JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
have a neighbor that has a pit did not tell me he got it I am in the country so it is common to hear shooting I was in the back yard had the 45 five he showed up I said something to it it started growling it took an attack stance and moved closer I put a round in the ground in front of it it jumped I fired again it took off I emptied the 45 it went home saw it later it ran home an got under the bed now it runs at any thing that clicks good pit :)
My neighbor had a large dog that often left dog mines in my yard for me to step in. Needless to say I didnt want him in my yard. One day he was sitting in my driveway licking himself with his back towards me. I ran out stomping my feet and yelling as I got closer to him. He was startled and I think he must have bit himself before he ran. Forever after that when he saw me he would retreat to his own yard and when I entered his yard he would get on the porch. If I approached the porch he would move off and go to the back yard. I guess he associated me with unpleasant pain. :D

The dogs that bit me have been as follows.
Chihuahua, Dachshund, (Multiple dogs, multiple bites) Border collie, lab, chow chow, small terrier. A poodle sank two canines above and two below my right eye as a kid. That was by far the most serious. I used to be a paper boy as a kid. I accidentally ran over and killed one of the terriers on my bicycle after he attempted to bite me again. Labs and GSDs have gotten pieces of my clothing. Never had an issue with the scarier looking dogs and I grew up in an area where meth and dog-fighting were big. I despise certain aggressive breeds which people tolerate aggressive behavior from. Chihuahua and Dachshund being the foremost offenders.

I have always owned big dogs and only one bit a human, and he was fully justified as someone climbed the fence with a car antenna to use as a weapon and as he had our 7 ft fence straddled had a 120lb half rott hanging off his calf by the jaws. Said person had attempted to harm my brothers in the past. Hence, he was justified and assessed the situation well.

6 Months ago I was attacked by a 90lb rottweiler and 70lb shepherd. I was in my orchard picking fruit with my lovely wife when our small 22lb mutt started squealing something fierce. I got in the utv and drove over to her, I could not believe my eyes! The rott had her by the throat and the shep by the rear, and they were doing this shaking back and forth. I could see that my dogs intestines where already flapping in the wind along with the shaking. I approached and grabbed my mutt in the mid section, which set the shepherd off on me. She leaped at my face with teeth a snapping I retreaded 4 FAST steps turned around with a glock 27 I had in my waist band and put a round in its side. (hornady critical defense 40sw). I looked at the other dog and from the sound of the gun going off it figured it was time to exit. Instantly I could hear the neighbor screaming that I shot her dog, so I dialed 911 and told them I was attacked by vicious dogs, that I had DEFENDED myself and the dog owner was going crazy and things might get out of control.
The operator told me to put my gun away !! So I asked her if she had been drinking, she replied not to get funny with her.
I explained that the was a loose mad dog on the property, and a crazy neighbor that is unpredictable screaming.
Soon the Police arrived (6 cars) and they questioned me after they were in possession of my 27. They pretty much told the neighbor that she would be lucky if I didn't sue her in court, so she went home with her dog (dead dog)
The cops said they needed to keep my glock and run forensic testing on it. I told them in other words to make sure its not hot or used in the past, they said 10-4
As they were leaving a few of the cops came over and 1 said (nice shot !)
Another one said he was really disappointed with me, so I asked him why? He said cause you didn't shoot them both when you had the chance !!

This was out in the country and my farm is fully fenced with chain link 6' high, they dug under the fence.
Glock is back home after 5 weeks of being fondled by the po pos...

Last Edited:
Mines REAL aggressive...i find it funny that there's comments very similar towards dogs as to what the left says about guns. Make it so "bad" owners cant get them. But how? 20171225_231650.jpg

My neighbor had a large dog that often left dog mines in my yard for me to step in. Needless to say I didnt want him in my yard. One day he was sitting in my driveway licking himself with his back towards me. I ran out stomping my feet and yelling as I got closer to him. He was startled and I think he must have bit himself before he ran. Forever after that when he saw me he would retreat to his own yard and when I entered his yard he would get on the porch. If I approached the porch he would move off and go to the back yard. I guess he associated me with unpleasant pain. :D

For some reason your post made me think of this.............. (start at 1:20)

Ray

Ban Pit Bulls (AR-15's too) they are just to dangerous for anyone to own.

A bit of sarcasm but my point remains strong, it's not the gun (dog) that is the problem, it's the irresponsible owners.

There is no way that any GOV. can solve every problem that plagues the world today and by trying to do so, they are invading our rights under the guise of safety. That is not in their job description.

It's too bad that people nowadays (who know that dangers exist at any given time and place) refuse to defend themselves.

