JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reminded me of a rather LOW budget movie called "Revenge for Jolly". One of my kids told me about it long ago due to us having a couple MinPins at the time. People kill this guys MinPin and he goes all John Wick on them over it. With several people saying "all this over a dog?" Movie was very low budget but was funny.

This brings up an interesting question. Is it legal to use lethal force to protect an animal?

If someone comes on your property and shoots your dog, they've shown the willingness to kill and it's reasonable to consider your own life in danger and react accordingly.

On the other hand, if they've shot your dog, but are clearly and demonstrably not threatening you when you shoot them, I think you'd better hope the jury is full of dog lovers, or you'll be spending the rest of your days in prison for murder.

This brings up an interesting question. Is it legal to use lethal force to protect an animal?

If someone comes on your property and shoots your dog, they've shown the willingness to kill and it's reasonable to consider your own life in danger and react accordingly.

On the other hand, if they've shot your dog, but are clearly and demonstrably not threatening you when you shoot them, I think you'd better hope the jury is full of dog lovers, or you'll be spending the rest of your days in prison for murder.
Again dealing with the "law" here is hard to make general rules. If someone shoots your dog and you are there I have to assume they still have the gun in their hand? At that point they are threatening you with that gun? Now if they shoot your dog, toss the gun, you chase them down and shoot them? Probably not going to go well.

That is a very good question.

I am in the camp of :
Well he killed my dog...he has shown that he is willing to kill....
That to me is a threat and a danger....And I would do what is necessary to defend myself / stop the threat.

However as you also stated...
Others may not see that way.
As stated above ....by Alex1401...what the shooter / killer / threat does next is very important....

In any event.... I would hope that I have a jury of gun people and dog lovers... :D
Andy

Again dealing with the "law" here is hard to make general rules. If someone shoots your dog and you are there I have to assume they still have the gun in their hand? At that point they are threatening you with that gun? Now if they shoot your dog, toss the gun, you chase them down and shoot them? Probably not going to go well.
Exactly. My point is just that I've seen many, many posts over the years on gun forums, along the lines of, "Anyone messes with my dog, I'll shoot 'em!"

Don't get me wrong, I would never hurt a dog unless I absolutely had to, but you might consider being able to show a reasonable fear of threat to human life before using lethal force to defend your dog.

I admit, I'm not really a dog person, but I do understand what wonderful companions they are to dog lovers, and anyone callous enough to harm your dog (barring some kind of very strong legal reason) should absolutely suffer the strongest legal consequences. A dog may technically be "property", but they're a lot more than just "property" to their owners.

^^^Judging from the comment here and in the OP article ,that shouldn't be a problem.

My question is do I have to actually wait until the prick shoots my dog or can I just skip that step and blast him? The way I look at someone comes onto my property/into my home and displays a deadly weapon in any threating manner, my own deadly weapon is coming out and if it is not met with instantaneous compliance there WILL BE immediate repercussions. I'm not waiting to get shot by some thieving crackhead, nor will I allow it to my dog or family if at all humanly possible.

Cruel and unusual punishment NOW lets think about that in the following countrys you can loose a hand for theft Brunei, Iran, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. Seems like its usual in some places! As to the cruel part ok sure I'll give you that but maybe for a 3rd or fourth offense.

^^^Judging from the comment here and in the OP article ,that shouldn't be a problem.

My question is do I have to actually wait until the prick shoots my dog or can I just skip that step and blast him? The way I look at someone comes onto my property/into my home and displays a deadly weapon in any threating manner, my own deadly weapon is coming out and if it is not met with instantaneous compliance there WILL BE immediate repercussions. I'm not waiting to get shot by some thieving crackhead, nor will I allow it to my dog or family if at all humanly possible.
with what we know him being in his house and shooting the dog, he has used deadly force, and you can as well in defense of yourself and family dog or human, i think the laws protecting dogs now days are fairly equal to human. its legal to break into a car in the heat for a animal and you can be arrested fined and jail for abuse.
plus i love my dogs. Mine passed a year and a half ago(he was 13), but a guarantee you this some scum bag shots my dog, i promise you he wont get out of my yard or home alive. that i promise you. I may have enough ammo to turn him into fertilizer bits to never be seen again.. lol

with what we know him being in his house and shooting the dog, he has used deadly force, and you can as well in defense of yourself and family dog or human, i think the laws protecting dogs now days are fairly equal to human. its legal to break into a car in the heat for a animal and you can be arrested fined and jail for abuse.
plus i love my dogs. Mine passed a year and a half ago(he was 13), but a guarantee you this some scum bag shots my dog, i promise you he wont get out of my yard or home alive. that i promise you. I may have enough ammo to turn him into fertilizer bits to never be seen again.. lol
Couldn't have said it better!

Ask Marcus what happens when you shoot his dog!
I had to look that one up, very sad. I don't understand a person who would do that to someone's pet.

Like I said, I'm not really a dog lover, but I certainly don't hate them. We got a puppy for my daughter three years ago, border collie mix, and he's grown on me. An annoying little monster at times, but he really is a good dog. If something happened to him, my kids would be devastated.

There are genuine dog haters out there. When our dog was younger, he would occasionally escape out the front door and run like the wind, just to run and explore. He's very energetic and over-the-top friendly, but also very gentle. Most people he encountered before we caught him were friendly and understanding, but I'll never forget one guy. A 20 or 30-something guy on a skateboard. The dog ran up to him as he skated down the road, looking for a new friend but didn't get too close or touch him at all. The guy came unglued when he noticed, turned and started screaming and cussing at my daughter, who was trying to catch up with her dog. What a dirtbag. I have no doubt that he would have hurt the dog if he'd have had the chance.

Real simple… he shot my dog , then pointed his gun at me.

It's very reasonable (in my opinion) to assume that someone who's shot your dog presents an immediate threat to human life, but like Alexx1401 said above, if they then drop the gun and start to leave when you shoot them, you'd better be prepared to face a charge of murder.

I know we all tend to get emotional about those we love, but I worry when I see guys post about their willingness to kill anyone who harms their dog, on an open forum no less. I've seen it many times on gun forums. I understand the emotion, but I'd hate to see someone mourning the loss of their dog have to then face a prison sentence.

Bending the truth or embellishing a story to make it funny or more dramatic , is understandable and can be a valuable trait or skill to have.
I have done so many times , in the proper setting...as well as with my audience , so speak , understanding that some tall tale is unfolding.

However...
Out right lying to law enforcement....
Is fraught with danger...even if done for the "greater good"...positive intent...or whatever one wishes to call it.
In any event...
It may not be in your best interest to admit your willingness and or readiness to do so over the internet.

Andy

Cruel and unusual punishment NOW lets think about that in the following countrys you can loose a hand for theft Brunei, Iran, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. Seems like its usual in some places! As to the cruel part ok sure I'll give you that but maybe for a 3rd or fourth offense.
The US Constitution applies to practices used in the United States. It may be usual elsewhere, but it is not usual here. Thus, the prohibition applies.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews