JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know of any gunsmiths that can perform this "operation" here in Oregon? If I dare stay in this hobby longer then a year I foresee some wildcatting and collecting of old firearms. However, first point of order, I'm considering going the AI route with my Bergara when it's time to get a new barrel or some time down the road. I've researched the "improvements" to the ground for this cartridge so I'm aware of any PO Akley quotes pertaining to this as well as most retorts. I just don't know the works yet on who does what and if any gunsmith can perform this.

Just order your new barrel with the cartridge you want. Done. Voila. Most barrel manufacturers do the most common AI calibers.
The answer was so simple it eluded me. Makes total sense now, nothing changes but the cartridge seating into the barrel, duh. Then if you use an existing barrel, that's where the reamers come into play. Thank you guys. I know some one out in Estacada, they commute all the way to Hillsboro lol. I'll be PM'ing if something comes up and I have to do this before ordering a new barrel. I've been getting a lot of ideas lately.

Who ever installs the barrel will need the correct headspace gauges. They're $60 tops and you might be ample to borrow them if you post.

One of the things about AI is that it really is so simple.

What caliber do you want to modify and why? It locks you into reloading forever. It gives you about 7-10% extra velocity. Why do you need that? This is not a trick question.

Who ever installs the barrel will need the correct headspace gauges. They're $60 tops and you might be ample to borrow them if you post.

One of the things about AI is that it really is so simple.

What caliber do you want to modify and why? It locks you into reloading forever. It gives you about 7-10% extra velocity. Why do you need that? This is not a trick question.
Ok... I will have to look up headspace gauges, no clue what that is, I'm confused at to whether it's universal or particular to my gun.
Well the question has surfaced, thank you, lol... I want to modify my 270win and try some of the slow burning powders in it. Upon looking at the 280 and 270 it appears they're very similar while one is lauded as the cats pj's the other receives the old Akley quote about being "over bore". I subscribe to the group that believes I can eek out a tiny bit more from my gun so as to achieve certain velocities with certain bullet/powder combos. Right now I have a 24' barrel which is about the minimum I'd want before I AI'ed an existing barrel from the 270win or similar chambering. Eventually I want to expand into other areas with the .277 just imaginary (through research and thinking) or in reality. I feel like the 6.5 creedmoor was born into the heavy for cal class and wildcatting can't improve much on that chambering. Meanwhile the 270 has sat at a 22-24' barrel with 1:10 for so long that a lot of bullets are designed with that specs in mind so I can shoot 90gr to 150gr with the same barrel and twist. Without getting into 150gr+ talks, and back on track, with the 270winAI I could knock down a fraction of the handicap the standard 270 see's with the 140gr and 150gr bullets. I'm thinking I want to load a lot of the Berger 140VLDs and experiment with velocity/accuracy sweet spots(I'd be open to other bullets if my handloads don't live up, not dead set on that exact bullet yet, just that class). Granted I know I could buy a 7mm Rem Mag, until I bought a 300 Win Mag, until I bought a 338L, until... I do have some that I like but I want to stay around .277 and try achieving some goals with the 140gr area... I figure it'll be neat to have 1 270winai that can boast a tiny bit above average figures. When comparing ballistics from the old 270win to modern cartridges it's pretty apparent that not much has improved so if I can get a bit improvement from the 270win I'll be happy. And I've read enough from people with 24-28' barrels that I honestly believe there will be a modest performance boost, enough that justifies me looking into it rather then abandoning ship and getting something more run of the mill.

My best shooting buddy, passed away 2yrs ago, had a .257 Roberts AI he used for deer hunting. It was one of the sweetest shooting rifles I've ever had the pleasure of touching off a few rounds.

Not sure you can improve on a .270Win. But a .280Rem AI would be a good project. IMO.:) Personally, I think AI is best for medium velocity cartridges.

