JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kimber micro 9

micro 001.JPG

Whatever short list you get SHE has to pick it out. It has to fit her hand (not yours) and she needs to be able to charge it (lots of women, especially if she has her nails done have issues with stiff slides) . I suggest you find a store that has at least one woman behind the register. Your job is to listen and only speak if the saleslady says something wrong. Before you go in prep her as to what cartridges are effective enough while still being controllable.

I took this route with my wife and it worked well.

Add the M&P EZ to the list. Whatever you get make sure you have a similar 22LR for practice. My wife wound up with an M&P Shield w/ laser and I bought the larger M&P 22 that had identical controls (including the frame safety) for training. When we shoot she uses the 22 most, but always shoots the Shield so she is comfortable with the recoil difference.

So I'm in store for a new small but effective gun for my wife something to protect her and keep her safe in this crazy world we live in these days. Any suggestions?
How will she carry it? That largely determines size. I wouldn't bother buying something she won't actually carry liek all the time. A naa .22 mag that's always there is better than a big gun she carryies 1% of the time. And I'm not suggesting NAA is a good EDC, just an example of must have the gun with you or the gun is worthless to protect your life.

Bought my sister a Ruger Security 380. Easy to rack and lighter recoil than 9mm. She recently got her CPL and planning to take classes at a nearby range but they require her to bring her own firearm and ammo. I was going to buy a simple Heritage Arms 22lr/22wmr combo for starters but then these *&^%$ laws kicked in (but I did buy stuff before the laws kick-in). She can always go up or down from there.

If she decides not to keep the firearm, it will probably go to our other sister.

Personally I feel that questions like this are disingenuous, and are meant to drag out the same tired old conversations to no end. Believing that is why I wish I could/should restrict how I see NWFA to the classifieds only.

View attachment 1842865

New members join all the time. He joined in 2024, for him this is fresh. Beyond that, folks dog on people that revive old threads (necrothread) Add the fact that new models of firearms come out each year and you can see that new info on the subject is relevant despite it being rehashed.

Even AK versus AR, I was an AK guy 2009-2017 and then got into ARs, which I now think are superior. Same goes for my take on 1911's, I was far more into glocks but now my views have changed. These rehashed threads sometimes allow folks to provide that new opinion so others seeking this info can get a more well rounded take on what they are looking for.

Plus it keeps forum contribution going. Members can get post counts up, others can get good insight of what worked and what didn't work. New members can see a relevant thread instead of sitting through old posts. Sometimes folks see the new threads and have info about what their significant other shoots well with.

Unless a thread is pinned, the old ones fade out and due to a lack of search function tags sometimes they get buried.

Agree with all of those who said mouse guns (esp. small 9s) are not especially easy for a novice to handle. I know everyone has some crackerjack Annie Oakley relative who can shoot the Kimber Micro-9 100 yards left-handed, but let's be real about the average shooter.

You a right to come here and solicit opinions first. Too many gun store employees don't listen too well. They will put all kinds of stuff in your wife's hands that won't work for her. Take your wife to an indoor range first and have her try some different pistols. Just my .02.

For home defense do consider a Walther PDP. The Walther is incredibly comfortable for people with smaller hands. These are highly underrated - so good they are boring IMO. And the price is excellent for what you get.

HellCat
P365
Canik mete Mc9
G43X
CSX

Get each one in her hands and find which one is the most comfortable. The Hellcat Pro and P365 X/XL/macro variations.

I think an original size P365 would be a nice choice. You can build it bigger if need be by using a higher capacity mag, threaded barrel, and she can have a light and laser combo. And if/when she gets tired of the grip color, she can order a different one and have the grip module delivered to the house.

She can have sesonal themed grips lol, super adorbs…….. I'm gonna leave now.

So I'm in store for a new small but effective gun for my wife something to protect her and keep her safe in this crazy world we live in these days. Any suggestions?
Go home, get your wife and bring her back to the store and let her pick one out on her own.

I think an original size P365 would be a nice choice. You can build it bigger if need be by using a higher capacity mag, threaded barrel, and she can have a light and laser combo. And if/when she gets tired of the grip color, she can order a different one and have the grip module delivered to the house.

She can have sesonal themed grips lol, super adorbs…….. I'm gonna leave now.
Got jokes huh.?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads