JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lets not go down that road of all Pit Bull Dogs are viscous killers...
Any dog can be a "biter" in the proper situation.
It is in the owners best interest to learn their dog and how the dog reacts in various situations...and to teach their dog to behave.

Note to all:
I do know that some dog breeds are prone to more aggressive behavior than others...
But to make a general statement saying that all dogs of breed X are...
Is the same as saying all gun owners are....
General statements are just that , general...and they do not cover every specific case.
Andy

Sadly this breed, which is really a bastardized breed, has just been used for this too long. Dog Eugenics moves VERY fast. The main breed these came from was only a few decades ago known as a GREAT family dog. When I lived in the SW as people began to spread out into the outlay these dogs were often found. They would protect other animals from the 4 legged critters trying to eat them. When the dopers started breeding these things to get just what many are now it soon got out of hand. Now sadly even I am afraid when I see one. Just too many of them that are deadly. The real solution to this is owner being held to account. When one kills or maims the owner should be treated as if they left a loaded gun laying in the front yard. Of course every time any dog has come after me or my dogs the first thing out of owners mouth is "this had never happened before". Normally this it total BS of course.

I will say, for some reason people that shouldn't own ANY breed of dog tend to like to buy pitbulls. Maybe it's a status thing? Bragging rights?
Homeboy 3 trailers down sells nice and cheap.

Not sure why they do it. Maybe both, maybe other. Some people probably get it wanting it to protect the house based on reputation or something?

One would think a pitbull from a good breeder is less likely to be as aggressive, paired with a good owner that is.

Slight flaw in your comparison... guns are inanimate objects, dogs (even pit bulls) aren't.

;)
I concede that point. The comparison to guns was the target. :p

Thing is, Pit bulls were bred to be fighting dogs and VERY human friendly. If a pit bit a human, it was a curr and taken care of. I can see problems with other animal aggression as can be in their nature, but back yard breeders have damaged the reputation of the breed by trying to make them what they are not and producing unstable animals.
Pits were America's dog. Known to be great around kids. Remember "Our Gang" and even RCA records used them as their trademark.
I've owned lots of "evil breed" dogs as well as "evil guns". GSD, Rottweiler, Doberman, and now a pit. My pit has a very intimidating bark, but no natural protection instinct save barking when the doorbell rings, taught to him by my Rotti before she passed. I used to participate in French Ring and did decoy work. Many people used to bring pits to the club for training, but were frustrated they did not bite.
My dog will run for hours after a hide on a spring pole, but won't touch an arm or leg sleeve on a decoy. I won't try to change his nature.
His bite force is tremendous and I can see the damage that he could inflict if he did bite.
My GF little yapping dachshund mix will try to attack someone much faster than most pits would ever think of....granted, in gun world a pit is a 45, dauchshund .22 short.

As far as using a firearm to stop a threat; movement to intercede is a (edit: live fire) drill I highly recommend.

Rarely are the threat, the precious cargo, and the "good guy" in a straight line; usually an obtuse triangle. Moving to get between the threat and the precious cargo is the intercede drill or plan as I call it.

It could be 2 feet like walking side by side, it could be 5 feet like a playground, or it could be 20+ feet like when playing ball or frizbee..

My idea is to buy time for my precious cargo to escape.

A docile pitbull approached my grand daughter at a W.Salem park.
I kept putting myself between her and the injury capable threat; with my non-firing sleeve over the hand, and the other hand on the "last resort" (next resort at that close distance)....edit: because I didn't know the dog or the owner!!!!

Move to intercede; not as easy as some might think.

Homeboy 3 trailers down sells nice and cheap.

Not sure why they do it. Maybe both, maybe other. Some people probably get it wanting it to protect the house based on reputation or something?

One would think a pitbull from a good breeder is less likely to be as aggressive, paired with a good owner that is.
Yep part of being a "responsible breeder" is not breeding dogs that show traits you don't want. Many of the Pits are of course trained for just what they end up with, VERY risky animals. Add to that morons for an owner and this is what you get.

