created to fight and to keep fighting and keep on fighting until it wins or dies, or to intimidate. They do what they do because people made them that way. Their behavior traits have been bred-in over many years to the point that they can't be trusted in situations that the dog, not a passer by or it's owner, finds stressful. They, unlike say the German Shepherd, are generally too independently aggressive for even training as war dogs (at least as they are currently used). The only way to correct that purposely bred-in trait is to breed it out of them over the course of many, many generations.
Otherwise it's like owning a thoroughbred Arabian and being surprised that it is high-strung, skittish and likes to run.

(just my strongly held personal opinion, but you can consider it worth the paper it's written on if you like.)
Pit bulls were a war dog. They were a rescue breed in WWI. Tough and hardy, there are records of a few hero pit bulls who rescued the wounded and pulled them into the trenches. If you look at US War propoganda, you will see the bulldog as representing britain and a pitbull representing America. The German Shepherd was an attack dog BTW, and scares me more than pit bulls. I have run into more dangerous GSDs than pits. Pits are athletic, and bouncy. I am neither, thus I own a dog that fits my lifestyle. Pits are not naturally human aggressive. They also are not naturally dog aggressive either.

As a bully breed owner, you get mistaken for a pit owner a lot, even though my dogs do NOT look like Pits. Giant, smooshy bulldog faces on a dog that weighs up to twice as much as a true pit, is not hard to differentiate. However, it does give you a glimpse into the world of misinformation out there, as your dogs are treated as monsters. I had an off leash dog, (Papillion) attack my female who was on leash at Washington Park. Their little monster tore my dog's lip. My dog sent that little aggressive thing flying with her paw, and the owner almost punched me for my "aggressive dog." My dog responded with a minimal amount of force.

But the comparison to guns is apt in that the media and police routinely get it wrong. If it attacks, it is called a pit bull no matter what it really is. It could be a GSD, Leonberger, Chow, etc. So the myth persists.

Last Edited:
As far as having a plan, I always prepare myself to put a bullet through the brain pan of every pit I encounter if it comes to it. Yeah maybe I'm a narrow minded dog bigot, but i just dont feel that way about other breeds. Whatever I've been called worse. Sorry, never trusted a one (besides yours, I'm sure they are a sweetheart).:)

Wow, this on a gun forum. How ironic...ban a breed of dog cause it's "bad", but people are idiots when they want to ban our nasty "assault rifles" and "high capacity" magazines. Who needs those things? Only the military for war of course!
Pits are not inherently aggressive or vicious animals, just as guns are not evil. What dumbasses DO with those dogs and guns is far more impactful to all of us.

Slight flaw in your comparison... guns are inanimate objects, dogs (even pit bulls) aren't.

;)

Okay, sorry op for helping derail your thread.

As for being prepared: as others have stated; i keep away from large crowds, carry always, and always keep a heightened state of awareness. For me this means no drugs or alcohol, especially in public. Look, listen, feel.

I do not often go out. Many of my friends feel that i am not present in social gatherings but the ones who know me best, know the reason: I intend on keeping those I love alive, not being a victim and living to see another day(in that order). All this is to say I run my own security.

Any dog, criminal, lunatic, terrorist or belligerent fool that means me or mine harm will die or find themselves heavily damaged before obtaining their violent goals.

Ps, sorry for the terribly bad outline of what I'm trying to convey.

I have a neighbor that has a pit did not tell me he got it I am in the country so it is common to hear shooting I was in the back yard had the 45 five he showed up I said something to it it started growling it took an attack stance and moved closer I put a round in the ground in front of it it jumped I fired again it took off I emptied the 45 it went home saw it later it ran home an got under the bed now it runs at any thing that clicks good pit :)

I work in a very diverse town in Oregon, heavily migrant types. I'm not saying this because I'm racially motivated but, certain types of dog owners don't worry about their dogs getting out on a regular basis. It is not uncommon for the local police dept to call me to assist in the apprehension of a loose pit. My plan is that concealed means concealed. If I had to use deadly force on a dog attacking a child or myself and loose my job, so be it. I couldn't live with myself after watching a child get mauled to death while waiting for the proper authorities to show.

The neighbors 2 pits got out the other night/early morning, charged and attempted to attack my cousin-in-law who lives down the street as he was leaving for work. He was able to get inside without serious injury, but not without having his screen damaged. He didn't take any action other than tell the neighbor to come get his dogs and ask him to a better job keeping them inside. When telling me, I found out that this wasn't the first time. As I wasn't involved I didn't think it was my place to turn them in. As there is 3 very young children in his house, I was kinda pissed at him though.

My grandfather ensured (probably by pressure or threat) that both he and his wife (my cousin) are well trained with firearms. She's even got some weird crazy natural ability with shotguns. I knew they could handle one, so I offered them one of my pistols or a shotgun. Thats when I found out they were both EXTREMELY pro gun-control by receiving a 30 minute tirade about guns being evil. No idea where that came from. He even told me that in this city and in his situation it would have been ¿illegal? to shoot the attacking dogs unless they were in the house!! I laughed at him and tried to correct him and tell him that yes, even in the City of Salem, if your life is in danger, which would be the case if attacked by 2 pits, you can shoot them. Was I wrong? And no, I wouldn't shoot a chihuahua or other small dog that was attacking me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top