6 Months ago I was attacked by a 90lb rottweiler and 70lb shepherd. I was in my orchard picking fruit with my lovely wife when our small 22lb mutt started squealing something fierce. I got in the utv and drove over to her, I could not believe my eyes! The rott had her by the throat and the shep by the rear, and they were doing this shaking back and forth. I could see that my dogs intestines where already flapping in the wind along with the shaking. I approached and grabbed my mutt in the mid section, which set the shepherd off on me. She leaped at my face with teeth a snapping I retreaded 4 FAST steps turned around with a glock 27 I had in my waist band and put a round in its side. (hornady critical defense 40sw). I looked at the other dog and from the sound of the gun going off it figured it was time to exit. Instantly I could hear the neighbor screaming that I shot her dog, so I dialed 911 and told them I was attacked by vicious dogs, that I had DEFENDED myself and the dog owner was going crazy and things might get out of control.
The operator told me to put my gun away !! So I asked her if she had been drinking, she replied not to get funny with her.
I explained that the was a loose mad dog on the property, and a crazy neighbor that is unpredictable screaming.
Soon the Police arrived (6 cars) and they questioned me after they were in possession of my 27. They pretty much told the neighbor that she would be lucky if I didn't sue her in court, so she went home with her dog (dead dog)
The cops said they needed to keep my glock and run forensic testing on it. I told them in other words to make sure its not hot or used in the past, they said 10-4
As they were leaving a few of the cops came over and 1 said (nice shot !)
Another one said he was really disappointed with me, so I asked him why? He said cause you didn't shoot them both when you had the chance !!

This was out in the country and my farm is fully fenced with chain link 6' high, they dug under the fence.
Glock is back home after 5 weeks of being fondled by the po pos...

As long as I have lived I have never seen a bad dog! Just a bad owner that teaches the dog to be bad. Only thing I would have done different is shooting the dogs first then trying to help mine.

I have seen a bad dog or two. I think dogs are like people. Occasionally they are the equivalent of sociopaths. But that is rare.

Also, auto-correct on my phone sucks.

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the participation.

Most of the comments about real life occurrences appear to include what I think the key elements are in having s plan...

Change of mission
Estimate of Situation
Move to intervene
Equipped to stop the threat
Graduated (appropriate) response
Stopped the threat
Rational actions after the event
Live to tell about it

;)

We (my family of adults) have had wolf/malemute hybrids, Pit and pit mix, labs, and house mutts.
The pits were the most difficult and one had to be put down as it would not learn the strictures of the family including other pets.
another had to find a different home for similar but not AS VIOLENT actions. the wolf malemute s had to be sent to another home when the municipality BANNED that breed.
MY GUNS AND MY DOGS WILL BE UNDER MY CONTROL OR NOT AROUND!!
I haven't had to put my Rock Island on a leash yet, as it is comfortable in its' own house on my hip.

The obvious difference(s) between an inanimate object like a firearm, axe, hammer, or knife, and a living-thinking-eating object like a dog or other meat eating animals (that may [and have] escape from captivity) with claws and teeth; designed and evolved to grab onto, tear into, crush, and chew FLESH, seems to escape the reasoning of some people; even though all perspectives should be appreciated, the nano-second an animal goes on the attack in my A/O; it's "gloves off" AFAIC.

Some attacking animals can be controlled with non-lethal means, others cannot.

I have four pot grows within a quarter mile. Three have pit bulls. I carry a Ruger gp100 in 44 special when out and about. Also, bear, cougar coyotes abound. Be careful out there!

Wow, this on a gun forum. How ironic...ban a breed of dog cause it's "bad", but people are idiots when they want to ban our nasty "assault rifles" and "high capacity" magazines. Who needs those things? Only the military for war of course!
Pits are not inherently aggressive or vicious animals, just as guns are not evil. What dumbasses DO with those dogs and guns is far more impactful to all of us.

One of the friendliest dogs I have ever met in my life was a pitbull, but dogs are individuals and unfortunately the most poopy people on the planet buy pit bulls and inherently make them just like them.

Dogs are like children. In the care and training of the wrong people, they can learn to be real pieces of poop. The dog only knows what it has been trained to do. That being said, everyone definitely needs to have a plan and a conversation with their children/family members about how to protect themselves. I know when I was 18, I believe our long gone poopy neighbor threw one of our cats into the yard of another neighbor who had a very large 120lb Alaskan wolf/malamute mix who was very happy to have a new chew toy. When I heard the commotion I ran out the door (still wearing only pajama pants, no shoes or shirt or socks) jumped the chain link fence, football form tackled the dog and put it in a death grip wrestling cradle move) Another family member collected the cat who survived miraculously with only 1 bite puncture to the back meat. In fact, my family member got it worse because when they naively went to scoop the cat up, the cat was still in major panic mode and bit the bubblegum out of their hand.