I raised hunting hounds for a lot of years. Coonhounds have a strong hunting drive, and they are murder on small, furry critters (and some larger ones). But in all of those years I only ran into one hound who would bite unprovoked. On the other hand, I have run into many dogs of some breeds who would bite unprovoked. The two most prevalent such breeds are akitas and pit bulls. I consider akitas to be as dangerous as pit bulls. I've seen three instances of akitas apparently fine one second and snapping the next. In all three cases they attacked children under 8 years old. I will not tolerate akitas anywhere near me or my loved ones. Pit bulls run a close second. Individual dogs may be trustworthy, but I have no way of identifying by sight those that are not. And with pit bulls it's often too late by the time you find out. Sorry, that's just my experience.

I have a knife on me at all times. Ever since I came to PDX and lived in inner NE. I've trained in drawing that knife more than I have my carry piece. It's not necessarily ONLY pit owners, though they are generally the major reason to go on high alert, sometimes it could be rotties too. Or, I guess, any dog beast that may get my spidey senses up. When I see one of those pit owners all proudly walking their time bomb I'll have that sheath un snapped and ready to do something if I need to. I'd probably get bit, but that other hand will have that knife buried to the hilt in that damned dog! Lately there's folks that think it's cool to take a pit into a store. I was in Fisherman's at Delta Park a couple of moths ago, at the gun counter, Dude 'n chick walk up behind me with one of them damned things. I ignored them, told the counter help I'll be leaving now, and calmly walked away.

It's my opinion, right or wrong, but if you want to compare a dog to a firearm it would have to be, (was it that Remington shotgun?), that would just go off unexpectedly.

When I was a volunteer at south west washington animal shelter I was a dog walker and the head guy who ran the shelter said we do not rehome pure bread pit bulls / Mix breed pit bulls yes , if it was and owner release or picked up off the street 7days if no one came to get the dog I hate to say it but it would be put down for this very reason of the OP .
I Love dogs and anyone who knows me will vouche for that. But I have seen the destruction they can cause when running loose why no one knows . :s0159:

I have a former co-worker who had an incident with a pit a while back. HE lives North of Redmond bordering some BLM land and apparently a neighbor near him has a pit that occasionally gets out. He was out with his own dog (lab) one night and the pit attacked his dog. He told me of whacking it on the head repetitively with a Mag Lite with no effect until it finally let go. He says he has encountered the dog before but this guy is kind of a docile type and probably wouldn't do anything to save himself even if forced to.

I have been bit by two German Shepards (no reason I could discern, just random attacks), two Labs (one was injured and bit me when i moved it off the road, the other seemed to think I was going to harm his Jack Russell buddy), one pitbull ran out from the house next to my work and promptly bit me below my knee (territorial aggression), been nipped by a few including an Aussie and one mixed breed that didn't like guys wearing hats, and my dog attacked twice by the same Rottweiler in our neighborhood (dog aggressive and territorial aggression). No serious injury resulted but my wife was seriously terrified. That rottie terrorized the entire neighborhood before we moved in. We asked why nobody reported it and were told they didn't want to cause bad feelings with the neighbor. We made a report after each incident and that dog is no longer in our neighborhood as the people sold the house. During the court testimony the female owner indicated we should walk somewhere else, the male said his dog was just playing, and both saying we were nuts in thinking that leash laws should be followed. Scumbags!!! They are lucky the attacks didn't warrant a shooting. We carry 9mm and .357 mag.

Have thought about getting one of those taser type units that is a baton with electrodes down the sides and a shocker on the end. It's been said that the noise from the sparking on the end is often enough to dissuade a menacing monster. If not, one brush on the side of the baton should stop all but determined attackers. The bullet remains as a backup if needed. Munchers beware!!

24754_xl.jpg

Last Edited:
My machine shop is in a light industrial part of town bordering a low income neighborhood. There are metal thieves creeping around on a regular basis, give you an idea of the neighborhood. There are also a handful of pit bulls in the adjacent backyard(s) bordering our parking lot. I assume those dogs are kept there for security/personal protection reasons. If one of them gets loose (not impossible) and I am in the parking lot - I am not planning to pet it.

IMO holding the dog owners accountable is a neccessary thing, but won't bring dead vics back. Any dogs wandering in a pack can be a danger more than a single dog.

Yup, my wife still walks a few miles every day. We live in a small town next to a golf course and many people seem to think they are out in the countryside where dogs can run loose. NOT!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top