With .270 so close to 7 MM rem mag, the A.
I. Might just be the hot ticket to get you into that territory. While not quite as good on the ballistics of the Big 7, it does edge you closer! Same with the Aught 6, just enough of a boost to get you really close the a .300 win mag, but not burning so much powder or having a case headspace on a rim! I say go for it!
I'm looking at stretching the Grand old Swede 6.5X55 to A.I. to really lean on the 140 gr pills and get closer to some of the wildcats without becoming a barrel burner! It' allready a very accurate shooting rifle, so a boost in velocity and energy to go along with the flight ballistics should be really impressive!:)

I. Might just be the hot ticket to get you into that territory. While not quite as good on the ballistics of the Big 7, it does edge you closer! Same with the Aught 6, just enough of a boost to get you really close the a .300 win mag, but not burning so much powder or having a case headspace on a rim! I say go for it!
I'm looking at stretching the Grand old Swede 6.5X55 to A.I. to really lean on the 140 gr pills and get closer to some of the wildcats without becoming a barrel burner! It' allready a very accurate shooting rifle, so a boost in velocity and energy to go along with the flight ballistics should be really impressive!:)
Ya barrel life is an issue. That's probably my biggest complaint coming from airguns is that I am used to shooting literally every few seconds, all day... Now I have to sit and wait a bit so my barrel don't burn. I'd rather not crankem' out when the barrel is too hot. Perhaps a more mild mannered gun is in the books someday.

Also if you want to see ballistics peaked by the .277 look up "big Jake Duke" thread on his 270-300WM that smokes the pants off the 7mm rem mag. Plus I believe that the NoslerLR 150-16 gr bullets compared between .277 and .284 give the edge to the .277 but can't be too sure as I'm at work now. I know it's possible maybe not practical. I just want a 270winai for the fun of it really. Not expecting the world, the case is already big and non of my loads thus far are even full or compressed.
7mm Matrix vld bc .608

270 Matrix 165 vld .650.

7mm 180 Berger vld bc .659

270 Matrix 175 vld bc .680

Last Edited:
I want one! Owned a 280Rem in a Remington 700BDL... I miss it a lot. Another great deer shooter that will also take elk at reasonable range.

The "plain Jane" 280 is also a great cartridge like you say. BTW Savage has the 110 now chambered in 280 AI, but haven't found one for sale yet.

That Savage 110 With the new Accu stock looks to be a serious rifle, and kowing how they shoot, it's going to be a real gem in the fields. That. 280 blown to A.I. would be smokin, might change my mind about things in that category! I have always wanted to love the 7mm Rem Mag, but just couldn't with the .270 being as good as it is, and if I ever needed more, there was always the. 30/06. And I honestly never saw any benefits in the .300 win mag, so, I'm kind of stuck in between! Then there is the 6.5 MM, which is also quite capable of the same mission, and better external ballistics, so many choices dammit! Lol:D

so many choices dammit! Lol:D

Ain't that always the problem? To many good ones? where the 280, AI or not, comes into play over the 270 and 30-06 are long range ballistics. Run some ballistic calcs and look at supersonic range and energy.

All four - 270, 280, 280 AI and 30-06 all still great rounds that will do everything you need

I would try to be happy with the 270 as is.
If I was going to play in Ackley territory it would be 280AI.
Off-the-shelf ammo is available as well.
I'll only reload. I've noticed though that the commercial ammo for the 270 sucks compared to others. Cabelas for instance has like 5 270 bullets and 2 boxes of loaded ammo for 270win yet they have well over an entire row for 308win... I go to sportsmans warehouse here and they got more 270 bullets then almost any else. I can get 90gr sierra varminters, 110 amax, berger 130 140 150 and I believe 175, 145eld-x, sierra 135 matchkings, nosler 150lrab plus others from about 110 on up, barnes 110ttsx and several others. I love that store...so be forewarned that their stock of 270 bullets might be empty after I leave. plus the matrix bullets I posted above as well as some other smaller company bullets that offer good bcs but I have to buy them online. But that is an option, to be happy with the 270win as is. But I feel if I did that I'd want a model 70 pre-64

Last Edited:
I wouldnt turn my nose up at a nice old Winny, but I would also be quite happy with a Ruger M77 or a purpose built Daumoline Mauser 98 in any flavor that the bolt face can handle! I did pick up 3 Daumoline's for future projects, and they are still available and inexpensive, for now! Matched up to one of the nice Boyds stocks, and you have an awesome set up to work with in any flavor your heart desires!:D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top