Long story short, most aggressive dogs don't know how to respond to ferocity of response. In doing my own testing with my very aggressive ridgeback malinois mix, he will try to bite the bologna out of you when told to do so but if you jam your hand down his throat all he wants to do is make it stop. Its rather contradictory the strategy of shoving your hand down a dogs throat because that is precisely the area that can bite you very badly, but when you are forearm deep in the throat of a dog they will panic and abandon all thought of biting you for the time being.

I just read the post of the gentleman who saw his small dog being disemboweled by two other large dogs. When dealing with multiple dogs, its a no brainer in my opinion, large dogs, multiple of them easily a lethal threat if it got out of hand. Plug them both.

Last Edited:
How can a dog be compared to a ''gun'' any gun? A gun only moves if its moved, it does not have any kind of a thought process, it has no survival instincts, it has no pack instincts, or alfa male, instincts. No protective instincts, but, dogs do as a whole, have all of the above. So, which one is really the one to always be aware of? If a person has a dog that does turn on people, has a history of being a problem, then, the owners should have to carry insurance to protect both the owners and any person that could be involved in a dog ''incident''. Its called being responsible.

I know of several people who have Pitt's which is more or less the subject. To me, they are trying to make a statement, about don't touch me, i'm a tough guy/girl. "Try me type attitude" These are the ones who can be dangerous, and irresponsible about their dogs. None of my ''guns'' have ever bit anyone. Or hurt anyone in any way, i don't think its good to compare gun ownership to dog ownership, big, difference.

Opinions wanted:
Walked our 90 pound lab and our two 7 pound Yorkies to the fenced off leash park Friday. Park is like a half acre in size.
We Waited outside fence line for an owner to enter the double gates with her three 40 pound cattle dogs. As she entered, we walked very close to the outer gate. From 50 yards away a smaller sized Pitt (looked like a Pitt to me) came running down the hill. This Pitt totally ignored the three dogs who had just entered, ignored our lab, and became highly aggressive towards the Yorkies, snarling, barking, with body language I interpreted as wanting to kill.
My wife had her Chihuahua killed 5 years ago by a Pitt who climbed out of a fenced yard as she walked by a house, so this encounter really upset her.
I neither drew, nor put my hand to my L frame I had concealed, we just went home. But I have been very upset about what "could" have happened.
What would I have done if the dog found us after we were inside? Or if the Pitt had scaled the 4 foot fence? If he had my Yorkie in his jaws I feel like I would shoot. Safe background, and able to not risk hitting anyone but the attacking dog of course. Would you?
Thx

Opinions wanted:
Walked our 90 pound lab and our two 7 pound Yorkies to the fenced off leash park Friday. Park is like a half acre in size.
We Waited outside fence line for an owner to enter the double gates with her three 40 pound cattle dogs. As she entered, we walked very close to the outer gate. From 50 yards away a smaller sized Pitt (looked like a Pitt to me) came running down the hill. This Pitt totally ignored the three dogs who had just entered, ignored our lab, and became highly aggressive towards the Yorkies, snarling, barking, with body language I interpreted as wanting to kill.
My wife had her Chihuahua killed 5 years ago by a Pitt who climbed out of a fenced yard as she walked by a house, so this encounter really upset her.
I neither drew, nor put my hand to my L frame I had concealed, we just went home. But I have been very upset about what "could" have happened.
What would I have done if the dog found us after we were inside? Or if the Pitt had scaled the 4 foot fence? If he had my Yorkie in his jaws I feel like I would shoot. Safe background, and able to not risk hitting anyone but the attacking dog of course. Would you?
Thx

I know what i would do, but, where you live, i'm pretty sure you might end up in jail if you'd had to use your weapon. I'd find a better, safer, place to walk my dogs.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so to speak, since I don't have a dog at all myself, but I have learned to be very cautious and alert around any dangerous animal.

Pit bulls especially concern me. I mean no offense towards anyone by this, as I know that many can get pretty defensive of their pets, pit bull owners in particular as they're often targeted for criticism. I'm sure some individual dogs are wonderful animals that would never harm anyone, but personally I could never trust one at all.

I've known three people in my life who have had to put down their beloved pet because they snapped for some reason. One guy was a huge pit bull defender until one day when he had to kill his own dog with a shovel because it was killing his other dog and turned on him when he tried to stop them. Another absolutely loved his dogs, very vocal pit defender, then came home one day to find that his pit bull had killed and dismembered his other dog. The third guy killed his dog in his living room with a kitchen knife because it took a disliking to a buddy who was visiting and wouldn't let go from his face, put him in the hospital.

Please don't be offended if it feels like I'm attacking your dog. I don't mean to. I'm certainly not an expert on the subject and I'm not one to call for banning things, but just my own observations in life lead me to believe that the nature of the breed is such that in general they seem more prone to just snap and kill things, and that makes me very cautious around them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top